Botox & Iontophoresis to Cure Excessive Sweating?

Jenny on #3366

Hi everyone!!! I have heard that botox and a treatment called iontophoresis (a technique of introducing ionic medicinal compounds into the body through the skin by applying a local electric current) can cure sweating. Is there anyone here who tried any of these and solved the problem?

Rissa on #3381

Hi Jenny! I have tried both, Botox was done in both hands when I was 16, it didn't work and it was very painful. I think this is meant to work best for underarms?
        When I was 20 I tried Iontophoresis, it worked a little but not really and my feet just seemed to swell more.

Alvin on #3380

I asked my doctor about iontophoresis and he said he had never heard of it 😀

Chang on #3379

I believe it all depends upon what is the cause of the hyperhydrosis. Ask your doctor about this, I am sure they know what course of action is medically approved to treat it.

Gen on #3695

Botox is a very effective treatment for hyperhidrosis. The dosing is based on areas to be treated but it can vary around 50 – 100 units per side depending on how large the treatment area. Duration also depends on dose, but can vary from 3-6 months. I have always been amazed that more people don't do this and that it's not commonly known. It really works great to dramatically reduce underarm sweating. I have found out that the effect lasts for about 9 months on average, which is longer than the effect for facial wrinkles. I typically use 50 units per side. Some physicians report the effect lasting only 3-4 months, but I think that is because they use less Botox.

Ted Enriquez on #3727

Iontophoresis is a treatment that uses electrical stimulation. It is used mainly to treat sweating of the palms and/or soles but can also be used to treat armpit sweating. Treatment involves putting the affected areas into a small container filled with water. A small electrical current is then passed through the water, from a special machine. The treatment is safe but may cause some discomfort or a pins and needles feeling. Initially, one may need 3-4 sessions per week, around 20-40 minutes per session.
        Botox, on the other hand, is an option that usually works well for armpit sweating. Treatment consists of many small injections just under the skin in the affected areas. It stops the nerves in the skin that control the sweat glands from working. The downside of botox is that the effect usually wears off after 4-12 months. Therefore, to keep working, the treatment needs repeating when the effect wears off. – TEDD

pat897 on #4218

I would say that botox does not cure excessive sweating; the shots are usually effective for several months and then need to be repeated. It is sometimes used to stop sweating in the hands, face, and feet, as well. Iontophoresis on the other hand is believed that the electricity and the minerals in the water work together to slightly thicken the top layer of skin to block the flow of sweat to the skin’s surface. Several iontophoresis sessions are also needed to help hands and feet sweat less. Eventually, people are put on a maintenance schedule of once a week or once a month, depending on their individual needs.

Chris on #4269

Hi.

I got migraines and have had Botox shots in my forehead, scalp, and neck for the past 8 months. It seems as though my hyperhidrosis began around the same time, possibly earlier. It is getting really worse. Whenever I move, even if just to walk around and do a couple things in the house, right away my head starts sweating excessively and dripping down my neck. My hair is drenched almost immediately.

My question is, why doesn't the Botox help my hyperhidrosis? Can someone give me an idea and how will I stop my excessive sweating?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris

Gill on #4411

Hi Jenny,

I believe botox does work for hyperhydrosis, I have heard a lot about it. But when i asked my dermatologist she laughed in my face, she said it didn't work. It's all about the NHS saving money, but if you can afford to go private, do so. The medical profession don't appreciate how debilitating facial and head sweating is. I also asked my doctor about iontophoresis and he said he had never heard of it. Funny huh? I have an appointment with another dermatologist and will ask if they own such a machine. Will keep you posted.

Smile and good luck,
        Gill

David on #4467

Why not give iontophoresis a try? It really works on the head and scalp. Botox treatments are very expensive in the long run as they must be repeated regularly. An iontophoresis machine like the Idromed 5 PC and Hidrex is also pricey at first – but you pay for it only once – and they are built to last a lifetime. And besides, if iontophoresis doesn't work for you, you can get your money back. I believe for Idromed there is an 8-week trial period in which if the treatment doesn't work for you, your money will be refunded. I would certainly recommend giving iontophoresis a chance before trying Botox or any other invasive therapy.

Jack5589 on #4545

I would say that iontophoresis certainly works!

Botox treatments work too, but are very expensive in the long run as they must repeated regularly. An iontophoresis machine like the Idromed 5 PC is also pricey at first- but you pay for it only once -and they are built to last a lifetime.

Also, if iontophoresis did not work for you, you can get your money back. This is because there is an eight-week trial period. I would certainly recommend giving iontophoresis a chance before trying Botox or any other invasive therapy. I tried iontophoresis five years ago and it worked for me.

Weng on #4656

I have tried both, Botox was done in both hands when I was about 17, sadly it did not work and was very painful. The doctor actually discharged me as soon as it was done and I was never even given a follow up appointment.

When I was 20 my dad bought me the iontophoresis machine, an Idromed 5 PC device, it worked a little but not really and my feet just seemed to swell more.

Just last February, I had ETS surgery and it has been amazing.. so far. I had two ops for my hands and they went well. My left hand is 100% dry, then the right has a tiny bit of clamminess just on two of my fingers.

Sharmaine on #10272

Must stick with botox

Viewing 12 reply threads
Reply To: Botox & Iontophoresis to Cure Excessive Sweating?
Your information:

Skip to toolbar