Hot Yoga

• Participant
        Twinkle on #1708

Are you practitioning hot yoga of any kind? I would love to share my yoga experiences with another hyperhidrosis patient. 🙂

First some info: Bikram Yoga is probably the most popular type of hot yoga, but it is by no means the only one. Hot yoga is basically any yoga that is being practitioned in a room with high temperature, ideally set at 40°C. The air should also have high moisture level.

I like to joke that it's like doing yoga in a tropical rainforest, two experiences for the price of one, lol. 🙂

Why am I even writing about this? Well, I have a notable case of palmar, plantar and axillary hyperhidrosis. This means that for years, I've been dreading any type of exercise (especially in public!), because my sweating was so embarrassing.

The thing with hot yoga is – there, EVERYBODY sweats! Big time! And in these circumstances, my excessive sweating doesn't stand out – in fact, I'm like everyone else there. Of course, some sweat more, some sweat less, but overall, heavy sweating is a norm during hot yoga classes.

In a nutshell, it's a perfect activity for hyperhidrosis patients. 🙂 I am really happy I found a good studio in the area, and I already made some great friends there. And the best part – I usually sweat less for hours after my yoga class. 🙂

Rich on #2838

Thanks so much for this post. Very helpful. Your advice has given me the push to start hot yoga! Thank you

Jean on #3913

Sweating is perfectly normal. But excessive sweating could be a sign of other health problems. Rebalancing the body's systems could be a good way of lessening these issues. Yoga is a great way of doing that. There are forms of yoga that are more vigorous and fast-paced. Bikram yoga (or Hot Yoga) is one of these, which is performed in heated rooms – so as to make you sweat more. But this could actually be a good thing for sufferers of excessive sweating. Firstly, everyone will be soaked through, so you needn't feel self-conscious. And secondly, sweating is one way the body tries to expel toxins. So getting hot and sweaty while you work out can help speed this process. Then your body is under less pressure to ‘sweat out' the toxins the rest of the time. Since yoga addresses many of the health issues that lead to excessive sweating, yoga can be an effective route to not only reducing the symptoms, but also treating the cause.

Gabrielle on #4316

I have been practicing Bikram yoga daily for 5 months and now I sweat more than ever, and more than the other students my age. It feels like being in steam sauna and not in a yoga class. I experience that the excessive sweating during the class weakens me. And so my posture is not improving that much.

I drink a lot of water so I will not get dehydrated although my skin has suffered break outs which I normally do not have. I am a bit fed up with the extreme sweating and not improving my postures more, I am even thinking of giving up bikram yoga. However I do get something out of it.

Is this just a phase? Should I trust the process and stick with it? It would be nice to hear from people who has been practicing bikram for longer time than me.

Jeany on #4405

Excessive sweating can be a sign of other health problems. Luckily, rebalance the body's systems could be a good way to alleviate these problems. And yoga is one of the best natural ways to control excessive sweating. This can be through meditation, calming down the nerves, and then subsequently lessening sweat production. Since yoga teaches proper breathing, it works well especially when one is stressed or uneasy.

Yoga combines breathing and movement. The goal is to harmonize the body and to correct any imbalance. It is therefore possible that the regular practice of yoga can address the underlying cause of symptoms – even if you do not know the cause.

Yen34 on #4546

Yoga is not a workout, it’s “work-in.” During a regular yoga practice, you will work every system of the body: skeletal, muscular, digestive, circulatory, lymphatic, respiratory, endocrine, reproductive, nervous, reproductive, and cardiovascular.

Yoga will improve your overall fitness, detoxify your system, boost your wellbeing and stabilise your anxiety. Since it addresses many of the health issues that lead to excessive sweating, yoga can be an effective route to not only reducing the symptoms, but also treating the cause.

What you see on the outside—a lean, strong body—is merely a byproduct of what you get on the inside. Yoga is said to be a virtual fountain of youth, but it’s not a quick fix. It takes work, but the work you put in you get back in dividends.

Tina on #5127

Hi! I am just curious, are you making your own yoga mat? and what fabrics mixtures do you guys use to stay in place? I’m very sensitive to any material other than cotton. I had a friend who used to make a pallet but she never gave me the full specs on what she was using. Thank you for this discussion and your advices, I found it really helpful, while I’m not a sweater, I did sometimes find the yoga mat a little hard, so softer in general is nice!

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Hot Yoga
Your information:

Skip to toolbar