How to Play Video Games with Sweaty Hands

Posted In: Hyperhidrosis Forum

• Participant
        Lucas on #1179

Hi!
        Are there any gamers here? Either way, it won't harm if I share some awesome tips for playing video games with sweaty hands. In fact, I have one ultimate tip, and it boils down to two words: Plastic wrap. Yes, the good old ordinary transparent plastic wrap, typically used to pack food leftovers. :mrgreen:

How this works:
        Keyboard – carefully cover it with plastic wrap, not too tight, but not too loose either. You have to be able to use the keys without ripping the wrap. Make sure that the wrap sticks to the edges/bottom of the keyboard. If you want to feel extra safe, apply two layers of wrap.
        Mouse – you can carefully wrap the mouse, but the wheel is a deal breaker here – you will need to cut the wrap to keep the mouse wheel free. Now, this partly ruins the protection, but if you are not sweating a lot from your fingers, you can still make it work.
        Controllers – learning to wrap it might take some patience and practice, but there's no great wisdom here. Once you get the hang of it you will love being able to play for hours without forcing your sweaty hands into a pair of gloves.
        Portable gaming consoles – sadly, I still think gloves are the best solution here and use them with my Nintendo 3DS. I recommend latex-free gloves (e.g. a vinyl variant) as they are more comfortable.

Other advices:
        – Air conditioning! Play in a cool room to reduce your excessive sweating in general.
        – Take regular breaks and wash your hands in cold water.
        – Replace the plastic wrap after every session, or even during it if needed.
        – Apply antiperspirant to your hands a couple of hours before you start playing.

Sorry for the long post, and I hope this works for others as well as it does for me! 🙂

• Participant
        Leb on #1181

This is really good. 😮 😀
        I think the Internet is swamped with advices on playing video games with sweaty palms etc, but I think 90% of those advices simply tells people to use gloves, antiperspirants and other treatments… Basically it all comes down to good old “how to not sweat” instead of focusing on this specific situation. It's refreshing to see a different approach! I will try this out. 😀

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Leb. Reason: correcting a typo
      • Participant
        Lucas on #1230

Awesome, let me know how it goes! It takes some getting used to since the “feel” is definitely not the same when holding the controller/using keyboard over the wrap with sweaty palms – it's sometimes even slippery if you are sweating profusely. Still, it's a relief not having to trap my sweaty hands into gloves. And replacing wrap is much easier than cleaning the controller from sweat. 😛

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: How to Play Video Games with Sweaty Hands
Your information:

Skip to toolbar