Alternative Treatments for Hyperhidrosis?

• Keymaster
        Rohit on #605

Have you tried the non traditional treatments (Yoga, herbal teas, acupuncture etc) for your Hyperhidrosis? Please share your experiences – hope other can learn from your experience…

• This topic was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Rohit.
        Elena V. on #792

Speaking of teas, a while ago I've heard that sage tea is the best. I have been drinking it for a few weeks now and it seems to have some effect. At the moment I can't really say how much it helps on its own, since I'm also using aluminum antiperspirants all the time.

Hopefully I' will discipline myself into drinking sage tea every day (it's recommended to drink 2 cups a day.) I'll let you know if this turns out to be a decent hyperhidrosis treatment! πŸ™‚

• Participant
        Leb on #907

@ Elena
        I will definitely buy Sage tea asap!

Iontophoresis is not for me, and antiperspirants are only partially effective. So, before I turn to more aggressive methods to stop sweating, I want to explore the alternative field. It's all quite unknown to me. Also, I would love to hear about alternative treatments that work for palmar hyperhidrosis. πŸ™‚

Yoga seems unpractical for sweaty palms, though. Can you even wear gloves while exercising?

• Participant
        Sean M. on #983

I did some Yoga in the past and I'm thinking of taking up Yoga classes again as soon as I rearrange my daily schedule.
        Anyway, Yoga makes you sweat like crazy, but after that, it's pure bliss… Dry bliss. :mrgreen: Important note though: if you have sweaty hands and feet, make sure to wear special gloves and socks. Even carry an extra pair of gloves with you if your palmar hyperhidrosis is severe. Also, wear clothes that are not necessarily sweat-proof, but ones that dry super-fast. If you end up a little wet, it's not that bad though, so don't worry. πŸ˜‰

• Participant
        Ramona on #990

Hi Sean, can you please tell me if Yoga has a calming effect on you? I mean, psychologically? Apparently Yoga can be used to achieve mild forms of meditation, and it seems like something that could give me peace, and at the same time keep me from sweating too much.
        Umm, but I wouldn't really like taking Yoga classes… the idea makes me uncomfortable. My idea is to get some DVDs with Yoga for beginners and exercise alone at home. ^^'

• Participant
        Sean M. on #1007

Ramona, you probably won't like what I have to say, but… my opinion is that a good Yoga instructor is invaluable. DVDs can hardly replace a real live class, a real live example, etc. Don't worry, everybody sweats in Yoga classes – even the people who don't have hyperhidrosis. You will not stand out that much. πŸ˜‰

And yes, after a good Yoga class I feel wonderfully exhausted and calm. Serenity and bliss. I think you'd love it. πŸ˜‰

• Participant
        Melanie on #1058

I can recommend Hushed Sea Hyperhidrosis Herbal Tea – it's delicious and I'm convinced it helps me maintain a semblance of control over my overactive sweat glands. =) The tea is not a miracle worker on its own and I combine it with other hyperhidrosis treatments, but I noticed further improvements after I started drinking Hushed Sea, so I know the tea makes a difference. Good enough for me. =)

Elena V. on #1097

Melanie, I think the best ingredient in Hushed Sea tea is actually Sage. πŸ˜‰ So we are basically using the same thing, with the difference that Hushed Sea also contains Valerian root, Astragalus and St Johns Wort. Buying Sage and making my own Sage tea is cheaper so that's why I opted for this in the long run – I drink a lot of it!
        However, the Hushed Sea (I tried it once) is tastier. Now I envy you. :mrgreen:

• Participant
        Ramona on #1158

my opinion is that a good Yoga instructor is invaluable. DVDs can hardly replace a real live class

Even when I'm not sweating too much, I don't feel comfortable in rooms full of people, which is why I would prefer taking Yoga lessons at home. I can imagine a lot of people are sweating a lot during Yoga classes, but even with that I think that Yoga DVDs are a better option for me. I want Yoga to relax me and stop my overactive sweat glands, and this will hardly happen if I'm anxious. :/

• Participant
        Stephanie Meister on #1246

Hi all- just wanted to share, I've found some great success with a product called Antihydral by foosballdirect. Its original purpose was for climbers to dry their hands. Well I've had palmar hh for 25 years and tried a variety of things. This cream is sold in a tube and cost is 20.00. I use about 2-3 tubes a year. Basically this is what I do. At night before bed, I
        apply a light layer of the cream and go to bed with it. Wash off when I wake up. 3-4
        nightly applucations does the trick. It dries out the top layer of my hands for about 2 weeks. At times it will make the palm part of your hand real dry and a little yellowish from dead skin. After 2-3 weeks your hand will be wet/normal again or time to reapply. I've found this to get me thru some tough times. Church, weddings, club nights, airports. All the places where masses of people up the sweating. I eve used it in Florida on vacation. Its pretty cool bc after you've used it for a few nights and you get sweaty your hand gets warm but is still dry to touch. For me a over dry hand is better than a soaking wet one. If you'd like a pic of what my hand looks like email me at [email protected]. I even wrote the company to thank them for a great product and now the insert mentions hh. Happy to answer any questions #hhboatstinks! Stephanie

• Keymaster
        Rohit on #1247

Thanks Stephanie for letting us know of Anthydral – I had heard about that, but had no first hand account of how it works. It seems to work very similar to the antiperspirants.

If you'd like, can you post the pics of your dry hands here? A picture is worth a thousand words! πŸ™‚

Linda on #5741

My head sweats really bad ….I’m trying the Hashed Sea tea now (first day) I pray that it helps…if anyone can steer me to something else please let me know .

Linda

Kathleen on #5905

Alternatives treatment is indeed the best option for the hyperhidrosis . I've had this problem for years, yes it's embarrassing but it is something you can live with. If you're not sweating I would be worried. For me botox was not an option – it was just plain scary! I've used underarm pads. They definitely stop the eternal musty smell from my clothing, and have saved the color on my shirts! This method – the underarm pads I think is the best solution. I've definitely suggested these to a few of my friends who think its ridiculous, but after trying them out – they LOVE them too. If you have any questions shoot me one and I'll try to check back. Good luck!

cindy on #6126

I've been dealing with sweat for years and I could not wear anything I've just had Botox injections.it was a pain that's bearable but lumpy afterwards. I had two big pads underneath both arms and I got told to wear them for 24 hours or for 48 hours I'm not sure when I can wear stray or even shave under my arms yet but I'm hoping I can get back to normal soon I go back to the hospital in 6 weeks and if I need some more than I just phone them and they will get me in but that's only when it starts wearing off.

ryan on #6183

hii everyone!
        Sweating too much? Try changing out your morning coffee to green tea, to get in on these sweat-blocking benefits. Green tea contains magnesium and vitamin B, which prevent you from sweating too much and keep you calm. For the black tea, it has also a constrict properties and can decrease sweat when applied directly to your skin. Make a couple black tea bags in 3-4 cups of hot water, steep for at least 10 minutes. Put a washcloth in the solution and rub it on your underarms. Hope this would help.

franco on #6420

hai
        For me I , Practice good hygiene by washing and drying areas affected by excessive sweating several times a day as necessary.Also by simply drinking a glass of tomato juice OR Eating a tomato-rich diet everyday will help you control excessive sweating. If you don’t like much the taste of tomatoes, try applying tomato juice to your underarms (or wherever you sweat most). Before rinsing it off let it lay for at least 10 minutes. For those cancer-fighting persons, tomatoes can also shrink your pores and can reduce chronic sweat by regulating your internal temperature. Though various treatments are available, these natural methods of preventing excessive body sweating are inexpensive and easier to implement

randolf on #6517

hai
        As we all know cornstarch and baking soda are natural water-absorbing agents. Wherein baking soda is alkaline, it acts as a natural deodorant and neutralizes body odor. By simply using a mixture of two parts cornstarch to three parts baking soda you can create your own powder deodorant. Before rinsing off with water put the mixture directly to your dry skin and let it lay for at least 30 minutes. For disadvantages leaving the mixture on your skin too long can create uncomfortable side effects. Also, Citrus fruits are another way to add fiber to your diet, and the acid in them readily flushes through your body, dismissing compounds that could cause lingering odor. Have grapefruit for breakfast or have an orange as a snack. hope this would help.

matthew on #6828

Hi,

I've been dealing with sweat for years and I could not wear anything I have suffered with this problem for my entire life and endured countless embarrassing situations. Perspiration (sweat) is part of the body's natural cooling system, and there are times and places where nobody thinks anything of it if you sweat. In the gym, for instance, or after any demanding physical activity, or on a sweltering summer day.it can be so embarrassing and awkward to be the one whose face or hands always seem to be dripping. Or if your clothes always have a dark patch under the arms, when everyone else seems cool and collected. This is really a big problem for me. I need some solutions. Thanks.

Romer S on #7742

For me, a good alternative treatment is over-the-counter antiperspirant designed to control excessive sweating. Options include Its Dri and Secret Clinical Strength. If your condition is severe however, your doctor may prescribe a stronger antiperspirant.

It is also best to apply antiperspirant before bed and washed off in the morning. For excessive sweating on your face, your doctor may prescribe a topical cream containing glycopyrrolate or anticholinergic cloths. Both have an antiperspirant effect. Possible side effects of the cloth include headache, sore throat, skin dryness, and stinging or burning. Temporary pupil dilation or blurry vision can occur if the medicine comes in contact with your eyes.

edward on #7788

Hi, let me just share to you my brother's experience from hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating.

He used to be suffering from excessive sweating like even when just after taking a bath , he would be sweating like crazy. He suspected that maybe it's because of his obesity and/or may be because he has high level of sugar.

So he tried avoiding eating foods that are loaded with carbohydrates and sugar such as, bread, chocolates and chocolate drinks, colas, pizzas, burgers, pastas, and ice creams.. etc.

He tried eating only foods that are rich in proteins such as lean meats, fish, egg, dairy products, tofu, beans. Added on his diet are vegetables and fruits.
        He also tried jogging for 30 minutes every other day, to burn fats and to reduce weight.

And gladly , after months of consistently doing so, there was a very good result. He no longer suffering from excessive sweating until today. Hope this will help you also.

Gerald on #7806

Hi,

Have you tried wearing Uniqlo brand tees? The one they brand as “Dry” and the other one is “Airism” ?
        Or the Nike's “Dry Fit” shirts?

I found these kind of brands helpful since I am sweating too much. I think these are one the best brands i've ever had. These tees are so comfortable and very refreshing to wear.

Having HH, is a really a struggle for my everyday living. Though, I am also considering some other treatments like Botox or Iontophoresis, but as of now, relaxation, meditation and wearing the brands I mentioned earlier already helped a lot to reduce my excessive sweating.

Viewing 20 reply threads
Reply To: Alternative Treatments for Hyperhidrosis?
Your information:

Skip to toolbar