Acupuncture

• Participant
        jessie on #1470

Curious to hear if there are any miraculous success stories about acupuncture and hyperhidrosis. 🙂
        There are some good reports online, but some people also write that it can be unpleasant or painful. My impression is also that acupuncture can be unreliable, so in theory you don't have guaranteed results – a thing that can be taxing in the long run.

Personally I'm a little freaked out by the idea of acupuncture (not a big fan of needles, even if they're super thin…) Then again, it is a practically ancient method renowned to work with many health issues, so why not… Probably the biggest problem is finding a good, reputable and 100% capable acupuncturist.

P.S. Here are some “yahoo answers” testimonials about acupuncture.

Aaron Cuso on #3652

Hi Jessie,

Acupuncture is extremely successful in the treatment of sweating. In fact, how one sweats is a key factor in identifying disharmony within the body. While excessive sweating can be treated with surgery and drugs, it is worthwhile to know that there is an alternative to invasive and often risky procedures and medications.

Before acupuncture begins, it is important to correctly diagnose the disease. Your acupuncturist may do an interview and ask questions about how, what, where and when you perspire, sleep, drink and exercise, to name a few. The practitioner may also feel the pulse and observe your tongue. This interview and physical examination will help create a clear picture on which your practitioners can create a treatment plan specifically for you.

Acupuncture works. But your experience with acupuncture will depend largely on the practitioner that you choose. If you like and trust your practitioner, your encounter with acupuncture will be more positive.

Aaron

Vic Richards on #3666

From a Traditional Chinese Medicine perspective, the points used to treat a condition such as excessive sweating depends on an individual person’s accompanying signs and symptoms, overall health, and lifestyle. This means that not all persons suffering from excessive sweating would necessarily be treated alike. Both local and distal points may be used with different point combinations to address a particular person’s condition and general constitution. The primary goals of Traditional Chinese Medicine and acupuncture would be to regulate excessive sweating by correcting any energetic balances in the body based on pattern differentiation, and to harmonize the mind and body so that emotional disturbances do not aggravate the condition further.

Dennis Quinto on #3706

Yes, acupuncture, the traditional Chinese healing art, might relieve excessive sweating. Unlike western medicine, the framework understands disease as the blockage of qi or vital energy along specific pathways, called meridians, which relate to various organs. Stimulating specific points along these meridians can restore balance, conceived in terms of stagnation or flow, dampness or dryness, heat or cool. Sweating can be a sign of many types of energetic blockages. Sweating on the hands may indicate heat in the stomach and intestine, dampness and deficiency of the stomach, or deficiency of the liver and kidney. Acupuncture regulates organ functioning and promotes harmony between the internal and external body so as to arrest excessive sweating. Acupuncture will have enhanced and more sustainable results when used with herbal remedies. An acupuncturist will asks you on some additional symptoms to determine the best method of curing.
        -Dennis

lauren on #3771

I am an acupuncturist. I have severe hyperhidrosis. I can tell you honestly that acupuncture may or may not help. One thing I can say is a majority of people who get treated for a certain issues/condition usually fall in love with acupuncture even when their original condition may not progress as they had hoped. This is due to the holistic balancing nature of acupuncture which results in calming of the flight/fight (sympathetic) nervous system (which can also lead to decreasing in sweating, rapid breathing, digestive problems, headaches) and helps regulate and increase the calm and connect (parasympathetic) nervous system.
        Some people with sweating disorders may have great results with just this. Others may not have as good results in sweat reduction but some results from the calming of the nervous system that is promoting the sweating.
        Some practitioners also use herbal remedies that can help decrease the sweating as well.
        Food therapy/diet can play a role too.
        It still a mystery at this point as to why it's happening, even western medicine doesn't understand why the nervous system is over-reacting they just know it is. And Eastern medicine has good pattern diagnosis as to how to help sweating too but I've only heard of managing symptoms, or managing anxiety or food intolerances or some other deficiency that could exacerbate these symptoms. Eastern medicine tries to coax the body back into a naturally functioning state, whereas western medicine changes/alters the bodies functions with medicine or surgery. Both have their pros/cons.
        My personal opinion on it is, depending on whether you sweat just due to anxiety or if it's anytime/all the time thing you will get different results.
        I do feel that acupuncture overall is a wonderful medicine to help calm the mind and keep a good flow of the physiological processes. This can improve current disorders as well as be used for preventative medicine.
        If it doesn't ‘fix' your sweating, which is doesn't ‘fix' mine, it at least may give you a calmer mind and heart about the condition as well as a myriad of other improvements of things, like it has for me.
        Things acupuncture has helped for me include:
        calmer mind, less stress, no more TMJ, better sleep, better moods, better breathing, little to no IBS symptoms, little to no more heart palpitations and more. overall I'm a happier more accepting person of mine and other peoples issues/abnormalities.

What does it feel like?
        Yes acupuncture is gently but it is a needle going into your skin so it could pinch at times. Japanese style is much lighter with much smaller needles that may or may not puncture the skin.
        There's also needle-less acupuncture that can be done with little hand held electrical stimulators.
        Or acupressure could be utilized instead as well.

Hope this helps and good luck

Audrie on #5210

Lauren,

I ready your reply regarding hyperhydrosis and would like to speak with you since you are an acupuncturist. May I email you to ask you some questions?

Audrie on #5227

I read your post and would like to speak with you directly. Can you please provide a way to contact you?
          Your attention is greatly appreciated.

Shterna on #5357

Hey Lauren,
          I am an acupuncture student with severe hyperhidrosis and was wondering if we can talk about how you managed and deal with the learning and treating process with this condition. Would love to talk , and thank you for the honesty in this post 🙂

Jayjay on #3784

Excessive sweating can make handshake an embarrassing moment, it can make wearing shoes without socks inconceivable. While sweating is natural and healthy, excessive perspiration known as hyperhidrosis, affects a significant percent of the population and can cause great stress and distress. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine are extremely successful in the treatment of sweating. As a matter of fact, how one sweats is a key factor in identifying disharmony within the body. Sweat is considered a fundamental substance in Chinese medical text and is studied in-depth. While sweating disorders can be treated with surgery and drugs, it is worthwhile to know that there is an alternative to invasive and often risky procedures and medications.

Jean Mary on #3958

I can’t say that acupuncture is a definite cure for hyperhidrosis, but I do feel there was an overall benefit for me personally. Results are often slightly confusing – the question becomes not ‘does it work?' but ‘how much does it work and how sustainable is the improvement?' – some people improve after treatment, others don't.

I can say with certainty that treatment at the hands of a properly trained and qualified practitioner will not do you any harm, and the practitioner may be able to offer some help.
        There are a number of specific syndromes recognized in Chinese medicine where perspiring is a central symptom, and if there were other confirming proof of this syndrome the practitioner could say with some assurance that they could offer some hope through treatment.

Kath S on #4098

I’ve had acupuncture for my sweating last month, with mixed results, sometimes it works great, but sometimes it doesn’t seem to help at all. I think my diet is meddling with it and when I’m eating right, I seem to get the best results. You know how when you’re in the grove, when your body and mind are quick and feel optimized? That’s when the acupuncture works best for me, but finding that grove right balance is very hard for me!

One advice: Check the hyperhydrosis practitioner’s credentials. An acupuncture practitioner specializing in excessive sweating, who is licensed with credentials may provide better care than one who is not.

Ben G. on #4337

I'm new to this discussion, but I was very used to hearing about the complications of hyperhidrosis from my chiropody and podiatry patients. I personally cannot recommend ETS or Botox, you'll most likely regret it. Try out a strong antiperspirant like Sweat Protect.

I have two treatment options for hyperhidrosis of the feet. The first is acupuncture, and the second is iontophoresis. The latter is the most commonly used treatment for hyperhidrosis of the axillae (underarms), hands and feet in the NHS. It is a device that passes a small electrical current from one limb to the other and stops the sweat gland from producing sweat in 87% of cases.

Charlie on #4402

If you’re having trouble with excessive sweating and conventional methods like clinical strength deodorants or even more advanced treatments such as Iontophoresis is no longer working, then Acupuncture may be your next step.

Acupuncture originated in Asia in the form of Chinese medicine. Most of the times, holistic medicine like this is overlooked by modern western medicine and may be worth pursuing before attempting surgery or prescription medications.

I’ve tested it out for a couple of months and can attest to the noticeable difference in my sweating. Surprisingly, I found Acupuncture to be a really powerful solution for controlling my sweating. Everything from your hands, your body and face to how to prevent foot sweating.
        I found that while receiving this treatment, I felt overall more relaxed and I definitely attribute that to my decrease in anxiety induced sweating.

Matthew on #4481

Acupuncture works! But your experience with acupuncture will depend largely on the practitioner that you choose. You need to find an acupuncturist that you click with. If you like and trust your practitioner, your encounter with acupuncture will be more positive.

You will also want to know about the acupuncturists training and experience and what to expect from the acupuncture treatment. Decide in advance what your expectations are and discuss them with your acupuncturist. A chronic illness may need several months of acupuncture treatment to have a noticeable effect. If you are not happy with your progress, think about changing acupuncturists or check with your western doctor for advice about other options.

The clearer you are about who it is that is treating you and exactly what the treatment entails, the more you will be able to relax during the acupuncture session and benefit from this ancient form of health care.

• Participant
        nick goerge on #4603

hi
        Any form of treatment has some degree of psychosomatic component. A study of the role of hypnotic suggestion in acupuncture was done in a double-blind study setting, which revealed there were minimal effects of hypnosis and/or power of suggestion. Two cases are reported for further illustration.

Jenny on #4912

Hi!

I suggest you guys to try iontophoresis device. I personally use Iontoderma. Based on my experience,  it produces a very good result. It makes use of direct current from electricity. This current when combined with water will help treat the excessive sweating that occurs in your palms and your feet. For me it is very effective on my plantar hyperhidrosis. No sweats at all! The con of this product is that it was designed to be use for the feet and palms only unlike some other machines that can be use for the back, the face and the armpit.

Regards,

Jenny

Sam on #5630

I had hyper excessive sweating on my hands and feet since senior high. I thought it was just something I would have to deal with for the rest of my life. Then a friend introduced me to acupuncturist. Since receiving acupuncture the sweating has become what other people would consider normal. I am able to shake hands with confidence that I won’t get the other person all sweaty and I am able to wear sandals without worrying that my feet will slide everywhere and I won’t be able to walk properly. This really works!

Merlia on #6073

hai
        Ive had sweaty armpits, hands and feet since I was 12. Since then my life has been a struggle everyday trying to find something that can help me. Im not sure if its related to anxiety nervousness or simply just being hot and unable to tolerate it. I fear touching people or shaking hands. Its a big problem for me. I always gave to keep a fan on and keep a cup of ice water so that I can cool myself and control it a little bit. Ive used prescription antipresperants as well as meds but nothing works for me.I even sweat in cold weather too. Is it advisable for me to undergo Acupuncture ? please kindly help me.

Many thanks.

Jennifer on #7598

I had excessive sweating on my hands and feet and I would say that since receiving acupuncture the sweating has become what other people would consider normal. I am able to shake hands with confidence that I won’t get the other person all sweaty and I am able to wear sandals without worrying that I won’t be able to walk properly.

I would suggest to find acupuncturists that have a strong foundation in Chinese/Oriental medical approach to acupuncture. Finding the best practitioner for you will be a combination of location, education and experience, cost, and of course it’s also a personal fit. Also find a clinic where you feel comfortable and a practitioner that you connect with.

Dan T. on #7886

Acupuncture can help not just in the symptom of sweating, but also in addressing the root cause of the hyperhidrosis. It can be beneficial by helping to balance overstimulated nerves and prevent them from being overactive. That, in turn, helps to reduce sweating and aid the body to regulate temperature.

There are also alternative treatment known for fighting excessive sweating. For instance, using a blend of different herbs that are somewhat diluted that patients can mix with water to sip throughout the day. One naturopathic doctor said this promotes cleansing of deep lymphatic tissues and said several patients she's treated have seen improvements.

Sarah B on #8252

My husband suffers with hyperhidrosis and it is really getting worse. Any type of motion he starts to sweat. Walking through the mall is a nightmare. I do feel confident that a well-trained Chinese medicine acupuncturist will be able to help my husband and treat his condition. Acupuncture has a solid track record with treating this condition. Has anyone been successful in locating someone in Alvin Texas area that has some expertise in this area? How long and how often do you recommend treatment to get results and is there a certain qualification I should look for when choosing a acupuncturist?

Lucy on #8352

I had acupuncture last month but not for curing excessive sweating. I just realized it has lots of cure and benefits but you needed to do it for several times. I am experiencing lots of benefits including I no longer experience sweating on my armpit. I do believe it is because of the acupuncture I had to feel better because I am have a high blood pressure. Acupuncture brings balance to the body, including the sweat production. I no longer experiencing high blood pressure plus I no longer have sweating on my armpit. If you have the thing called hyperhidrosis, I believe you may need to undergo around ten sessions of acupuncture.

Sonny on #9969

Hello everyone,

Acupuncture really works for hyperhidrosis! But your experience with acupuncture will depend largely on the practitioner that you choose. If you have an experienced and great practitioner, your encounter with acupuncture will be more positive. Decide in advance what your expectations are and discuss them with your acupuncturist. If you are not happy with your progress, think about changing acupuncturists or check with your western doctor for advice about other options.

The clearer you are about who it is that is treating you and exactly what the treatment entails, the more you will be able to relax during the acupuncture session and benefit from this ancient form of health care.

Regards,
        Sonny

Marvin on #10270

I just tried acupuncture. It really helps not only on my excessive sweating but also in overall health. I would say I can sleep better now, I had insomnia before.

Silvie on #10693

Acupuncture can really help not just for the symptom of sweating, but also in addressing the root cause of the hyperhidrosis. I tried it myself and I am sweat free now. I had 10 sessions of acupuncture by the way.

Shiela on #10986

Excessive sweating is really annoying, embarrassing especially in summer. It is also an indication of an imbalance. I am experiencing hot flashes at night and it really bothers me. I am not in the menopausal period, I know. I am only 34. I wanted to control night sweats but I am not sure if acupuncture can help. I have read that acupuncture has shown to be effective for helping to reduce hot flashes and night sweats. They claimed that. But I haven't seen any positive reviews. Can anyone please help?

Dep Yang on #11816

While many people are in search of a non-invasive treatment approach to not just address sweating, but its core cause, it cannot be denied that emotional issues like stress can trigger sweating. Sometimes it can be an autoimmune condition.  Acupuncture can really help, not just the symptom of sweating, but addressing the root cause of the hyperhidrosis.

Acupuncture can be beneficial by helping to balance overstimulated nerves and prevent them from being overactive. That, in turn, helps to reduce sweating and aid the body to regulate temperature. Herbs also work in the same way as acupuncture to bring balance to the body.

toby on #24914

How can you tell good practitioners from not so good ones? I have been to four acupuncturists and i had a really good experience with one, but due to circumstances i can't see them anymore. The others were mixed, with one not very good.

Jennie V. on #25117

I was hesitant to try acupuncture back then because I am seriously scared of needles. But then I thought , why not give it a try since it's a non invasive treatment and seems a good alternative to other more painful and risky treatments.

I recently started doing acupuncture and my hands and feet are sweating significantly less. My Chinese Doctor also has me drinking Chinese herbal medicines that I am taking for three times a day, 30 minutes every after meal.

I think that in order for you to get the best out of it, you should also have to accompany healthy lifestyle changes.

Viewing 25 reply threads
Reply To: Acupuncture
Your information:

Cancel
Skip to toolbar