Age and Hyperhidrosis

Posted In: Hyperhidrosis Forum

• Participant
        jessie on #915

Does hyperhidrosis get better or worse as you grow older? Or does it stay the same? Is this individual or is there some general rule?

I would really appreciate some input from those who have lived with hyperhidrosis for many years now. I read that it often gets worse, which is not an encouraging thought. πŸ™
        Okay, some theories say that what causes excessive sweating to increase with time is social anxiety, so maybe we can learn how to suppress that. I hope that's the case… What are your experiences?

• Participant
        Steve on #920

My excessive armpit sweating stayed the same throughout the years – in fact, for about two decades now! The change in intensity had more to do with the shifts in my fitness level, or winter/summer seasons, etc.

I daresay that it gets easier as time goes by – by now I had a lot of time to figure out how to stop sweaty armpits, and tried out a lot of methods of dealing with the problem. And I mean A LOT of methods – from armpit sweat pads, to many antiperspirants, mental and physical exercises and so on. Now I actually feel better than before, so I would say that hyperhidrosis gets easier to bear with age. πŸ˜‰

Elena V. on #924

Nearly ten years of hyperhidrosis later, it's about the same as it was in the beginning. Maybe it was even a little worse at the very start… Then stabilized after I hit twenty. The perks of leaving adolescence, I guess. :mrgreen:

So, relax Jessie, I'm sure this is all very individual. If you lead a healthy life and nurture your confidence, I don't see why your hyper hidrosis should get worse with age. πŸ˜‰

p.s. I'm not a med. expert though… 😳

• Participant
        Plastic Pete on #967

Ahem, sorry to ruin the mood, but I must and say that my sweaty feet got worse over the years. However, I am also out of shape at the moment, so that is a possible reason. Also, it depends on the shoes and sneakers I wear.

My night sweating also got worse – but once again, I'm blaming that on all the extra weight I'm packing. πŸ˜•

unknown on #3013

hey, im 14 years old and i have had it sence the day i was born. i never learned to cope with it and i still haven't. my sweating is in hands feet and armpits. mine is a surer case that doesn't even allow me to pic up a pen.my hands have sweat that you can physically see dripping off. my armpits are very bad and recently we don't have to wear our blazers in school and i am the only person in my school to wear it still as i have sweat patches the size of footballs by the time i reach school (i live 15 minuets away when walking). my mum keeps lecturing me about wearing more deodorant but if i put any more on i will need a new deodorant every day( i use sure). it is so embarrassing because no one understands and even when i tell people about my hyperhydrosis they continually inform me that my hands are really sweaty πŸ˜₯ oh and i have also been using this roll on perscrition which is for hands feet and armpits, but yet it still doesn't work and it leaves me with side effects of stinging when ever i touch something. i recently put this on my armpits and i had to remove it within 30 seconds as it was physically burning my skin. is there anyone that can give me acturall help as this is really bad?

Imran Khan on #5293

Hello, I find that my Hyperhidrosis, which affects my hands, feet and armpits has been the same for the past 10 years so. Although I have days were my symptoms are extremely severe and I can literally see the sweat drip from my hands, which is embarrassing to say the least.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to ask your GP to prescribe you Aluminum Chloride. It's a roll on solution which needs to be applied last thing at night to the affected areas, but not to be used on the face. The solution is recommended for the palms of your hands, soles of your feet and underarm.

When it comes to personal hygiene, I prefer soap over body wash and shower in the evenings as opposed to in the morning as I find that taking a shower in the morning tiggers my sweating.

Regarding Deodorant, you should try Mitchum Roll on which is a stronger antiperspirant. When it comes to underarm, deodorants are used to mask odours and antiperspirants suppress perspiration / sweating. Be wary that products containing aluminium chloride tend to leave white marks on clothing, so would be a sensible idea to wear an undergarment if and when possible.

From a personal perspective, I would not take Robinul orally (tablet form). The reason being, oral medication is not targeted to a specific part of the body. It is used to “remove water” from the body, therefore you may suffer from dry mouth, dehydration, and most annoyingly dry eyes, which can lead to eye irritation when wearing contact lenses.

Some quick pointers:

If you're overweight, lose the weight. Trust me it helps. From personal experience, I find I sweat more when I am heavier.

Reduce your suger and salt intake and try and cut down on chilli / spicy food.

Drink plenty of water. When you are sweating, your body is losing water. It goes without saying, drink more water in the summer as you tend to sweat more.

Finally, check if you have any allergies or food intolerances. If you are consuming foods which you are intolerant to, your body is in a constant state of detox.

Hope this helps.

Imran Khan on #5294

Hello, I find that my Hyperhidrosis, which affects my hands, feet and armpits has been the same for the past 10 years so. Although I have days were my symptoms are extremely severe and I can literally see the sweat drip from my hands, which is embarrassing to say the least.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to ask your GP to prescribe you Aluminum Chloride. It's a roll on solution which needs to be applied last thing at night to the affected areas, but not to be used on the face. The solution is recommended for the palms of your hands, soles of your feet and underarm.

When it comes to personal hygiene, I prefer soap over body wash and shower in the evenings as opposed to in the morning as I find that taking a shower in the morning tiggers my sweating.

Regarding Deodorant, you should try Mitchum Roll on which is a stronger antiperspirant. When it comes to underarm, deodorants are used to mask odours and antiperspirants suppress perspiration / sweating. Be wary that products containing aluminium chloride tend to leave white marks on clothing, so would be a sensible idea to wear an undergarment if and when possible.

From a personal perspective, I would not take Robinul orally (tablet form). The reason being, oral medication is not targeted to a specific part of the body. It is used to “remove water” from the body, therefore you may suffer from dry mouth, and most annoying dry eyes, which can lead to eye irritation when wearing contact lenses.

Some quick pointers:

If you're overweight, lose the weight. Trust me it helps. From personal experience, I find I sweat more when I am heavier.

Reduce your suger and salt intake and try and cut down on chilli / spicy food.

Drink plenty of water. When you are sweating, your body is losing water. It goes without saying, drink more water in the summer as you tend to sweat more.

Finally, check if you have any allergies or food intolerances. If you are consuming foods which you are intolerant to, your body is in a constant state of detox.

Hope that helps.

jessica on #3108

My name is jessica , and i am more than happy to know that i am not the only one who encounters hyperhidrosis. I am 15 years old and basically all my life ive thought that i was the only person who have this problem. Ive been verbally bullied in school , i soaked everything i touched and it wasnt pretty at all . I went to the doctor he said it wasnt anything serious and he recommend that i use Dove Clincal Deodorant, and it does help to eliminate a bit of the sweating but not 100%, i still use it and i would also carry a small rag with me everywhere i go, there is actually a cure for hyperhidrosis but my parents dont think it's safe . No one understands my problem and how annoying it is, i usually sweat on my hands and feet, and i can literally fill atleast 8+ cups a day with my sweat. What do you guys do or use to help ease down the sweating?

AF on #5214

Well I'm 28 and living with the same condition since Day 1. The only thing you can do about it is to stop thinking about it as an embarrassment. Try to feel as comfortable & peaceful as possible. Stay calm and exercise regularly. That's what I am doing. It's no denying that this condition puts you in social isolation but one has to learn to overcome at least the mental (if not the physical) pressure to reduce the effects.

Pag on #3805

I take gylcopyrollate ( generic robinul) for my hyperhidrosis on my face and neck and it helps me. I take 2 pills 3 times a day. I've heard for some people terazosin works but it made me too tired. Talk to your doctor about which one is righ for you. Most doctors don't know too much about the disease but if you come prepared with medication names in hand already they are usually pretty willing to look into it and help you out.

Adiba I. on #8257

Hey! I have really bad hyperhydrosis and it puts me at an INCREDIBLE disadvantage that many of you are familiar with. My doctor prescribed me with gylcopyrollate and told me to take it once every 24 hours. I was super hyped for the medicine and finally thought that it would help me…turns out, it doesn't even work well. It stops about 1/4 of my sweating, so my palms aren't dripping (yes, they quite literally dripped with sweat) like they used to, but the amount I sweat now is still intolerable.It's also made my lips very dry and dark, but I'm not sure if the medicine is cause this. I saw a comment earlier stating that they were taking the same medication, but they were taking 6 pills a day. This kind of gives me hope in the sense that I won't have to move to the next step of treatment, which is surgery. Should I ask my doctor to increase my dosage?

TomTan on #3873

I also sweat quite a lot.

I find one European company who produces the medical device.
        They have special adapters for scalp, head and other parts of body.

It works fine for me. Maybe help someone.

anthony on #3906

Hi Everyone,, Ive had hyperhidrosis my whole life and it did get worse with age.. It used to be my palms and feet but it spread to the back of my fingers too,, i tried the electric thing,, i made one at home and i think it worked a bit but it was hard and irritating to do it every day.. I did botox which works for a lot of people for 6 months but mine cut it down by like 90 percent for abut a month and a half,, it can get costly doing it too… Its very frustrating as everyone here knows but hopefully there will be some solution soon. I also saw someone mention a “cure” and by that i hope you don't mean the surgery,, Ive read a lot of bad stories about the surgery and hope that before anyone does it there willing to live with the side effects and have done enough research. Take care guys.. I'm so glad this is online and i don't have to shake your hands to say bye ..lol

Ella Addington on #4031

Hi guys!

I have had hyperhidrosis since before I was 7. I am now 22. I think it's gotten worse. But that may also be because when you are little you are not as aware about the social struggles. My hands, feet, and armpits sweat. Sometimes in stressful situations or when it's summer my back, upper lip and in between my legs will sweat. It has definitely impacted my life socially, emotionally and sometimes physically. I hate shaking people's hands because they immediately wipe it off on their pant leg. It was definitely hard growing up from elementary school through college with hyperhidrosis because people are very judgemental. I have gotten made fun of and asked why I sweat so much. It grosses people out even some of my own family members. I notice I have to carry spare clothing, deodorant and perfume with me. I can't wear sandals because I will slide around in them especially if going down a hill. It does get better in the aspect of social interactions. I find joking your way out of things helps as well as surrounding yourself with good friends who don't judge. As for the love department, there are sweet guys out there that embrace all of you including the sweaty aspects of you. Thanks for reading! Best of luck and know that you are not alone and it does get better πŸ™‚

Jonathan Sibayan on #4222

Hi! I've been living with hyperhidrosis all my life and i am 19 years old now. Living with hyperhidrosis is very embarassing. Sweat all over my body. A 10- minute walk for me will cover half of my shirt wet and it is very embarassing especially if people around you look at you because you have a lot of sweat and do not understand your situation. At school, i change my shirt 3 times and also changing your clothes still have a judgement like wtf? I have hyperhidrosis. Even if i explain to you what it feels like you'll not care because you doesn't feel what i feel. Doctors advised me that it is alright to sweat. If you counter it you'll suffer due to that sweating is completely natural. But my sweating is too much and it is very irritating.

For someone who counters their hyperhidrosis in natural way, how do you do it? I want to know how you control your emotions, the way you think to all of them so that you can manage your anxiety. I don't want to rely on botox because it has a side effect. It is very irritating and embarassing, especially when you are in a community where perfection and imperfections do stand out. Can someone please help me? I'll appreciate every tips you'll give me. Thanks in advance!

Donna on #4326

Sweat is a natural and healthy part of life, helping to cool the body. But excessive sweating can pose problems in your social life and relationships, and perhaps even to your emotional health.

Excessive sweating, also called hyperhidrosis, means that you sweat far more than your body needs you to sweat. For example, if you sweat while sitting calmly at your desk, that is excessive sweating.

In hyperhidrosis, the body's cooling mechanism is so overactive that it produces four or five times the amount of sweat that you need. About 3% of the population has excessive sweating.

The typical age of onset of hyperhidrosis is in the teenage years; however it is not uncommon in children, especially in the hands and feet. And there is no common study that it is getting better, or worsen as a person ages.

Renee on #4370

Excessive sweating or hyperhidrosis can appear at a very young age. Even as young as 6 or 7 can have problems with excessive sweating which is often poorly understood by their parents, teachers and schoolmates. This can very stressful and create a lot of functional and social problems. The surgical solution should not be applied at a very young age.

Even though surgical treatment was offered to children as young as 10 years of age it was observed that there recurrence rate in the younger age groups is higher. A surgical approach should be reserved for only the severe cases once the child enters maturity.

Since Hyperhidrosis is known to be a genetic disorder the clinical manifestations can come at a very young age. But there is no scientific study on whether it is worsen overtime or not.

K on #5947

I sweated much more excessively in Middle school through my early twenties (armpits mainly, but not exclusively). It did get better after that. I still sweat but and am careful what I wear, just in case. I don't sweat as bad as those early years. It seems to have a lot to do with my anxiety level. My mother also had this problem in her youth, as well as both of my daughters.

Kristen on #5958

I had 2 really bad years of armpit sweating. Like wearing layers etc. I used a roll-on antiperspirant (certain dry I think it was called). It instantly stopped the excessive sweating in my pits. I still sweat a ton when I work out and now that I’m pregnant I am sweating all the time. But for me it got better after pueberty.

gabby on #6635

Hi,
        I have tried a whole range of deodorants that only worked for a while. I have been to my dermatologist and he suggested I go remove my glands under my arms and I will be sweat free, but I fear what the info has states in the above article. I really don’t know what to do, as many people tell you to do one thing and then you get the rest saying you should not. This is a topic that I am completely open to hearing about. Another problem is that I am thin (normal, lean, healthy for my age.) I don’t put on weight unless its muscle. I have a fast metabolism and was wondering if removing my sweat glands or ducts will have any effect on my weight, metabolism etc. thanks in advance.

Lori on #6668

Have you had your thyroid checked? An overactive thyroid causes weight gain or inability to gain weight and hyperhydrosis. A simple blood test can check it. If it elevated, then it can be treated with medication and your sweating should get a lot better.

Peter on #7334

Hi everybody, I am 38 yrs old and I percieve hyperhydrosis problem since my 6 yrs. I regret young people, who participate here, because I have lived all these situations in school and social life. I have to tell that during the time I am getting much more better, I tried maybe all possibilities and the best what works for me is iontoforesis, look for that in Google or Youtube. Young people, you are now in much more better position, because there are more information now about it, during my childhood absolutely no information were possible, you can live well with it. Change to healthy life style, food, forget hamburgers, make excercise. Forget your family and friends will understand it, they dont live it! During the time you can discover secret power inside πŸ˜‰

Kal on #7699

Hyperhidrosis is not something you outgrow, it does not go away or decrease with age. In fact some says their excessive sweating has gotten worse or stayed the same over time. Hyperhidrosis can also become worse or simply move to other body parts after few years. So stop waiting for hyperhidrosis to just go away. Get your treatment, consider involvement in clinical trials, and talk to a dermatologist about excessive sweating and how much you need a treatment that helps – now. Most treatments available today are symptomatic treatments. Meaning, they only aim to relieve the symptoms and not to cure. Miradry is a relatively new form of treatment that uses microwaves. This method is mostly tested on hyperhidrosis of the armpits and it is thought that it is a method that can give a permanent results. However, to be sure, further follow-ups are required.

Viewing 17 reply threads
Reply To: Age and Hyperhidrosis
Your information:

Cancel
Skip to toolbar