Low-voltage current VS. High-voltage current

Posted In: Iontophoresis Forum

• Participant
        Leb on #1493

Allegedly, low-voltage current used in Iontophoresis treatments over a longer periods of time is supposed to be more effective than high-voltage current used in shorter periods of time. I think this assumes shorter individual treatments as well as shorter overall therapy time (or in other words, less treatments.)
        Did you hear about that? Are those claims grounded or even proven in some way or is it just your regular hearsay?

I am now contemplating whether to change my iontophoresis regime or not. Then again, experimenting can result in a disaster – lowering the current success rate of iontophoresis. What to do, what to do… Lowering the current voltage is definitely tempting, but the risk of increased sweating is not… hmm. ❓

• Participant
        Toby on #1494

I think you should just stick with what you know. If iontophoresis currently works for you and you are satisfied and have no side-effects, why should you risk wrecking that balance? If you start sweating profusely again, it might take you weeks to get back at where you are now. Just my two cents! 🙂

• Participant
        Casper on #1687

It that theory is true, it means great news for me, as I always keep my Hidrex voltage settings low (at 13-14V). For me, that is good enough to keep my excessive sweating under control, but I respect that many others need a lot stronger current to find success.

I wonder if the same theory can be applied for pulsed vs. direct current showdown? E.g. if pulsed current has a better long-term effect on treating sweaty palms, etc. I use exclusively pulsed current on my Hidrex iontophoresis machine (PSP1000) and I would love hearing that this is actually a good thing!

Bottom line: no matter how you look at it, iontophoresis is a hyperhidrosis treatment that demands patience, persistence and time. 😉

• Participant
        Melanie on #1691

E.g. if pulsed current has a better long-term effect on treating sweaty palms, etc.

Sorry if this is off-topic – I wanted to reply to this question.
        Casper, from what I know, this really could be the case. The manufacturer of my iontophoresis device – Idromed – states the following as the advantage of pulsed current iontophoresis: ❗

“A more delicate treatment and because of this: The possibility to choose higher current levels, for better and faster success, and the chance having less iontophoresis sessions a week”

Of course, I have no idea what exactly do they mean by high or low current level. I strongly feel that everyone is different: some people have a more severe excessive sweating problem, some people can't tolerate high currents.. So I think that every hyperhidrosis treatment – iontophoresis included – primarily needs to be shaped to suit every individual patient! And it's the same way I've been using my Idromed since the day I got it.

P.S. Sorry for somewhat off-topical rambling. 😀

SATYAM KUMAR SHAH on #4605

What is the battery current(mA) and voltage used in iontophoresis device ? Can i use the 12 volts battery which is used for lighting 2-3 CFL lamps (i dont know how much ampere battery it is).

Viewing 4 reply threads
Reply To: Low-voltage current VS. High-voltage current
Your information:

Cancel
Skip to toolbar