Night Sweating & Antiperspirants – help!

• Participant
        Toby on #1297

I know it's a common rule to apply antiperspirants in the evening, after the shower, because that is when we are supposed to sweat less. That way, the antiperspirants have enough time to work their magic before we get sweaty. Okay, I get that, but what do I do when I sweat at night?

I have to deal with some excessive sweating during the day, and then I get the same problems when I lie down. On workdays I am really busy, making it virtually impossible to catch a decent time window in which I could apply antiperspirants and stay dry until my skin absorbs them. With this situation, I don't get the opportunity to use the power of antiperspirants to the max, and as a conseqence, they're not very effective.

It's a magic circle I can't break free from… Any ideas what to do? Every bit of help is welcome.

• Participant
        Mary-Jane Thompson on #1392

Umm, I don't like being the first one to answer and I bet this is going to be a stupid suggestion, but what kind of antiperspirants did you use? I would advise you to use antiperspirants in powder. Waiting for wet antiperspirants to dry off can be difficult if you are sweating so much…
        Oh and then don't apply it in the very evening. Catch some free time after work, after shower, before the meal and before you go to sleep. Something in between there. I hope you get what I mean?

Jc Paner on #3514

Yes, the night is the best time for application of antiperspirants because your sweat glands are less active and your skin is drier. The effect of the ingredients usually lasts around 24 hours and will remain active when you shower in the morning because the pores will still remain plugged.

Pepito on #3770

Surprisingly, applying antiperspirant at night is far more effective than applying it on when you first wake up in the morning. This is because at night, your body temperature is cooler, which means you sweat less. While you are sleeping, your sweat glands are therefore more receptive to the active ingredients in antiperspirant, helping it to penetrate more effectively. In the morning, not only is your sweat rate higher, but you've also likely just gotten out of the shower, which means your armpits won't be as dry. When skin is wet, the chemicals that actually stop sweat will be blocked from seeping into the pores, meaning the sweat-blocking reaction will in fact occur on the outer-layers of the skin instead.

arthel on #4601

Sweating at night is perfectly natural, particularly if you’re feeling warm. On occasion, however, night sweats can be a sign of something else. You may want to apply antiperspirant at night when your sweat glands are less active. This will allow it to work while you sleep and into the next day.

Many people experience night sweats at some point in their lives. The causes of night sweats in men can be different to those for women and if you find you’re often sweating at night, a few simple changes could help improve things:

Stay hydrated during the day.
        Wear lighter clothing in bed.
        Change your bedding to lighter fabrics or a thinner duvet.
        Keep your bedroom cool and well ventilated at night.
        Avoid potential triggers, such as spicy food, caffeine, smoking and alcohol.

Berns211 on #5511

Basically, there are many different causes of night sweats. To find the real cause, consult a doctor. A doctor must get a detailed medical history and order tests to decide if another medical condition is responsible for the night sweats.

One of the known conditions that can cause night sweats is Idiopathic hyperhidrosis. It is a condition in which the body chronically produces too much sweat without any identifiable medical cause.

Excessive sweating can also be an effect of low blood sugar. People who are taking insulin or oral diabetes medications may have hypoglycemia at night that is accompanied by excessive sweating.

Andrea Riley on #5917

Yessss!!!!!!Everyone experiences night sweats at some point in their lives. They can occur if you’re too warm while sleeping.
        Your sweat glands are less active at night, so applying antiperspirant to clean, dry skin before bed will allow it to work while you sleep and into the next day.
        You might want to consider a extra protection antiperspirant for protection, which is double the strength of regular antiperspirant. As sweating at night occurs all over the body, applying antiperspirant will only help with sweaty armpits.
        If you’re experiencing excessive sweating − to the point where you regularly soak your bed sheets or have sweat patches on your clothes – you might want to speak to your doctor or healthcare professional, who will be able to offer you more advice.

• Participant
        Casper on #1412

Hi Toby, did you try other methods of reducing your sweating? Maybe something like a special diet or some type of oral medicine?

When it comes to antiperspirants, In your case I think it would be easiest to use some kind of liquid antiperspirant solution that dries pretty quickly and gets soaked by the skin instantly. Drysol has one of these (e.g. this.)

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Night Sweating & Antiperspirants – help!
Your information:

Cancel
Skip to toolbar