Sweating too much?

Jovie Alvarez on #3624

Just a simple question. How do I know if I sweat too much?

Jeribel Young on #3660

Jovie,

Sweat is a natural and healthy part of life as it helps cooling the body. But excessive sweating can pose problems in your social life and relationships, and even to your emotional health.
        Excessive sweating means that you sweat far more than your body needs you to sweat. For example, if you sweat while sitting calmly at your desk, that is excessive sweating.
        In hyperhidrosis, the body's cooling mechanism is so overactive that it produces four or five times the amount of sweat that you need.
        Because people have different sweat needs, doctors cannot put a solid number on the question of how much sweat does it take to be diagnosed with excessive sweating. One telltale clue that sweating is not normal is sweating excessively from one area of your body only. But sometimes excessive sweating occurs all over the body.

Jeri

Wella on #3714

Jovie,
        The general rule is often: if you think you sweat too much you probably do.
        If you sweat more from a particular area of the body, this may indicate excessive sweating known as primary hyperhidrosis. It causes them to perspire more than is necessary to regulate body temperature. Hyperhidrosis can either be generalized, which means affecting the entire body, or can be localized to particular parts of the body.
        Generalized hyperhidrosis is often a symptom of an underlying health condition, including metabolic disorders, diabetes, infections or lymphatic tumors. Excessive sweating can also result from alcohol abuse or withdrawal, or be brought on by certain medications, particularly antidepressants.
        Localized hyperhidrosis, on the other hand, is not usually a symptom of other conditions and is believed to stem from minor malfunctions within the nervous system.

Hope this helps.

Wella P.

Bess on #3875

Although it may seem like some unusual disorder, it's actually perfectly normal to sweat. Sweating plays a significant role in the body because it helps maintain body temperature by cooling us down. When we're hot and we sweat, that moisture evaporates and cools us off a bit. We don't just sweat when we are hot. It's also usual for people to sweat when they're nervous because emotions can affect the sweat glands. If you’re worry about your sweating, talk to a physician. Occasionally sweating too much might be a sign of a medical problem. Stronger antiperspirants are now available with a doctor's prescription — your doctor may think a prescription-strength antiperspirant might help you.

Remy on #5668

If the sweating is heavy and seems out of control, then it is too much. It is usually accompanied by hot flashes and disrupts your normal activities.. The excessive sweating associated with hyperhidrosis is normally most active in the hands, feet, armpits, and the groin because of their relatively high concentration of sweat glands.

Lincey on #6031

hello jovie,
        Sweating is a normal response to heat and a process of being healthy; we sweat to cool our body and control our body’s temperature. But too much sweat can cause stained shirts and body odors, affecting social relationships and even self-esteem. Some people sweat excessively — sweaty armpits, sweaty necks, and sweaty, smelly feet and for no apparent reasonUsually, we produce sweat during a workout or in warm environments. But people suffering from excessive sweating often sweat more than normal, regardless of any physical need for it. Nutritional deficiencies, stress, anxiety and poor circulation can trigger excessive sweating. People with diabetes, heart problems, obesity and hyperthyroidism are more prone to it. Besides being uncomfortable, excessive sweating can disrupt your routine life. Instead of depending on medicinal treatments, you can try natural remedies to treat the problem. Natural remediesfor excessive sweating include apple cider vinegar, lemon, black tea, potato and many others mentioned below.Antiperspirant is typically the first line of defense against hyperhidrosis. But if you’re concerned about your health, you know that most antiperspirants contain toxins.
        i hpoe this will help you.

dennis on #6128

hai
        i am 21 now & i've been sweating for as long as i can remember. it's so depressing & i have absolutely no social life b/c of it. everyone says drysol works but frankly, its not worth it. the burning is terrible, i couldn't sleep & it makes your underarms all dry & your skin peels! using this actually made me more depressed b/c i often thought “why me” and “everyone else just uses regular deodorant.” i fed up with this & i'm just going to get my sweat glands removed. i thought about Botox but not appealing to have to keep going back or knowing that it “decreases” sweating not “eliminates.” i'm to the point where i want my sweating completely gone! it's ruined my life! i'd just like to liven the life i haven't been able to b/c of it.

ditchie on #6186

Recently found underarm sweating to be a problem (caused by anxiety due to public speaking – a big part of my job) and it's gradually become worse. The more self conscious I am about it, the worse it gets. At mid morning I'd realize I had started sweating, try and cover it up, it got worse. I tried every antiperspirant available, showering twice a day and even used to stuff tissue paper under my arms to absorb the worst but nothing helped. It got to the stage where I was carrying another top with me to change into half way through the day. Spoke to doctor about it as it was making me very self conscious and got anhydrous forte from a pharmacist – a very, very strong antiperspirant. And it worked within days! I don't wear any other antiperspirant or deo now and I don't need to. Totally dry and no smell at all – it's wonderful. I have had some problems with it…. it itches like mad when I put it on and leaves a red rash, but if it means I can go a whole day without caking myself in sprays and don't have to change my top at lunchtime I'm happy to put up with it.

macky on #6520

Recently found underarm sweating to be a problem (caused by anxiety due to public speaking – a big part of my job) and it's gradually become worse. The more self conscious I am about it, the worse it gets. At mid morning I'd realise I had started sweating, try and cover it up, it got worse. I tried every anti perspirant available, showering twice a day and even used to stuff tissue paper under my arms to absorb the worst but nothing helped. It got to the stage where I was carrying another top with me to change into half way through the day. Spoke to doctor about it as it was making me very self conscious and got anhydrol forte from a pharmacist – a very, very strong anti perspirant. And it worked within days! I don't wear any other anti perspirant or deo now and I don't need to. Totally dry and no smell at all – it's wonderful. I have had some problems with it…. it itches like mad when I put it on and leaves a red rash, but if it means I can go a whole day without caking myself in sprays and don't have to change my top at lunchtime I'm happy to put up with it. I know it's embarrassing to go to a doctor about but please (those who have commented recently), go and speak to a doctor or pharmacist. I've been there. I've gone through my teens totally lacking self confidence due to moderate sweating and through my 20s keeping my arms firmly by my sides due to excessive sweating. Hope you get it sorted!

Jessica Laflare on #6665

Have you tried using Certain-Dri for your hyperhidrosis? Its been on the market a while and it's either better CertainDri or Dysol for most folks. I found that Certain-Dri worked really good for me and I didn't get any chemical burns from it being too strong. When I made the decision to use it, it was based on consumer reviews and then a 2nd opinion from my primary care physician.

carol on #6830

hi,
        I sweat a lot only around my nose when it's hot in summer. Now that I am working, I've noticed that my face is constantly perspiring, which not only wrecks my makeup but its quite embarrassing as well. I thought I had found a great solution with the antiperspiration products on Amazon.The problem is my make-up does not stay because of sweating. I applied this product this morning and afternoon after swimming class. I felt 95% of sweating was decreased after I applied this product. My tip is that you'd better apply it and then wait until it is absorbed and fixed on your skin at least 1 min and then start applying moisturizer or cream and make-up! Do you have some recommendations . Thanks.

Liezel A on #8033

There are several ways to tell if you are sweating excessively. You might have excessive sweating if you mostly sweat from one or two areas of your body, like your underarms, palms, feet, or head. The rest of your body seems dry while a few areas drip with sweat. You sweat when you’re not exercising or moving.
        You sweat so much that it’s hard to do everyday activities, like turn a doorknob or use a keyboard. You may avoid things like raising your arm around other people, and feel embarrassed and anxious about your sweating. You are sweating excessively if your skin stays wet for a long time. You might notice it turns soft and white or peels. And also if you get skin infections (like athlete’s foot or jock itch) in areas where you sweat a lot.

Viewing 11 reply threads
Reply To: Sweating too much?
Your information:

Cancel
Skip to toolbar