What kind of water do you use for Iontophoresis?

Posted In: Iontophoresis Forum

• Participant
        Melanie on #1107

Do you use regular tap water or some special bottled water? Do you add baking soda into the water? From the start, I've been adding 2 teaspoons of baking soda to the water, as I'd known from before that my home's tap water is rather soft.
        Do you have similar suggestions? I heard that some people add antiperspirant solutions to the water, but this is not recommended, right?

Anyway, my Iontophoresis sessions have been successful so far and have helped me stop excessive sweating. Now I would like to experiment and maybe discover a way to lower the frequency of maintenance sessions.

• This topic was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Rohit.
      • Participant
        Casper on #1108

Regular tap water works well in my case (I'm using Hidrex PSP1000 Iontophoresis machine as a sweaty palms cure), but my water is probably not soft as the one at your place.
        It's a common occurrence that people who move to a new home sometimes experience a significant change in the effectiveness of the hyperhidrosis treatment. Better be careful when moving! 😮

• Participant
        Brittany Davidson on #1136

Hello!
        Sometimes the problem is not in the quality of water, but in quantity! People tend to forget that. In iontophoresis, less is more – use too much water and this will negatively affect the intensity of the treatment.
        For me tap water is fine, but I use only the necessary minimum amount, just enough to completely cover the soles of my feet.

• Participant
        Wallace Trent on #1161

Tap water – in the end it works well and it's the cheapest option, too. Considering that I've been doing iontophoresis for many years now, I'm glad I don't have to buy a special brand of bottled water or some medicine. It would cost me a fortune by now.

I heard that some people add antiperspirant solutions to the water

Yeah, some people do this. I know some add Rubinol into water, too… Personally I was never keen on experimenting. There are days when I'm sweating profusely to the point where iontophoresis doesn't keep me completely dry, but then I apply antiperspirants directly to my sweaty palms and it's tolerable.

Vikram on #2107

I'm from new delhi,india and fortunately the place where i live the water is just perfect for iontophoresis.
        When i moved out for college i thought that the treatment would work the same as it was working before.

But i noticed that iontophoresis stopped working. I tried adding baking soda, epsom salt , changing the plates, heating the water, cooling the water, fingers half in, half out, less water, more water etc. but nothing worked.
        I tried using mineral waters like bisleri and aquafina but they did not help either.

The water was just not right for the treatment and i had to accept it, though i kept doing the treatment hoping it would work.

Later from uni i moved to another place for internship. There again the treatment did not work with the tap water.
        We used to drink a local brand of mineral water there. One day it struck me to try and use that. I tried that and aha it worked instantly!

Usually the water that doesnt work causes ur fingers to hurt. When youve been doing the treatment long enough you know it just doesnt feel right.

Few additional points id like to make.

I have also noticed over the years that varying the voltage helps. In the beginning i used 9 to just get my hands used to it then i moved up to 18. I used that successfully for a long time.

But recently when i moved back to delhi, my fingers seemed to hurt with 18th volts and the treatment was not working. I thought the water quality had changed and i would be doomed!
        But i decided to get a variable voltage laptop adapter and tried with lower voltage.
        The fingers stopped hurting and guess what? the treatment started working again.
        So i moved down to 15 volts and the treatment was successful.

Still there are times especially when the season changes, that ionotophoresis stops working and my hands sweat profusely.

Now i think if i had tried with lower voltage when i moved out to university, maybe it wouldve worked?
        Anyways guys, iontophoresis is by far the easiest and best treatment i have come accross. Keep at it, because it works!

• Participant
        Wallace Trent on #2111

Hi Vikram, yes I agree, iontophoresis is the best hyperhidrosis treatment in the long run! Your account of your treatment history is very interesting. I have always thought that bad type of tap water can be “fixed” by adding supplements to it, but seeing how that didn't help in your case, I guess I was wrong.

I never had issues with pain, but it's interesting that your iontophoresis for hyperhidrosis was inefficient when your fingers hurt… But I agree on the seasons change – I also have varying success with iontophoresis throughout the seasons, and changing voltage doesn't seem to help me – sometimes I am forced to cope with sweaty hands no matter what I do.

Did you use different iontophoresis devices, or did a single device serve you for all these years?

Kush Gupta on #5218

Hey Hi,

Read your comment above, thanks for sharing it with us.
          As even i'm suffering with the palmar hyperhidrosis i just wanted to know whether from where did u buy the iontophorisis machine.
          Did u make that at home or you bought it from market.
          Please help.

Graham Morris on #2633

I know that during a treatment session you are not supposed to change the type of water you are using half way through. I do not know the reason for this. But i found this information from idrostar by directly emailing them. It might not be the type of water that is being used that is the problem you may just need to restart the treatment. Although this may be extremely frustrating if it works it is worthwhile. Badoit is excellent from my experience now I know it works I am happy to pay for it.

Shadow of Earth on #2904

have you tried Alkaline Magnesium Water?

Recipe: Alkaline Magnesium water
        1 liter filtered tap water (reverse osmosis)
        1/8 tsp. sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
        1/8 tsp. potassium bicarbonate
        1/8 tsp. magnesium sulfate (epsom salts)

Shadow of Earth on #2905

Have you tried Alkaline Magnesium Water ?

Recipe: Alkaline Magnesium water
        1 liter filtered tap water (reverse osmosis)
        1/8 tsp. sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
        1/8 tsp. potassium bicarbonate
        1/8 tsp. magnesium sulfate (epsom salts)

Renalin on #3458

Distilled

Chuck on #3472

All the water does is conduct the current, so there’s no point in putting in too much water as this can be counter-productive. Put in just enough water to wet the skin on the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet, ensuring that the area of Hyperhidrosis is covered.

Kristen on #4532

Hi everyone!
        I've been using Iontophoresis since 2010, so it's my 7th year now. It has always for all these years worked perfectly!
        Recently I have moved in a different country (for university) and found that it doesn't work at all! It is now that I realized why many people find it uneffective. It is because of the water! The tap water here is just too clean!! Unlike my old place. (If someone else heard me complaining about the water being too clean will probably think I'm crazy. But you guys get me!)
        I have tried 2 types of bottled mineral water and it doesn't work. I have NOT tried adding salt or baking soda since everyone is saying it doesn't work, but I should try it either way, who knows, it might work for me. But I feel horrible and hopeless! I feel so confident and strong and simply I'm a different person when this works, like I have everything control, and now I just feel miserable. I hope a solution will be found soon.

Jack on #6824

I had undergone a treatment at a clinic and they used Glycopyrrolate in the tap water, after 10 days my sweat was completely gone even body sweating in addition to hands and legs.

Matias on #7405

Tap lukewarm water or still mineral water. Sometimes I add baking soda for better effects.

Wilfred0 on #7547

Iontophoresis is a lifesaver to me! My biggest tip is to be diligent with your daily treatments until you find a schedule that works for you. Iontophoresis works for everyone, it's just a matter of your own body, the water (hard water works best), and the current you're using so don't feel discouraged. Results differ by person. Some people get results in a week. I recently just started using a homemade ionto machine and after 10 treatment for the first time in my life I went a full day without sweat coming out of my hands. Stay positive! I hope it will help you too !!! The best thing I could ever spent my money on.

Sam Mandy on #8270

I am using only tap water. As far as I know, iontophoresis treatment only requires a home-use medical device, and some tap water. Tap water iontophoresis is a drug-free way to treat hyperhidrosis. The minerals and electrolytes found in tap water help the current efficiently travel through the water and onto the skin, delivering proper and even treatment. The passage of this mild electrical current to the affected skin temporarily stops sweat production. Setup is simple and requires the user to set up the device, plug it in, and add tap water, which only takes about a minute to do.

Jayson Sethi on #9937

Hi

So I have been using iontophoresis for over an year now and now I am facing issues again. Earlier it worked perfectly and I didn’t have any issue but now the sweat from fingers are coming again although palm area is still manageable. Also, my feet do not sweat as well the only issue I am facing is sweat through my fingers so overall 60-70 % is effective for my hands now. I don’t know what exactly the issue is as earlier it was working perfectly. The company from where I purchased the product said to start the process again with gloves on but it’s not effecting. Can somebody help me coz I think water is not the issue as my feet is not at all sweating and the water level for my hands is also perfect. Can somebody let me know what should I do in such case?

Joy Norio on #23692

Iontophoresis devices like The Fischer use an electric current to deliver the minerals naturally found in tap water into your sweat pores, plugging them up to create a long-lasting dryness barrier. However, tap water in certain areas may lack the mineral concentration for the treatment to have an effect. These are referred to as “soft” water geographic locations. Under the direction of a physician or dermatologist, some patients have added prescription medications or baking soda to the bath trays to see better results.

Raiza, on #27673

I'm just using tap water. It works well enough for me.

Viewing 18 reply threads
Reply To: What kind of water do you use for Iontophoresis?
Your information:

Cancel
Skip to toolbar