What's Your Hyperhidrosis Story?

Posted In: Hyperhidrosis Forum

• Participant
        Lucas on #1177

Hi everyone!

Being new in this community, I would really like to get to know people, and this seemed like a good way to connect and maybe even find some friends. πŸ™‚ I would love to hear your stories, so I guess it's only fair that I share my own first…

I'm in my mid-thirties and so far I have tried out various treatments to deal with excessive sweating. My troubles started when I was 10 years old, which means I've been living with sweaty hands and feet for more than two decades now. And when I was about 13, sweaty armpits also joined this list of troublesome body areas…

As to what causes excessive sweating in my case – all the tests seems to show that I simply have a huge number of overactive sweat glands. The situation is pretty much hopeless. I have to admit I have become extremely tired and weary recently – battling this condition is a constant struggle and takes a lot of my energy sometimes. I get lonely sometimes and I feel “normal” people don't understand me, yet I don't want to fall into depression. There's always hope that tomorrow someone will find the cure for profuse sweating and our troubles will be gone… πŸ™‚

I really hope to find some friends here and would love to hear your stories and experiences. How do you cope with profuse sweating?

Nice to meet ya and cya around! 😎

• Participant
        jessie on #1193

Hi there! Have a fun stay here!

I have plantar and palmar hyperhidrosis combo since I was 18, and so far I haven't yet experimented with too many treatments. Mostly just antiperspirants to stop excessive sweating. I tend to get nervous around people in real life, so I love chatting online. Feel free to send me a private message so we can also chat there! πŸ˜› πŸ™‚

• Participant
        Lucas on #1231

Thank you! I added you to my friends list and I'm looking forward to your messages. πŸ˜‰
        Ah and you're still young, don't let heavy sweating affect your life too much. Everyone has flaws and problems, even people who are not sweating profusely… Nobody is perfect so there's no need to be nervous about your excess sweating. Remember that. πŸ™‚

• Participant
        Maggie Yip on #1238

Hi, I am new here, just found this network. I am actually glad that I am not the only one who suffer this. I have palmar, plantar and axillary hyperhidrosis since i was young and it does affect me a lot in my daily life. I feel embarrass to shake hand with people and I sweat when outside is snowing. I hate it when I got sweat stained on my shirt and I only wear black so not many can really see the stains. I find it really annoying and I have tried to apply anti-perspirant but amazingly no matter how much I have applied it will be washed away by my sweat.

Have you guys ever think of getting the sweat glands removed by surgery? I might go for a surgery soon =)

• Participant
        Becky Thompson on #1240

hi there lucas i have had primary hyperhidrosis since i was 14 years old i am now in my early thirties so ive suffered a long time and i agree with you everyday is a struggle i no how you feel i am ashamed about my condition and always feel that no one would like me if they find out about my condition so i have to hide it all the time which is very frustrating for me ive always felt alone with this problem and i never thought i would be able to meet others who are going through the same situation as me and i am so glad that i have finally found others you can add me as a friend if you like would be great talking to you.

• Participant
        Erin Joy Zaremba on #1241

Hello!
        My name is Erin and I am 29 years old. I have had primary hyperhidrosis since I was 13. My face is the worst place right now. and it is so embarrassing! I have it all over my body but the most affected places after my face are my hands, armpits and feet. I am a mobile nurse and go into tons of different houses. I carry a battery powered fan which seems to help with my face a little. I have tried Drysol but that didn't work. Has Anyone tried Botox? Or had the surgery? I hate when people look at me funny. Thanks for listening!!!
        ~Erin~

• Participant
        Ramona on #1292

As you can see from my earlier posts, I'm something of a nervous freak and often get sweaty when feeling anxious. This sweat is too excessive to be normal, so I pretty much have some kind of hyperhidrosis.
        Typically I have excess sweat on my underarms and face, but other areas (like hands) can be affected also.
        This all started a few years back, and I feel as if I am still learning how to live this way. It is difficult.

Well, I also wanted to say hi to everyone (Lucas, jessie, Maggie, Becky and Erin). Hope to see you all around and exchange some advices on how to stop sweating this much. πŸ™‚

KillerKiwi on #3673

I've had HH since I was about 7 (very mild) and I am now 11.
        This is really annoying as I have been to the doctors soo many times to try strong anti-perspirants and have done so many blood tests that I have lost count. I am currently using an iontophoresis machine and it seems to be going ok but I have this feeling in me that it will never be cured. I have friends in primary, but what about my future? I'm guessing in secondary school people there aren't that understanding. Careers, Shaking Hands, excersizing. You name it, all somewhat difficult to do. I realise that I am not the only one and I was blessed with my looks, talents and abilities, but I guess we can't have it all. Nobody is perfect. People out there, children like me are dying from things such as cancer etc. But we can only hope that science and children like me can make life saving cures in the future. Probably not in time for some people, but eventually suffering will end. Best wishes for all xx.

Ever Lacdan on #3698

For the last 12 years of my life I have suffered with excessive sweating on my head and face, which seems to be getting worse. This is really uncomfortable and embarrassing. During summer I cannot go outside. I'm Australian and as most people know we have just about the hottest summers of any country on the planet. I certainly couldn't go out shopping or to a social event, the sweat drips off me and my hair is drenched within minutes. I cannot use make-up, or even have a decent hairstyle, which zaps the confidence. I am a little overweight but not much. Any helpful tips would be great.

hopeful on #4012

This sounds crazy, but my hyperhidrosis disappears when I consume homemade broth/soup on a regular basis. I'm 43 & have dealt with hyperhidrosis (palms, feet & underarms) since I was in my early teens. When I did homework as a teenager, I would use a towel to prevent my paper from tearing due to the sweat. I had ETS surgery when I was in my twenties after trying acupuncture, biofeedback, herbs, topical remedies, etc. ETS helped to some degree, but over time, most of my symptoms reappeared. Then about 4 years ago, I read about the health benefits of drinking homemade broth. I started drinking chicken broth at least once a day for a couple of weeks & my hyperhidrosis literally disappeared. If I go for a few weeks without drinking broth, the hyperhidrosis returns and it takes me about a week of regular broth consumption to clear the symptoms.

Google how to make broth & be sure to put a splash of Apple cider vinegar in it to help leach the nutrients from the bones. The store bought broth isn't the same as homemade. Besides not tasting as good, the store brands filter out the gelatin, which is important to the health benefits of the broth.

I'm not a scientist or physician, but my hunch is all of this sweating relates to a nutrient deficiency that jump starts the nervous system somehow.

• Participant
        JR31 on #4028

Hi.

My story starts with excessive hand and foot sweating from the age of about eight. I went through quite a bit of embarrassment at primary school, but it seemed ten times worse at secondary school. So, in 1998 I was prescribed Driclor (same as Drysol in US I believe) by a GP, followed by a solution (I think also aluminium-based) to bathe my hands and feet in. Neither of these had any effect.
        None of the GP’s I saw told me about iontophoresis, but I was referred to the Dermatology Department of a local hospital. Here I was told that there was nothing that they could do. She did not tell me about the many non-surgical treatments available for hyperhidrosis (such as oral medications, topical medications, botox injections, and iontophoresis). She referred me to a surgeon at a local hospital.
        The surgeon I recall told me about the possible side-effect of compensatory sweating (across the shoulder blades on the back) and drooping of the eyelids, but I have also suffered many other side-effects.

My GP assured me in 2003 that it was just taking time for my β€œ…body to settle” and that things would β€œ…get better with time.” But, thirteen years on and my situation has only got worse. The compensatory sweating has spread (for example in 2003 I did not sweat profusely through my stomach or chest), and I have spent thousands of pounds over the last fourteen years on a vast range of products and treatments (for example acupuncture, herbal medicine, homeopathy, vitamins, supplements, medications etc), none of which has helped.

Therefore, my story unfortunately is very much about the damage that surgery can do for hyperhidrosis. Consequently I always advise people to tread very, very carefully when it comes to hyperhidrosis surgery.

Ali on #4057

Hi,

My story began when I was about 10 years old with sweaty palms. The sweating has become pretty generalized since then and I now find my self sweating excessively from my hands and feet but also underarm, groin and upper lip depending on how nervous I am feeling. I have tried several different products (Drysol, Glycopyrrolate, Ionto) and have had some success with each one.

Where hyperhidrosis has affected my life the most has been in my career choice. I have always wanted to be a vet and I am now entering my last year of vet school. I almost didn't follow this dream because of my sweaty hands. I was worried that they would prevent me from being able to do all the little tasks that a veterinarian is required to do.

Recently, I bought a Hidrex PSP 1000 and have been using it for about 2 months. The results have been incredible. I use it for about 30 minutes each night at around 26mV and my hands have now become 100% dry which has enabled me to do my job to the best of my ability! I do also use it in combination with drysol and glyco but I know that the majority of the dryness can be attributed to the ionto. I also put 1mg of glyco in each tray every time I use it. I hope others read this and give it a try before deciding to do surgery!

Ali

Diane on #4446

Ok, so where do I begin. I have suffered from primary hyperhidrosis for as long as I can remember. I sweat in my palms, soles, armpit, upper lip and nose. I am now 23 and I have tried so many things, for example, all the herbal stuff but I really have gotten accustomed to the palm, sole, nose and upper lip sweating.

I don't wear too much makeup and I wear sandals in place of sneakers. For my palms, I make sure that I always have a rag with me. ALWAYS. I am very open with my sweating in that I let people know so that they don't wonder what is wrong with me. It has gotten to a point where my close friends know and understand. I am also very happy that I have never had an issue with boyfriend's understanding. My first boyfriend did not mind it at all and now my current boyfriend accepts it more than me. He touches my hand and feet even when they are soaking.

So that is all the positive stuff, now I can delve into the dark side: My armpits. I could never accept or get accustom to those. It prevents me from wearing certain colors; white and black are the safest. It is very embarrassing when you are among others who are completely dry and you are leaking like a garden hose. The sweat sometimes run down my arms and unto my side. I have tried countless antiperspirant that was advertised to help with sweating even the clinical ones but they do not help. Of course if you put on antiperspirant and you sweat excessively the sweat just takes it off and it feels like I did not even put it on. It's the sweaty scent that I can't take. I literally bathe at least three times a day and I wash my clothes twice before I rinse. I can go on and on with this armpit mess but I think you all will get the idea.
        -Diane

Viewing 12 reply threads
Reply To: What's Your Hyperhidrosis Story?
Your information:

Cancel
Skip to toolbar