When did you first notice hyperhidrosis?

Posted In: Hyperhidrosis Forum

• Keymaster
        Rohit on #468

Tell us when you first noticed that you may have excessive sweat – I am sure all of us will have very different stories here

• Participant
        Tim Fleiss on #816

It started getting bad when I was about fifteen. It made my high school gym class hell, I got teased regularly, and even if it wasn't full blown bullying, the insults ranged from mildly annoying to hurtful.
        Since I have axillary hyperhidrosis, no one (me included) thought it's a medical condition – it just seemed like I'm a teenager with bad hygiene. Sheesh, I'm glad those days are gone.

• Participant
        Steve on #818

Oh I think most of us will say it happened in high school… C'mon, that's typically when hormones and glands go wild. My worst memory regarding that was being scolded my my parents – well, mother really – because I kept tossing my clothes into the laundry basket. She complained that I go through my clothes too fast, then made me start doing my own laundry… Then when she saw I'm not fooling around, a serious conversation pretty much cleared everything out. Back then, excessive sweating still wasn't considered to be a proper medical condition, at least where I'm from… But it was clear there's nothing I can do to stop sweating. That at least brought peace to our house!

• Participant
        Wallace Trent on #819

Interesting how those of you with excessive underarm sweating didn't realize at first that you have hyperhidrosis. And yes, actually that makes sense since armpit sweat is a common thing.

I have palmar hyperhidrosis (and my underarm sweating is above average, I'd say), and I noticed something's wrong when I was about 13 or 14. My brother also had sweaty palms, but my friends didn't, so I figured that we sweaty ones are the minority… It took me years to get it properly diagnosed, though.

• Participant
        jessie on #823

Mine started unusually late, I think. I was 18 at the time.
        In classes, I would get sweaty palms during exams – or even just while taking notes. Blamed it on anxiety at first, but it didn't go away. Soon after that my problems came to include sweaty feet as well. A few times I'd noticed how my shoes are soaked through – but it turned out it wasn't the rain, you know. 😡

• Participant
        Zoey Q on #875

I guess there are two answers to this question. I first noticed that I sweat a lot when I was 14. I started to use antiperspirants and that solved the problem – so obviously my underarm sweat isn't caused by hyperhidrosis. At the same time, I noticed that I have an issue with sweaty palms and feet. I thought it is normal and that it would go away if only I had antiperspirants for hands… I made peace with it – after all my palms are not dripping so it is bearable.

Recently I heard about hyperhidrosis from a friend who has it – but her sweaty hands are actually dripping. I am still not sure if I have hyperhidrosis, but I think that might be the case.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: When did you first notice hyperhidrosis?
Your information:

Cancel
Skip to toolbar