Good hyperhidrosis surgery stories?

• Participant
        Marsden M. on #2029

Are there any good hyperhidrosis surgery stories out there? I can't seem to find any, and from what I have read on this website, neither can anyone else.

I planned on having this surgery two years ago, but then I found an iontophoresis device that works (Idromed!), and I also switched jobs, and with my current work hours, I can steadily use iontophoresis for hyperhidrosis, which makes the surgery unnecessary. Thank God for that!

But I still think it's curious to see that good hyperhidrosis surgery stories are few and far between. Either people who suffer from sweaty hands look for other hyperhidrosis treatment variants to cure themselves, or this hyperhidrosis treatment really doesn't deliver desired results. :/

Anyway, if you find any good stories, please post links.

Winny on #3500

Since I was at the age of 12, I sweat in my palms and pits. I had sweat marks all the way to my waist! At 16 I got ETS surgery. It significantly stopped the sweating in my palms. But a year later, the sweating returned. Botox and iotophoresis help, but just on certain areas.

Paul Wardlow on #3549

I was not so sure whether I wanted to share my story, not even with my fellow hyperhidrosis sufferers. Even though I deal with excessive sweating on a daily basis, there are times when I feel words don't provide an adequate description for how the problem makes me feel.

I have experience excessive sweating of my palms, uncontrollable underarm sweating, sweaty feet, sweating on lower back, and profuse facial sweating. Like many others in the same situation, it’s the sweaty hands and sweaty armpits that bother me the most. Ever since junior high, hyperhidrosis has greatly impacted my social interactions. It can be extremely humiliating to see people’s reactions or listen to their comments after they shake my hand.

I received BOTOX injections for axillary hyperhidrosis as well as iontophoresis treatment for my palmar hyperhidrosis. Today, my underarms are completely dry thanks to BOTOX injections and iontophoresis.

I wish everyone the best of luck in their efforts to deal with their individual situations.”

Alani Mentorino on #3691

I had suffered from Hyperhidrosis for as long as I could remember. I even came to a point where I just accepted the fact that I have this condition. It was just awful, always having to wear an under shirt, no matter what, and even under a t-shirt when summer came along. I felt uncomfortable most of the time. I want to do the hyperhidrosis treatment because it has kept me from doing more that I want. As I type right now I can feel my hands sweating I want to live a palm sweat free life. I know its heredity because my uncle and grandpa have it, my feet also sweat and I can't wear sandals. Then I met Dr. Karamanoukian. He explained every treatment possible for my condition. My treatment has been life changing. My palms no longer sweat and I am able to do stuff that I had not been able to do.

Jason on #3740

This story is not so good as I have not tried any surgery at all. I just wanted to share this to release all the thoughts in my head. I've suffered from excessive sweating since I joined the Army at 17. Before, I sweated like everyone else, but during basic training, my sweating dripped down my underarms, through my T-shirt and all the way to my Army jacket.
        Once I left the Army, I continued to live a life centered around sweat. I wore dark, long-sleeved shirts in the summer so my sweat could go undetected and nobody would see streams of perspiration dripping from my armpits to my wrists. Then there was the scent I believed everyone could detect. I was paranoid, I took two showers daily and carried deodorant, perfume, powder, and an extra shirt everywhere I go. When I was 26, I consulted my doctor about my excessive perspiration. After asking questions about my diet, water-intake, and stress levels, she finally diagnosed me with hyperhidrosis. She recommended dietary changes and prescribed deodorants and cottonmouth-producing pills. When none of those worked, she sent me to a dermatologist, who prescribed Botox shots. Every six months, my dermatologist fills four syringes with the toxin and injects me no less than 60 times — 30 in each armpit. I choose not to have any surgery, and instead, remain soldier through the injections. Unfortunately, health insurance companies are not very understanding about hyperhidrosis patient's need for them.

Mr. Troubled on #4309

I't has been about 6 months now since my ETS surgery. No regrets for having it! ETS is a physical cure and it works most of the time. Mental cures such as CBT and others rarely work. The mental machinations we all inflict upon ourselves when the triggers kick in simply compound what is there which puts the blushing over the top. Also, my family history has a long running issue with facial blushing with at least 3 generations of which I know.

Since having ETS which eliminated the physical response, the mental machinations don't have a chance to kick in. In fact I've tried to get myself into that mental state as an experiment and the mental part just won't go there. Evidently, the mind requires the physical response first. So, facial blushing is, firstly and mostly, physical. Without the physical start, the mental doesn't go there.

Bill on #4550

I've suffered from hyperhidrosis since I joined the Army at 17. Before, I sweated like everyone else, but during basic training, I quickly learned a layer of Secret deodorant would not keep my secret. Nor would it stop the profuse sweating that dripped down my underarms, through my T-shirt, all the way to my Army jacket. So I spent most of my time hoping no one would notice the soiled wetness clinging to my uniform.

ETS Surgery (Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy) has changed my life in a lot of different ways. ETS Surgery is not cheap. Any operation where you're put under is going to cost you. I don't remember the total but my parents spent a solid year petitioning insurance to pay for it. After the surgery my hands to this day do not sweat.

Edward on #5026

In 2013, after suffering decades of hell from sweaty palms, armpits, and feet, I finally made that final leap towards freedom from sweaty palms, armpits and feet! It took me about 2 years to search for the best doctor and I'm glad I did. I have no regrets whatsoever! My confidence is sky-high and opportunities have opened up for me in so many levels. The feeling of never again being self-conscious about meeting people and shaking their hands is INCREDIBLE. It has given me a new lease on life. I've read enough horror stories about people having major long-term side effects after their surgery, and which doctors weren't able to resolve that for awhile I became a bit discouraged from pursuing it. Furthermore, the thought of undergoing a separate surgery through the lumbar to cure feet sweating is just too much for anyone to go through it seems.

Then I came across Stanford Hospitals and Clinics. They were able to cure my palms, underarms, and feet sweating from 1 ETS surgery! NO ELS and No lumbar nerve was even touched. They're the only medical group that was able to determine which “T” nerve to separate for feet sweating. I'm a living proof that Stanford surgeons have cured my sweaty palms, armpits, and feet in one single operation without going into the lumbar region or touching any of the lumbar “L” nerves. It was all done at the thoracic level which sets them apart from every other surgeon who operates through the lumbar region to cure the sweaty feet. It was an outpatient procedure and I was able to go home within a couple hours after surgery. Compensatory sweating around my abdomen and legs during sleeping hours only lasted 3-4 months after the surgery. Other than that, I've had no problems whatsoever and now I sweat like any normal person who exercises or eats spicy foods. I'm extremely happy I no longer experience sweat in my palms, armpits and feet. They specialize in minimally invasive procedures so the scars are barely noticeable (2 scars the size of a baby pea underneath each armpit). They use a technique called VATS Sympathectomy (Needlescopic surgery) not used by any other hospitals or surgeons. It's a no-brainer! Stanford Hospitals and Clinics was the one for me. These guys are the only medical group that can cure palms, armpits, and feet sweating in one surgery. To them it's a piece-of-cake, to others it's impossible. No other surgeon outside Stanford can do it. Also, their cost structure is different in that they do not charge per palm, foot, or axillary like most surgeons who are only interested in reaching deep into your pockets. Instead, they charge per side of body they cure of sweating. I hope this helps someone interested in a no-nonsense, sure-thing cure (in my opinion). THE FREEDOM FROM SWEATY PALMS, ARMPITS AND FEET IS UNBELIEVABLE! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Catia Ramos on #7573

Hi there

I would just like to ask what was the procedure the doctors performed on you for your sweaty feet, arms and hands?
          What are the doctors names? and are you happy with your results even today? Have there been any really bad side effects?
          Thank you for sharing!

Ed on #5016

I'm a 50 year old male from the Silicon Valley, California and I've never been more happier and confident after I had my ETS surgery back in 2013 at Stanford Hospital. The Stanford surgeons were able to cure both my palm and feet sweating problem from one single surgery without touching the lumbar. They call their ETS procedure VAT Sympathectomy (Needlescopic Surgery) because the 2 incisions under each arm are the size of a baby peas. My condition was more severe than most people with palmar and plantar hyperhidrosis. My palms literally dripped when I faced them to the ground and my feet and armpits sweat just as much. I was a prisoner for decades and now I have been set free to do anything I want, shake hands and be close to people without the worries of repulsing them with my extremely sweat-drenched palms and soaking smelly feet. I've been able to finally study and play piano once again after quitting at 12 years old because the sweaty palms just made the experience a living hell for me AND the piano instructor (oh I remember the look of disgust each time she comes in contact with the piano keys after me). I can go on and on about the many things I could have done or things in my life I could have done better without this horrible and disgusting condition.

After doing extensive research about ETS and having read numerous reviews, complaints, and recommendations from people from all sorts of forums, support groups, YouTube, etc, I consulted with several thoracic surgeons throughout California and finally decided to have the procedure done at Stanford Hospital. They have world class and extremely knowledgeable thoracic surgeons who are able to pinpoint exactly which thoracic or “T” nerve controlled which part of the body. The first question they asked was “which 2 problems bother you the most?”. Obviously, palmar and plantar were the real problem. So, I chose to have the palmar and plantar nerves severed and my surgeon was able to do both pairs in one single operation. Everyone else required a separate operation for the other pair (feet or palm). Mind you the plantar fix is done through the lumbar region by the other surgeons and even they couldn't guarantee the effectiveness of ELS procedure! WTF?!…Stanford surgeons were able to do both the palmar and plantar fixes by one single ETS surgery from the same on both sides!! INGENIOUS! My armpits don't even sweat anymore, (which really never bothered me although they also used to sweat profusely, but since the nerve controlling palm sweat also controlled the underarms, it was an added bonus!).

After the procedure, I did experience compensatory sweating around my abdominal area and legs which usually occurred when I'm asleep. But it went away after 3-4 months. Now, I sweat normally when I exercise and experience flushing when eating spicy foods but that doesn't bother me one bit. Those things happen to normal people and I'm just EXTREMELY HAPPY that my sweaty hands and feet are no longer a problem, burden and embarrassment in my life! It definitely opens up new opportunities for me. THE FEELING OF LIVING WITH CONFIDENCE IS COMPLETELY AMAZING AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!

The procedure is called the BILATERAL VIDEO ASSISTED THORACOSCOPY; DORSAL SYMPATHECTOMY;BILATERAL. It was an outpatient procedure and I was able to go home couple hours after surgery. I don't recall which two of the”T” nerves (T1, T2, T3, T4…) he severed but I do remember 2 surgeons and a nurse practitioner, during the initial doctor visit, were all in agreement as to which of the thoracic or “T” nerves to cut when they asked me which sweaty problem bothered me most which I clearly indicated when I showed them my wet palms and sweaty smelly feet. They did not second guess which thoracic or “T” nerves to cut. Performing ELS was NEVER discussed and no lumbar or “L” nerve was ever mentioned. No “L” nerve was cut or touched during the procedure!! Stanford surgeons have discovered which “T” nerve to cut for curing sweaty feet which should make ELS obsolete in my opinion. It's shocking to know that everyone else operates through the lumbar by an “L” nerve to cure sweaty feet! It just goes to show that they simply don't have the same knowledge nor share the same techniques that Stanford surgeons use under their sleeves.

The Stanford Clinic has very qualified, experienced, highly intelligent and thorough surgeons (best in the country) that work closely together as a team. Clearly, the more brains involved working for you the more successful you will be in achieving that goal of never having sweaty palms, armpits and feet ever again, in my opinion. It is also important to note that contrary to most surgeons around the world, the surgeons at Stanford DO NOT recommend any clamping of any nerves of any kind whatsoever which to me wasn't an issue because I truly wanted the nerves snipped completely anyway. They gave me a very scientific reason as to why NO ONE should opt for the clamps and I'm afraid I'm too dumb to explain to anyone in layman's terms why. But hands down, Stanford is by far the best in advanced medical procedures and treatment. They consistently earn the highest reputation of being one of the best in the world in medicine because they are pioneers in medical breakthroughs, innovation, and cures. No one else has been able to fix the sweaty feet problem without going thru the lumbar region. And I'm just one of their patients and living proof that their technique is truly successful. Interestingly, they don't perform ETS as much as some surgeons who specialize on ETS will do in a year because Stanford Hospitals and Clinics do not advertise about any specific treatment much less ETS for hyperhidrosis. Having said that, NO ONE really knows anything about what they can really do. But hyperhidrosis is just one of countless thoracic related conditions they are able cure and I'm here to let everyone know about my experience being treated by them. So, don't be fooled by the many 100s or 1000s of ETS procedures performed by a single surgeon to help convince inn believing they are the best. In my opinion, quality not quantity should take precedence in making your decision to undertake the ETS procedure. After all, there are many stupid and incompetent surgeons in the world making the same stupid mistakes over and over again year after year without ever improving their work, lacking knowledge of new medical advancements, breakthroughs and successful techniques that have been used by smarter ones for years. Yeah, keep figuring! Stanford is highly advanced in all areas of medicine PERIOD! My recommendation to anyone seeking ETS is CHOOSE YOUR SURGEON CAREFULLY! There are truly smarter and competent surgeons out there and I was just lucky enough to find one in my own neighborhood and hopefully I can help make someone make the right decision without having to go through the same daunting experience I've gone through in the search of the right surgeon. Btw, these guys specialize in minimally invasive procedures. The procedure they use is called VATS (Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery) Sympathectomy see link below. I HIGHLY recommend them. Good luck!

Stanford Hospitals and Clinics
        Thoracic Surgery Clinic
        875 Blake Wilbur Drive
        Palo Alto, CA
        Tel: 650-498-6000

https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-clinics/thoracic-surgery-clinic/conditions-treated.html

VAT Info:
        https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-treatments/v/vats/vats-types/vats-sympathectomy.html

unilyn on #6637

hi,
        Every morning I used to stress out over what to wear, everyone who has this problem knows how it is I assume! It was horrible. This sweating business is slowly ruining my life. since I’ve noticed it being so bad I feel like it’s gotten worse, and because I have really bad nerves I presume that’s why it’s getting worse? Every time I feel hot, I constantly think to myself.’ ’Am I sweating, oh god I’m getting even hotter’’ and it gets worse and worse. So now I restrict myself to go out, i just stay indoors most of the time. When I do on the other hand i wear the most stupidest tops even if it’s raining and just feel like an idiot, I thought I was the only one who had this problem but clearly not.. so to cut the story short, I don’t have much time to find something affective, no botox no surgery and no strange sweat pads… oh and if there’s something like drysol but without the irritation at night, that would be fab! Please help 🙁

-freed on #6767

Hi,
        This is a really helpful website. My sister had this problem before, it's not so much a problem now but now she has black underarms? And it's very easily irritable to any personal she puts on it. The area chafes and crack and it stings. Is there any product you can recommend for her to use? She’s actually kind of learnt to deal with sweaty pits and hands but it is still very embarrassing and she would really appreciate any advice and help for those people can offer on fixing her problem. Thanks. This is really a big problem as it's getting very unsightly and it hurts when the skin cracks. Hope you can help.

Julius Levin on #27937

ETS is supposedly more effective for upper extremity hyperhidrosis (Hyperhidrosis of the hands). Compensatory sweating is the most common adverse side effects to majority or almost every patient who have undergone ETS surgery or Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy surgery. Some also experienced Night sweats, Cold feet, Excessive body heat as side effects. Hence, it’s not a preferred choice as initial treatment. Actually, ETS surgery is extremely risky and it should only be your last resort.
        There are reports that some patient’s compensatory sweating are getting worse and worse through time. They have compensatory sweating in their feet, belly, forehead and back. Some worse side effects only shows after 5 years or more.

Viewing 11 reply threads
Reply To: Good hyperhidrosis surgery stories?
Your information:

Skip to toolbar