What about excessive sweat treatment..!!

Posted In: Hyperhidrosis Forum

kathleen on #2982

My body used to sweat a lot. I could never wear cute tops or designer wears for long time because of this sweating problem, that's why I always used to wore black clothes and dull colour jackets. I can't tolerate with it any more, and I am planning to attend an excessive sweat treatment. A friend of mine said about Fair View cosmetic surgery located at Toronto which gives hyper hydro sis treatment for years. I just wish to know your opinions about having an excessive sweat treatment.

sweaty no more! on #3046

I have been suffering from hyperhidrosis since puberty hit so I can remember dealing with it as far back as Grade 5. I am 33 now and a sales rep so you can imagine how delightful it is shaking people's hands all day when they are a soggy mess. I have been so self conscious of my hyperhidrosis that I have tried topical treatments, ionphoresis machines and nothing seemed to work. I looked into the surgery a couple of years ago and again looked into it this year because I was fed up but reading all of the possible side effects and going under the knife in general scared me.

I decided to go to my doctor again (last year I tried a medication but it didn't make a difference). This time my doctor prescribed me: Oxybutynin Chloride starting with a low dose and eventually going up to 1 pill twice a day. I have been on this medication since May 2015 and living in a humid climate during the summer all I can say is WOW I have never had a summer like this where I don't think twice about shaking someone's hand or wearing cute shows and clothes and not worrying about sliding out of my sandals or having big pit stains. This medication totally worked for me and it may not work for everyone but it is worth a try right? That's why I decided I needed to share this on this website because like a lot of you I trolled the internet looking for solutions to my sweating. I hope it works for at least a few of you out there. 🙂

• Participant
        Jack Millet on #3904

my experience with excessive sweating hands , feet and armpits, started before my teenage years .At that time my parents had me try all sorts of roll ons ,gels ,powders etc and nothing worked. I became more or less resigned to feeling like a social outcast.All the time trying to hide my condition and avoiding situations where I would have to shake hands or meet new people. Only HH sufferers know what that does to your social life. A few years ago ( I am now 41 ) I read an article about Iontophoresis therapy which talked about a 98% success rate with the therapy and I became interested.The Iontophoresis machine, the Idromed 5PC a seemed a bit on the expensive side,but they offered a money back guarantee if you were not dry after 8 weeks and I thought ” why not I ‘ve got nothing to lose “. to make a long story short, I did the therapy with the machine as prescribed , every day for eight days and nothing was happening , I was still sweating as always.Then on the 11th day of treatment my hands were suddenly dry ! my feet and armpits took a bit longer ,but those areas are also now under control.I can say that Iontophoresis has changed my life. I never seriously considered Botox treatments as they are way too expensive for my pocketbook.

Kevin on #3979

Excessive sweating is a common disorder which can cause a great deal of stress and unhappiness. Underarm problems tend to start in late adolescence, while palm and sole sweating often begins earlier, around the age of 13 (on average). Untreated, these problems may continue throughout life.

In your case you may try iontophoresis. It was introduced over 50 years ago as a treatment for excessive sweating. Its exact mechanism of action is still unclear, although it probably works by plugging up the sweat duct. The procedure uses water to conduct an electric current to the skin, which combats production of sweat. The current is applied typically for 10-20 minutes per session, initially with two to three sessions per week followed by a maintenance program of treatments at one- to three-week intervals, depending on the patient's response. Iontophoresis treatments sound as though they might be painful but in fact they are not.

KC on #4181

Try iontophoresis! I already did! During the treatment, I sat with my hands, feet, or both in a shallow tray of water for about 20 to 30 minutes, while a low electrical current travels through the water. I do not know exactly how this treatment works, but experts believe it blocks sweat from getting to your skin's surface. The treatment was repeated few times a week. Once you learn how to do iontophoresis, you can buy a machine to use at home. I have read that some people only require a couple of treatments a month for maintenance.

Another thing is surgery but it is only recommended for people with severe hyperhidrosis that hasn't responded to other treatments. During surgery, the doctor may cut, scrape, or suction out the sweat glands.

Nicholas Catrow on #4249

I have been suffering from hyperhidrosis since puberty hit so I can remember dealing with it as far back as Grade 5. I am 33 now and a sales rep so you can imagine how delightful it is shaking people’s hands all day when they are a soggy mess.

Japanland on #4287

I have suffered from Hyperhidrosis since i was a child. Playing outside in summer i was always drenched in sweat. As a child i never paid much attention to it. As i got older and the need for shaking hands when you meet someone for the first time, and upon every time meeting after that. Becoming romantically involved with someone and the holding hands begin. Or shaking coworkers hands, customers hands, using hand tools. I started noticing my condition and became more and more self continuous about it.

I started avoiding social situations because of all the hand shaking and horse playing that would be expected. I didn't want to be there with my hands sweating, arm pits and my face. HH makes me so uncomfortable being anywhere without constant AC blowing on me. Last summer was disastrous. I tried dry sol before bed every night for almost a month with no relief. So i bought a iontophoresis machine. Treatments were irregular due to the excruciating pain resulting from little cuts or knocks on my hands that i would get while working and i had to stop the treatments.

This summer was even worst so i started doing more research and read about antichlorigenics and ordered oxybutynin and WOW what a relief. I take 5mg before bed on a empty stomach and 5mg in the morning about a hour before i eat. Its safe to say i've never felt this happy, completely dry all over my body. Its like i was living my life inside my head before. Always worrying about my sweating and thinking how much i will miss out on life because this condition makes being social and outgoing almost impossible. A day after feeling the dry effect of this medicine a coworker that i would always find excuses not to hang out outside of work because of my sweating invited me to hang out. I just upped and went no hesitation, I met her sister and the sisters fiance, shook both their hands with a level of confidence i have never experienced before. Before i would think about who else would be there and how much i would be sweating and weather or not they notice. I would spend more of the time just waiting for the day to be over so i could run back to my apartment and sit under the AC. For the first time ever I felt completely comfortable in my own skin.

We went to a Soccer game, i was cheering the whole time, my hands up in the air with no pit stains. I was hi-fiving everybody with dry palms for the first time. Now I take long walks home after work while observing the nature around me, sit and read outside for hours without being drenched in sweat. My anxiety levels have fallen to almost zero. Anyone with HH looking for relief should give this medicine a try. The only side effect is my through is a little dry. But its tolerable.

Anil Shah on #5620

Hello,

There are a variety of techniques to decrease sweating under the arms:

• Botox- Botox is helpful in that it can decrease the production of sweat but not odor.  It typically lasts about 6 months in the under arm area.
        • Miradry-  Miradry uses microwave energy to destroy apocrine and eccrine glands.  It is better at eccrine gland destruction than apocrine and is currently only used on the underarm area.
        • RF needling- Can be used anywhere on the body and can destroy both apocrine and eccrine glands.  Has become the procedure of choice in my practice for hyperhidrosis due to its effectiveness.
        • Nerve ablation-Not commonly performed anymore as side effects are often worse than treatment and effectiveness is often limited.
        • Oral medications- Too many side effects to be effective.
        • Topical medications- Works by blocking glands.  Many patients state how not effective mechanism.

Viewing 7 reply threads
Reply To: What about excessive sweat treatment..!!
Your information:

Skip to toolbar