A Silly Botox Question

• Participant
        Brittany Davidson on #1694

Hi,

I am too tired and lazy to do all the research now, so please don't tell me that “Google is my friend”. šŸ˜‰

A silly question, really: how exactly is Botox in a hyperhidrosis treatment different from Botox in anti-age treatments? I mean, it is the same supstance, right? But from all that I know, Botox that works against wrinkles just freezes the muscles to smooth out the skin.

By some logic, Botox for hyperhidrosis does not do that, because paralyzed muscles won't reduce sweating … So, that Botox is supposed to be injected into sweat glands, or something like that?

This whole procedure seems confusing to me… I just don't understand the difference between “Hollywood Botox” and hyperhidrosis Botox. Lol, help!

Krystal on #3454

Hi Britanny,

One of the things to remember is that hyperhidrosis is a specialty care and one needs to be evaluated by someone with a special interest in this discipline, not just someone who simply injects Botox.

There are two types of sweat glands – eccrine and apocrine. Eccrine sweat glands cause the watery sweat (water and salts, especially sodium). Apocrine sweat, on the other hand, forms in hair follicles and sebaceous glands where bacterial growth occurs. Apocrine sweat glands cause the odor associated with sweating.

Unfortunately, most people have excessive sweating from eccrine glands with apocrine sweating causing them to smell the odor.

If you just have odor, use a deodorant. If you have excessive sweating then you can use topical antiperspirants. If these antiperspirants don't work, then one can get Botox injections.

Hope this helps.

Krystal

Renalin on #3455

Botox is a safe, long-lasting method to treat excessive sweating which can significantly improve your symptoms. When Botox is injected into your skin, it blocks the acetylcholine receptors that activate your sweat glands, disabling your ability to sweat in the areas where the Botox has been injected. This treatment has been in use for many years, and studies that have been conducted on its long-term effects have had very positive results.

Nina Daquiz on #3613

Think they are just the same, with different use. Botox is a commonly prescribed drug for a host of non-cosmetic medical conditions. It can treat excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) by paralysing the sweat glands. The downside is that injections in the hands and feet can be painful.

Eduardo Capetillo on #4720

Anti-age treatments of Botox is a cosmetic use. While for sweating is non-cosmetic use.
        Botox can treat excessive sweating by paralysing the sweat glands. It can be used on the armpits, face, hands and feet. In the underarm area, one Botox treatment can relieve excessive sweating for more than six months and in some cases for more than a year. It wears off after about three to four months in the feet and about six months in the hands. The downside is that injections in the hands and feet can be painful.

Aside from these two, Botox can also help those with bladder weakness. It's injected into the bladder muscle, causing it to relax, increasing storage capacity and reducing incontinence. The procedure lasts between six and 12 months.

kobi on #6630

Hi,
        I tried up reading all the comments because I know exactly how everyone feels on here! It sucks feeling insecure all the time. I love enjoying but I dread going out to places with friends in fear of embarrassment from my under arm odor. I take 2 showers a day and as soon as I get out I put deodorant and Iā€™m back to smelling 5 minutes later. I have tried everything! This problem has affected every part of my life, from going places, being intimate, picking out clothes, hanging out with friends and being active. What should I do? Please help.

-kobi

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: A Silly Botox Question
Your information:

Skip to toolbar