Bad reaction to Aluminium Chloride?

• Participant
        Ian Worthington on #4581

I've suffered from excessive armpit sweating most of my life. Last week I came across “Preventive”/”Zero”, and Aluminium Chloride/Alcohol/Salicylic acid rollon and decided to give up a try.

The first two nights were pretty uncomfortable: prickly heat irritation but daytime sweating was very well controlled. Some research seemed to indicate that properly drying the armpits prior to application with a hairdryer and talcing after after application and drying was key.

I tried that last night and a few hours later woke up in agony. Cleaned it all off, applied a mass of hydrocortisone cream and I can now nearly move my arms again without screaming.

Might my skin just be unsuitable for this treatment or is there a better way to apply it? I'm planning to wait a week formy skin to recover before I try anything again.

Sam on #4714

Hello Ian,

It is important to know that the most common adverse effects of aluminum chloride treatment are itching and stinging immediately after application and ongoing skin irritation. For underarms, to minimize irritation, let the alcohol evaporate (if needed, blow dry with a hair dryer on a cold air setting), leaving an evenly distributed film of medicine on the skin. Wear a T-shirt while sleeping to prevent the medicine from being rubbed off on bed linens. Also do not use other deodorants or antiperspirants while using aluminum chloride solution.

I bet you haven't tried using iontophoresis device. You may want to consider Hidrex next time.

Hope this helps.

-Sam

Mike on #5223

There is absolutely no doubt that aluminum chloride is used in the overwhelming majority of antiperspirants. The reason for this is that this aluminum compound is highly hygroscopic, soaking up water from sweat. I have experienced allergic reactions as skin rash, swelling of the face and tongue. My advise is not apply this to broken or irritated skin. Do not shave or use hair-removing products within 12 hours before or after applying.

Frank on #5480

Most deodorants and antiperspirants contain aluminum. And aluminum chlorhydrate is used in the overwhelming majority of antiperspirants. The reason for this is that this aluminum compound is highly hygroscopic, soaking up water from sweat. Unlike the aluminum chloride with which some commentators confuse it, aluminum chlorhydrate is safe for application on the skin.
        Aluminum chlorhydrate is not just used in antiperspirants. It is also used as a flocculant in some water treatment systems. Flocculants help dirt, debris, and bacteria settle out of water so the fluid on top can be put into the water supply.

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: Bad reaction to Aluminium Chloride?
Your information:

Skip to toolbar