Botox, anxiety and sweaty hands

Reese79 on #1916

Would Botox work against excessive sweat on my palms even if my sweaty hands are caused by anxiety disorder?

It doesn't seem clear to me if Botox vanquishes excessive sweat (symptoms) regardless of its cause (which can be a simple sweat glands disorder, or, as in my case, an anxiety disorder.)

I will try to research more into this, but for now it seemed easiest to ask a question here. From what I gather, some people here already had Botox hyperhidrosis treatment done on their hands, so I'm guessing they will know how it works. 🙂

Thank you kindly.
        Reese

• Participant
        Melanie on #1918

As far as I know, yeah, Botox blocks excessive sweat regardless of its cause, so you should be good! 😀

It stops the glands, simple as that, so essentially yeah, it deals with the symptoms and not with the cause of excessive sweating. But wait, do you have sweaty hands all the time, or only when you get anxious?

And are you sure that Botox is the way to go if you have anxiety issues? Not to sound condescending, but maybe you should deal with your anxiety first (counseling, meds…) It might stop your anxiety and cure your sweaty hands at the same time. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use a hyperhidrosis treatment to stop sweating, but think about all your options first.

Christalyn Bacon on #3703

Botox has many uses including treating hyperhidrosis! It works by blocking the chemical signals from the nerves that stimulate the sweat glands. It’s also very likely that your insurance will cover Botox when it isn’t used for cosmetic reasons. Mine did! Yes! I undergo Botox for my excessive sweating! After numbing my hands on ice packs, the doctor quickly injected each palm 15 times. And yes, it was painful, especially in the fingertips — I have a high tolerance for pain and I definitely wanted to scream a few times. The method took about 20 minutes total. My doctor warned it would take up to two weeks to see improvement, but a little over a week later, as I watched the back of my hands glisten during my spin class, I realized my palms were uncharacteristically dry. It’s now been the full two weeks and I’ve noticed a huge difference, one that made the painful process 100 percent worth it.

Janis on #3762

Yes, botox has many uses other than smoothing the foreheads of aging celebs. Like treating hyperhidrosis! It generally works by blocking the chemical signals from the nerves that stimulate the sweat glands. My insurance company did cover my Botox because it is not used for cosmetic reasons.
        After numbing my hands on ice packs, my doctor quickly injected each palm 15 times. And yes, it was painful, especially in the fingertips. I have a high tolerance for pain and I definitely wanted to scream a few times. The process took about 20 minutes total. Possible side effects include minor loss of muscle grip and slight bruising for a few days.
        The doctor warned me that it would take up to two weeks to see improvement, but a little over a week later, as I watched the back of my hands glisten during my spin class, I realized my palms were uncharacteristically dry.

Sam on #3869

Yes, botox is an option to help with sweating in the palms. It is recommended with the treatment of hands and/or feet to receive 75-100U per hand or foot. You know if you are a sufferer — you sweat in everyday situations; when you are stressed or anxious, in a new situation, or when meeting new people. I’ve always taken my sweating for granted. I thought it was just normal that during a work meeting, even if I felt like I was in control, my palms would be giving me away. It was only recently that I came to the realization that it wasn’t just a fact of human life, and there was an answer — Botox.

Jade on #4319

The only time my sweaty hands have worked to my advantage was when I was 18 and took my driver’s test. I had soaked the wheel, and the poor instructor thought I was nervous so he let me skip the parallel parking.

What he didn’t know was that this had been happening for as long as I could remember. In fact, I can’t remember a time when I didn’t constantly search for something to wipe my hands on.

It took a while to ask for help — partly because I didn’t know what options were available and partly because my parents told me I would grow out of it. But as my hands dripped all through college, I realized I needed to see a doctor.

The simplest solution he gave me is applying a cream like Drysol or Certain Dri every night in order to build salt clogs that stop the sweat from reaching the surface. Iontophoresis, a process that uses an electrical current to stop the sweating, is another option but it requires maintenance. Some people take a drug called Robinul, but Dr. Vine doesn’t prescribe it because, while it dries the problem area, it also dries everything else, like your nose, mouth and, um, other parts of your body you probably don’t want dry.

Botox also has many uses other than smoothing the foreheads of aging celebs. Like treating hyperhidrosis! It works by blocking the chemical signals from the nerves that stimulate the sweat glands.

Cath on #5147

Many people who suffer from excessive sweating have suffered for many years, often from childhood. They may constantly worry about having to change clothes, or shaking hands etc.

Botox must reduce localized excessive sweating by an average of 83%. It brings your problem sweating back to normal. This simple procedure is well tolerated and has no downtime. However, botox for hyperhidrosis is not a cure and will not permanently stop excess sweating. But it will however provide temporary relief for up to 6 months. Generally, it needs to be repeated every three to six months for maximum effect.

Coco on #5481

Here is my botox treatment experience. My doctor used ice packs first. After numbing my hands on ice packs, the doctor quickly injected each palm 15 times. And yes, it was painful, especially in the fingertips — I have a high tolerance for pain and I definitely wanted to scream a few times. The procedure took about 20 minutes total.

It is now been two weeks since the treatment and I have noticed a huge difference, one that made the painful process 100 percent worth it. So while I won't be pole dancing for a guy anytime soon, I'm happy that at least I can hold his hand.

simon on #6077

Hi
        For me, this problem started 2 years ago. First it was very smelly sweat odor and it lasted for a few months. Now I just sweat underarm more then usually which wouldn't bother me much if it wasn't for a wet patches on my shirt. I do have very sensitive armpits so can't use strong antiperspirants while other don't help and also I'm not too keen on chemicals they are made of. So now I'm using a natural deodorant and Nonchalance underarm pads that stop sweating from showing, at least most of the time. It is problem and everybody has to find it's own way how to deal with it. But i am thinking to undergo into botox injection . Is it good if ill try it?

kindly please acknowledge my comment.thanks

lea on #6129

I understand that there are quite a few people (mostly girls) who have been discussing how horrible their sweating has become. Like many, I am 20 and female as well. I have been dealing with severe sweating issues ever since age of 15. My mother and I have tried it all, men's deodorant, women's deodorant, (all antiperspirant, mind you), natural deodorant, extreme deodorant (around 20% antiperspirant), multiple deodorant at a time, and it is truly getting ridiculous. Over the years, we have probably tried around 15 different types of deodorant. It has gotten so bad that I would have circles of sweat underneath my arms, and one guy in my grade even asked me what it was. This is going to sound incredibly cliche, however, I truly need some natural remedies to stop the trauma. (I also know that many have mentioned Botox, and unfortunately, that is not exactly tangible in this day and age due to the horrendous economy.)

richard on #6712

Best advice to avoid Botox or surgery – keep your armpits clean and shaved regularly, use cornstarch (baby powder) under clean armpits and try the vinegar treatment nightly. It will not happen overnight but hopefully you will see results in 2-3 weeks. Also, monitor the food that you eat – minimize or eliminate processed foods, refined sugar, and so forth. Young ladies – you can camouflage the sweat by wearing dark colors and camouflage blends until you are able to control – also, try getting regular exercise 2-3 times a week. Hope this helps – I am very successful and I made it, sweaty armpits and all 🙂

-richard

Salma Stevenson on #8387

Sweating can really cause a lot of social anxiety. I have hyperhidrosis. Its precise causes aren’t known — but my mother also has it. Just over two weeks ago, I had a $200 Botox treatment that promised to put an end to the discomfort. I received approximately 40 Botox injections in each palm. It’s already changed my life. Despite having a topical numbing cream put on my palms, I still felt the deep sting of each injection. BUT swelling has gone down now, the bruises have paled, and I can say that I’m now 98 percent sweat-free, although the doctor says I have to do the injections every three months to keep up the results.

Charlie on #24440

Hi, I am a 23-year old male. I live in west coast. I think I have hyperhidrosis. I sweat more compared to others. Even after doing some task that are not too heavy it takes lots of time for my body to cool down compared with others. My forehead, head and neck sweats more than other parts. Because of this I am uncomfortable to go outside. I cannot manage with my forehead sweating profusely than any other parts. It can be hereditary since my father also sweats a lot. Is there any permanent measures to control this. A response will be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 12 reply threads
Reply To: Botox, anxiety and sweaty hands
Your information:

Skip to toolbar