Botox health insurance coverage?

• Participant
        Ramona on #1394

Are Botox hyperhidrosis treatments something a common health insurance policy would cover? For example, if the treatment is recommended by a physician and seems like the best or most efficient way to cure the problem?

I am afraid that Botox has a terrible stigma as Hollywood's favorite poison – what if this makes it an undesirable (luxury) option in the eyes of health insurance companies? I wonder if someone had some kind of Botox treatment to stop sweating and got at least part of the expenses covered by his or her health insurance policy. Wouldn't that be nice? *daydreams*

• Participant
        Tim Fleiss on #1395

Mine wasn't covered. I think they rarely are. There is no rule here. The main checkbox is ticked: Botox for hyperhidrosis has a FDA approval, so in theory it could be covered by a health insurance policy. Some private health insurance policies might be willing to cover it, but it is still a rarity from what I have heard. As long as there are cheaper options out there, Botox will look like luxury even if it's being used for health purposes.

Elena V. on #1405

I can imagine this happening in cases where hyperhidrosis patient cannot recieve any other kind of (cheaper) treatment. Take for instance that someone's skin is too sensitive and cannot withold iontophoresis; that he has strong side effects of medication; that he's allergic to some ingredient in antiperspirants, and so on – you get what I mean.

If Botox is the cheapest available option, that is seems only fair that it gets covered by insurance. However, this only if you can prove that hyperhidrosis is heavily disrupting your daily life… And even then everything will depend on a health insurance policy. But, bottom line, I can see the cases where health insurance coverage for Botox might be possible. In theory. 😀

• Participant
        Ramona on #1432

Doesn't sound good. I think I can kiss Botox goodbye. :mrgreen: Oh well. I just read so many stories about people who got SO much better from Botox and were then dry for months and months… I would love to try this someday, I think. Maybe when I'm older. 🙂

Nina Daquiz on #3614

Ramona, in some cases, it is covered.

• Participant
        Andy Winters on #4194

I am trying to get coverage for my 14 year old daughter, My insurance will cover for adults only but they told me to appeal… can anyone point me to any studies that found Botox successful for treatment in teens? I know it is FDA approved for adults, but in my appeal process they are asking me to provide anything showing it works for teens.

Thanks,
        Andy

Erika on #4270

Aloha!

I was tired of the skin irritation of other treatments and the short term results they gave me on my excessive sweating. All I wanted was the freedom to wear lighter colored shirts and dresses without the embarrassment of sweat stains within minutes of getting dressed! Then I had a botox treatment. The botox procedure was relatively painless and very quick and the doctor  and nurse were so kind and understanding. No cons that I can think of. I'm excited for the next few days and weeks to start seeing results.

I'm not sure on the cost including what the insurance paid. I have my father to take care of those things.

Thanks,

Erika

Jerry on #4420

Botox is FDA approved for treatment of excessive underarm sweating so many insurances at least take a look at coverage. On the other hand, most will not cover treatment for excessive perspiration of the palms, soles, etc. Most experienced injectors offer a “volume” discount for hyperhidrosis so that the injection fees are not outrageous.

Very simply explained, insurance does NOT cover Botox for cosmetic use. However, insurances occasionally do cover Botox usage for hyperhidrosis (excess sweating), but these covered services usually have to be approved by your insurance through your physician's office.

The number of units depends on the extent of treatment desired, therefore it would be difficult to say how much it would be for you.

slery on #4602

Insurance mostly will not pay for underarm sweating treatments with botox. Most experienced injectors offer a “volume” discount for hyperhidrosis so that the injection fees are not outrageous. Typical costs for underarms can be as little as $500 for a session.

The answer depends on your insurance company. Each one has a policy about hyperhidrosis on, but in my experience most will initially reject claims for Botox for hyperhidrosis. Sometimes they will pay after you write letters and fight with them, but they pay very little (I have even had a case where they paid us less than the cost of the bottle of Botox).

Pearl on #5667

Mine was covered 🙂

steven on #6834

I Have been suffering from really bad sweat patches under my arms. I Find it so hard to cope. I Tend to keep my coat on all day if i can even through lessons because my problem is so bad. I Feel So Uncomfortable And I Just wish it would all go away. Currently, Botox has only been approved for the treatment of underarm sweating. In studies, Botox was extremely effective in treating underarm sweating. Doctors use it “off-label” to treat other areas of the body. Studies have found that Botox successfully treats sweaty palms in 80 to 90 percent of cases. However, the treatments don’t last quite as long as the underarm treatments. Studies also show that Botox works to treat forehead sweat. It can reduce sweating by 75 percent for about five months.

Ernesto on #7650

Some of my Dermatology clinics see significant traffic of patients seeking this treatment for excessive sweating, however we are finding that few cases are being approved by insurance for coverage of treatment using Botox.

There are a series of other products available that my be less expensive and potentially helpful in providing relief. If you have tried several products and are not seeing significant changes in your excessive sweating, I do suggest Botox Therapeutic treatment.

Lynlyn on #8277

If your sweating fails to improve with prescription antiperspirants, the you can try Botox. It has been FDA-approved for people who sweat excessively from their armpits. However, the cost of Botox injections varies depending on your circumstances and the city where you live. If you need several areas of your body done, then it can be added to the total cost. The typical cost for underarms is around $1,000. Fortunately, many insurance companies cover all or part of the cost. In some cases, your insurance company wants to see that you have tried other options first before jumping into botox, such as prescription antiperspirants.

Steve on #8892

I had Botox to stop my underarm sweating. The cost is $1500 per session. My insurance did not cover it. So you have to think twice before undergoing Botox treatment because it is really pricey. Fortunately, Botox isn’t the only solution to axillary hyperhidrosis. Prescription antiperspirants and oral medications can also help subdue the effects of excessive sweating. Over-the-counter antiperspirant and deodorant also work for some. You may also try sweat-proof undershirts. It really works in hiding sweats but doesn't really cure the sweating. I have tried Thompson Tee it really fits me well. Goodluck to your sweat journey. Wish you all the best.

Viewing 13 reply threads
Reply To: Botox health insurance coverage?
Your information:

Skip to toolbar