Botox- is it painful?

• Participant
        Riley on #4019

Hi everyone! I have hyperhidrosis and have been considering Botox to help with the sweating for a long time. The one thing holding me back is that I've heard it's fairly painful. Does anyone who's had the Botox injections have any input or personal experience with this? Thanks!

Jacqueline on #4024

Riley, I've had experience with Botox. I can tell you that having it done on the hands and feet is pretty painful. And I'm very tolerant to pain! In the armpits and other areas it's really tolerable.
        What are the areas in which you suffer of this problem?

Tom on #4029

Hi Riley,

I had Botox on my forehead last week and it was nowhere near as painful as I thought it would be, it felt the same as having normal booster jabs, a slight sting for each injection and it was all over in 30 seconds

Dra Renita on #4306

Aloha!

The pain during the injection process for treating sweaty underarms may be comfortably managed with topical numbing cream. You may also try some ice application to the area.

For underarms, you will receive about 20 injections with a fine-gauged needle into each. Each injection feel a bit like a mosquito bite.  For other areas like the palms and soles, we prefer to use regional blocks or short duration NOO inhalation for better pain relief.  For some patients, there is no pain once the needle is withdrawn.

You may also want to consider MiraDry, a noninvasive, in-office procedure. Patients typically have a 90% reduction with just one treatment.

-Dra. Renita

Davin Lim on #4494

Think of the procedure as tiny ant bites, but over 20-25 on each armpit. It usually inject both arms at the same time to speed up the process. In the scheme of things, 95% of patients tolerate the procedure without any problems, but some find it painful. Remember pain is very subjective.

This is how I deal with things- if you had the procedure before, or if you have a low pain threshold (nothing to be worried about), come in 30 minutes early and sit you in a quiet room with some 23/7 gel on. This takes away 80% of the pain, and in some cases 100%.

Pain is the least problematic stumbling block of getting Botox for excessive sweating.

Regards

Dr. Davin Lim

Steven on #5082

Most of my patients seem to tolerate Botox injections for hyperhidrosis very well. The needle used is small and the treatment is quick, despite the number if injections delivered. Think of the procedure as tiny ant bites, but over 20-25 on each armpit. Also, a topical anesthetic cream can be used to help alleviate some of the discomfort. You may a cold pack as well. This treatment is very effective in reducing excessive sweating for three to six months. Pain is the least problematic stumbling block of getting Botox for excessive sweating.

Khoai on #5632

Yes, Botox is painful but tolerable. It will help if you take pain reliever after.

Jonacris on #5767

The short answer is, not really. Botox injections in general are one using a tiny micro-needle, which helps minimize any pain associated with the treatment. Pain during the injection process for treating sweaty underarms, can be comfortably managed with topical numbing cream and some ice application to the area.

vanessa on #6034

hello Everyone
        Any injection can hurt, but the needles used for Botox injections are very small, so pain is usually minimal. The area can be numbed with a topical anesthetic cream or cold pack 10-20 minutes before the injections are given, so you may not feel much pain,You may feel a little discomfort later, once the anesthetic cream has worn off.
        In a long process if there are side effects in your Botox injections see your doctor immediately.
        Moreover, Don't get injections at a “Botox party” at somebody's house. A medical setting is safer, and any side effects can be treated immediately.
        thanks a lot.

Phil Young on #25119

I started doing Botox around last year for my hands and feet and it works for me. The Procedure only lasted for 30 minutes with no downtime. I wont lie though, it was super painful. You might want to prepare yourself mentally before doing it. And treat yourself with some good food after, lol.
        I'm getting Botox every 3-4 months.
        I would still sweat at times but not as excessive as before.
        I still sweat in my feet, but that's more manageable now than before.

Viewing 9 reply threads
Reply To: Botox- is it painful?
Your information:

Skip to toolbar