BOTOX or MiraDry for Underarm Sweat???

Emem on #9133

I have a really annoying underarm sweat. Really terrible. It’s at its worst when I'm stressed out, in close quarters, or both—and any resulting sweat stains and odor only serve to stress me out more. Antiperspirants somehow help, but they leave marks on clothing, and they often don’t hold up to the demands of my day. I wanted to undergo Botox or Miradry however, I just do not know what's best. Just don't wanna spend my money if I am not sure which one is effective. We all know both are pricey and not all insurance cover it. I have read that both treatments for underarm sweats can achieve significant sweat reduction within a few days after treatment. But which one is the best? Any ideas?

Sue on #9162

Hi Emem,
        I currently suffer from severe underarm sweating (going about 5 years now) and I currently get Botox treatment for it. While I don't know much about miraDry, and cannot tell if it works as shown, I do know that my Botox treatments take a lot of work. I have to visit my dermatologist periodically, every 3 to 4 months to get Botox injections. During each visit, 100ml of Botox is injected in each underarm, about 10 injections each underarm. My insurance covers my treatments so also have to factor in dealing with insurance, pharmacy to send medication prior to doctor visit and scheduling with doctor's office for each visit every 3 to 4 months. Botox reduces my perspiration and odors for about 2 to 3 months and then I have to do it all over again. All of that adds up pretty quickly especially if it continues for years.
        MiraDry advertises as little as 1 treatment for life with a 86% success rate or something like that. It is pricey but if it works without all the hoops for Botox treatments, it is definitely worth considering. In fact, I am currently exploring it as an option.

Sue on #9163

I currently suffer from severe underarm sweating (going about 5 years now) and I currently get Botox treatment for it. While I don't know much about miraDry, and cannot tell if it works as shown, I do know that I have to visit my dermatologist periodically, every 3 to 4 months to get Botox injections. During each visit, 100ml of Botox is injected in each underarm, about 10 to 15 injections each underarm. My insurance covers my treatments so also have to factor in dealing with insurance, pharmacy to sent medication and scheduling with doctor's office for each visit every 3 to 4 months. Botox reduces my perspiration and odors for about 2 to 3 months and then I have to do it all over again. All of that adds up pretty quickly especially if it continues for years.
        MiraDry advertises as little as 1 treatment for life with a 86% success rate or something like that. It is pricey but if it works without all the hoops for Botox treatments, it is definitely worth considering.

Monica on #9187

Both MiraDry and BOTOX are FDA approved to treat excessive underarm sweating. Both treatments can achieve significant sweat reduction within a few days after treatment. I tried Botox. Haven't tried Miradry because I don't feel it is necessary. The typical cost of Botox for two underarms is roughly $1,000. Fortunately, many insurance companies cover all or part of the cost. Mine covers. This isn't a permanent solution, though. The injections only last a few months, so the procedure needs to be repeated as necessary.

I suggest you should go to the doctor for you to be assessed. Each patient has unique needs and goals. The doctor can outline the pros and cons of both.

Dr. Ang on #9262

While both are completely non-surgical treatment for hyperhidrosis, miraDry goes straight to the source and targets overactive sweat glands in the underarms.

Both of these treatments can be highly effective in decreasing the symptoms of hyperhidrosis, even for patients who tried other alternatives for the nth times. The right treatment for you will depend on your needs. Botox is not a permanent solution and can become costly if you choose to continue treatments over time. You will also need to be prepared to have regular visits with your Botox provider scheduled every few months as the effects wear off.

miraDry on the other hand is often best suited for patients who struggle with sweating and are ready to permanently eliminate approximately 90% of their underarm sweat. However, patients will have temporary numbness and swelling and many patients do require two treatments for maximum results.

Kurt Russell on #9649

For me, MiraDry is preferable. While Botox is effective, the effects are temporary. You also need re-treatment every three to seven months to maintain positive results. While on Miradry, only one to two treatments are needed, then it is the end of sweating.

MiraDry works by delivering controlled electromagnetic energy to the underarm area. This means it destroys the underarm sweat glands so that they can no longer able to produce sweat. This energy also treats a significant amount of the oil glands that produce underarm odor. It also decrease a significant amount of the hair follicles in the underarm area after just one treatment.

Botox and Miradry are both pricey, but MiraDry much worth the price.

Maddie on #9687

Hi Kurt,

We both share the same preference and idea. I also like Miradry than Botox when dealing with underarm sweating. For the same reasons, Botox is temporary. Miradry is a permanent solution.

-Maddie

Aiz on #10687

I like Miradry it gives immediate results and also reduces the hair on my armpit.

Victor M on #12059

I personally prefer Miradry because it provides immediate results compared to Botox where in you need to have at least two session to see some result. And more sessions afterwards as maintenance. Also results for Miradry is permanent. In most cases, patients only need one session to experience permanent results, with only a few requiring one to two additional sessions. In addition, Botox has lots of side effects compared to Miradry. Moneywise, they are both pricey. But you can save a lot from Miradry since only one to two sessions are needed. I did not experience any side effects on it.

Jane Morden on #12881

I prefer botox. It was often associated with cosmetic but Botox injections use botulinum toxin to block the nerve signals responsible for sweating, stopping the sweat glands from producing too much sweat. Retreatment is typically needed in four to six months, as the nerves regenerate. However, there are times that patients can go longer between treatments.
        The injections are generally tolerable and I would say that the treatment is really effective. The underarms, in particular, respond well. Sweat glands on the hands and feet also respond well to Botox injections, but patients tend to find the injections themselves more painful on the hands and feet because there are more nerve endings there.

jacob on #21606

Botulinum toxin A (Botox) latest medical niche is the treatment of excessive underarm sweating. The injections are uncomfortable, but use of a very small injection needle makes them tolerable.

Now that this treatment has received FDA approval for hyperhidrosis, many health insurers are providing coverage for the injections and the Botox itself after other treatments have failed.

Currently, the FDA has not approved Botox for sweating of the palms and soles of the feet, but some physicians are administering it as an off-label use, and surprisingly it was reported with success. Skilled practitioners have used Botox for the head and face, as well.

France Adams on #27601

Botox worked as good treatment for hyperhidrosis. Since the time Botox was approved by FDA to treat excessive sweating in the face, palms and underarms, it has become a blessing to the people suffering from hyperhidrosis. And they were much less invasive compared to surgical removals of sweat glands or endoscopic nerve blocks.
        Botox is a natural, purified protein that can temporarily block the secretion of the chemical that is responsible the body’s sweat glands. By blocking, this chemical, Botox turns off sweating in the area where it has been injected.
        I have really been enjoying this normal body experience since my first underarm Botox treatment 2 months ago. And I hope it would last for 6 months as it’s promised.

Viewing 11 reply threads
Reply To: BOTOX or MiraDry for Underarm Sweat???
Your information:

Skip to toolbar