Clothing for women who suffer from hyperhidrosis

Lara on #5013

Hello everyone,

Does anybody knows about clothing for women who suffer from hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)? I started to suffer from excessive sweating which in turn started to leave unattractive sweat stains on my clothing.

Hyperhidrosis has many social and functional implications that affects me since young age. I was completely unprepared to deal with the problem, I began to feel incredibly embarrassed and self-conscious in public and it really started to affect all areas of my life. I also have issues of self-confidence, frustration, and social inhibition due to this condition. Even in winter months when I was cold I still found myself sweating, and restricted my clothing to dark colours to try and minimise the visibility of the stains. I knew about sweatproof undershirts for men, but I don't know if it works well on women too, and of course, the size doesn't seem to fit me.

I felt that I had to make changes to my appearance, steering clear of tight clothing and sleeves -preferring to wear vest tops so that no sweat patches could form under my arms.

I carried spare clothes in my car along with a towel and shower gel so I could randomly have showers in friends and families houses if I was near there.

I also carried deodorant in my bag because I was always conscious the sweat on my clothes is bad.

I hope someone can help me find the right cure and a sweatproof undershirt for women.

– Lara

Cath on #5148

I used sweat-proof undershirts and sweat-proof armpit pads I bought on Amazon.

Kiara Ailen on #5919

Good day!!!!!
        This is a hot time for performance shirting—and that means more ways for you to keep cool. Suddenly, you’re wishing there were more dress shirts that had figured out this sweating problem. So, naturally, shirts are a mix of outdoorsy performance and office-ready style. The cotton is breathable and moisture wicking, as well as anti-bacterial, and a performance gusset reinforce the armpits. Synthetic fibers are designed to lift sweat from your skin and onto the shirt's fabric, where the sun and air evaporate it. This barely there shirt hung like a feather ,even after sweat had begun to accumulate.

Brittany on #5962

Hi,

I received tried Knix, and ItsDrii.

Both worked fairly well. ItsDrii worked slightly better. I was still damp, at some points, but no sweat stains. I did only wear either for half a day.

Sadly the sleeves are longer then most female oriented t-shirt designs. I bought them to wear under the grey scrubs I’m required to have for a clinical rotation.

mayvelyn on #6079

I have sweat excessively since I was in middle school. Working out, running, sitting and not moving…. I sweat worse under the armpits and sometimes the groin. Here is what I have come to find out.

Two Hypothetical situations (I'm in college, so I will use a college scenario):

1.)Hot day, walking to my class in a lecture hall, arrive sweaty and hot and sit down. People around me notice my sweat stains. Couple people whisper to their friends and look at me, couple people next to me look at the sweat stains and look away. I get embarrassed, obviously. I try to hide my stains by putting my arms down tight. The stress from thinking about it and the heat from my arms down just makes me sweat more. I get more nervous, start sweating from my face as well, people can now obviously tell that I'm embarrassed, pity me, feel bad for me. I miss all the info from the lecture and sit miserable and embarrassed for more than an hour in a lecture with 200 watchful, judgmental peers….Life sucks. Scenario

2.) Hot day, walking to my class in a lecture hall, arrive sweaty and hot and sit down. People around me notice my sweat stains. Couple people whisper to their friends and look at me, couple people next to me look at the sweat stains and look away. I take deep breathes, smile to myself about how trivial my sweat stains are compared to my grades in college, how people who are actually genuine and who I would care to hang out with wouldn't care or make fun of my sweating, and that my complete non-chalant attitude towards my sweating (obviously noticeable) is ultimately witnessed as CONFIDENCE to those who notice my obvious stains and my not-caring attitude. I have realized that my self-consciousness about my sweating comes from the “anticipation” of being made fun of or being made embarrassed by someone (more often of the opposite sex).

I have realized that if someone actually made fun of it to my face or to a friend, they would obviously not be a person who I would naturally want to associate with or be friends with. I have been through quite horrible and embarrassing situations involving sweating over my youth, but what I have come to realize, is that if I act normally and confidently with a sweat sodden shirt and pants, and try and interact with people and be friendly, it is going to send a much different message about my person to someone than if they see me embarrassed, looking at and trying to hide my sweat stains.

The final answer to your sweating: See it for what it is, reason out the worst that could happen with your sweating (you become embarrassed, why? Because you let yourself become embarrassed!) I know, I know, it is so much easier said than done, but I guarantee you, if you can practice being mindful and not caring about your sweating, even interacting with people with a smile when it is so obvious!, you will learn to not care about your sweating, and be so much more happy and confident in more than one aspect of your life. After all, how many people can say that they feel 100% confident sweating their ass of in a lecture hall filled with 200 college students, with lots of people watching you. I can, and it only took me 8 years of experiencing and figuring out what I just told you in 20 minutes… And the process of reaching this point is one of the hardest things I have ever done.

If you have trouble keeping on track, it might be beneficial to see a psychologist instead of return trips to a dermatologist, just to help you talk things out and keep your mindfulness on track. (I personally never did lol, but I know it wouldn't have taken me 8 years if I used a psychologist as a ‘secret confident and supporter.' Best of luck to everyone, hope you all can come to appreciate it for what it is, your body just chilling =D

Fi on #6434

Hi Lara. I know of moisture wicking clothing used by hikers, athletes etc. I can only wear cotton or linen. I cannot wear anything with a high neckline. Even a regular tee can make me overheat. I do take Oxybutinin Hydrochloride. IT IS FANTASTIC. I stopped sweating by the second day of taking it. I watched a medical documentary as I saw it included a lady who got drenched from head to toe, as I did. I followed the lead to a Dutch doctor who had treated someone for a bladder problem with the same drug. They mentioned that it had also ‘cured' their extreme body sweats. It is licenced for bladder problems but some doctors are confident enough to prescribe ‘off label' drugs for differing problems.
        Hope this helps.
        Fi

Val Davids on #25670

Since sweating is unavoidable, you need to find clothes that are designed to keep you cool. And look for ways to lessen the appearance of sweat.
        When going to a hot place where air conditioners are not available, you should wear loose and breathable pieces made from natural fabrics like linen cotton, or silk.
        For additional protection, there are absorbent, disposable underarm shields or pads for both men and women that you can buy in amazon. These are so easy to use. Apply the pads directly to the underarm inseam of your shirt or blouse. Each pad has strong adhesive which will securely stay in place.

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Clothing for women who suffer from hyperhidrosis
Your information:

Skip to toolbar