Facial Hyperhidrosis – Seeking suggestions

Posted In: Hyperhidrosis Forum

Ricardo on #7880

I am a 61 year old male that has noticed an issue with Hyperhidrosis within the last 4 years.

I am a type II diabetic. I take the following medications;

Ozempic, 0.5 mg/once weekly
        Metformin – 500mg/once daily
        Atorvastatin – 10 mg/once daily
        Metoprolol – 100 mg/once daily
        Cabergoline – 0.5 mg/2 pills twice weekly

I do see an endocrinologist on a quarterly basis for diabetes management and this issue has been discussed with the doctor.

The issue – I seem to perspire heavily about the scalp, face and neck – brought on my hot weather, spicy food and during periods of stress/physical work. While some of this may sound normal, I grew up eating spicy food and never perspired, now even the mildest of hot spice brings about perspiration. The simplest of work tasks brings about perspiration that appears as if someone is pouring water on the top of my head. I no longer enjoy riding in a convertible car when the temperature reaches the mid 80s and above. My favorite vacation destinations in Latin America aren't as enjoyable as they once were.

I also noticed a similar condition in my father once he crossed his mid 50s. Is this perhaps hereditary?

My endocrinologist ruled out diabetes as a cause. I started taking Oxybutynin, 5 mg/twice per day and increased to 3 times and was on this for 6 months and did not get relief.

Next I tried Glycate, 1.5 mg/twice daily for 30 days and received no relief.

Currently my endocrinologist suggested as an experiment to stop taking Metoprolol (taken for control of migraines) to see if that offered relief. After one week, it has not.

I've heard of surgery as a method of resolving this but needed additional information.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Benny on #8358

Haven't had any surgery. I just made sure I was staying well-hydrated. But if you want surgery, Botox injections can be used to decrease the activity of nerves affecting the sweat glands. However, it may take several treatments for the injections to begin working, but they can help with symptoms for up to one year. Some insurance also covers it so you do not have to worry about the price. It can also help if you try avoiding spicy foods and caffeine, both of which can increase sweating. Just a piece of advice. There are a number of effective treatment options available.

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: Facial Hyperhidrosis – Seeking suggestions
Your information:

Skip to toolbar