Getting Dressed When You Have Hyperhidrosis (Excessive Sweating)

Mario on #10209

Managing, if not totally curing, hyperhidrosis requires daily preparation. With proper planning, you might be able to see a difference in the way you sweat.

The best way to start is by carefully choosing your outfits every single day. Even if you can’t stop sweating completely, wearing the right clothing can help you hide the sweat and make you feel more comfortable as well.

Dressing in layers is a rule of thumb during the winter months. However, you can wear layers to help with excessive sweating no matter what the season. Start with a thin layer of clothing underneath, and top it with a loose, warm piece of clothing. During the summer months, wear a tank underneath a regular shirt. When it’s cold, wear a cotton long-sleeve shirt underneath a jacket or sweater. This way, should you start sweating in the middle of the day, you can take off the top layer of clothing to help cool you down.

If you're going to buy sweat-friendly professional clothes, look for these fabrics that absorb excess sweat, rather than wick it away.

Elle on #10598

I prefer wearing cotton fabric to manage my sweating. Cotton is a natural fibre which allows air to circulate and move freely through the fabric, ensuring airflow that dries out damp areas of the body. A good quality lightweight cotton also absorbs moisture, allowing you to cool down quickly, and comes in a variety of styles and colours.

A cotton polyester blend is also one best option. It’s also worth noting that as cotton soaks up moisture, it can become heavy and wet so may show sweat patches. As a result, you’re best bet is to opt for light, rather than dark, colours in order to avoid pit marks.

Katie Crissman on #15259

The material your clothing is made from matters more than almost anything else when it comes to reducing the impact of sweat. The type of fiber you put on your body determines how breathable your clothing is, and ultimately, how much sweat gets trapped against your skin. During the summer (and any other season) it is a good idea to wear light natural fibers. Cotton or linen are excellent choices. They absorb sweat and keep it from clinging to the body while also allowing for air flow to cool the skin. Wool and silk are also natural fibers that may allow skin to breathe, but they may not be the best choice in during the heat of summer. If you are going to work out then choose a moisture wicking material. There are many options available as moisture wicking technology has flourished in recent years. Finally, if you need to wear something stretchy, then opt for a moisture wicking blend, even if it has polyester. Typically is it best to avoid synthetic fabrics, but in the case of stretchy fabrics, a cotton blend is not the best bet.

Lucy on #23014

The best way to help reduce sweating with your clothing choices is to wear light, breathable fabrics with good ventilation. Lighter colors also help to reflect the sun rather than absorb it, so wearing white can help keep you cool and reduce sweat.

When this isn’t an option, choose dark colors or distracting patterns that hide the sweat. You can also layer your outfits so that the sweat isn’t visible on the outer layer. There are a few food choices you may want to avoid if you’re out to a business lunch or in a social situation where you’d rather not sweat. Definitely avoid spicy food. Our bodies react to spicy food in the same way they do to any other heat — they try to cool things down, which leads to sweating.

Marie Kelly on #25183

I have tried using undershirts made of modal. A bio-based fabric made from the pulp of beech trees. I have discovered that it is way better than cotton. Modal absorbs moisture and sweat and lock it in so the sweat doesn't get transferred to your top layer.
        Modal is great for sportswear, undershirts and underwear as the fabric is very breathable.
        It's also about 50% more absorbent than cotton. It helps to keep your skin feeling fresh and sweat-free.
        Undershirts or T-shirts made of Modal Fabric is the best choice when you have problems with excessive sweating.
        Definitely my new favorite fabric when choosing T-shirts, undershirts and underwear.

Andrea Singh on #27600

Usually when I am just at home, I prefer to wear cotton or linen made light colored loose shirts and pants.
        Natural fabrics like cotton and linen allow better airflow and absorb liquid better than many other fabrics.
        When going out or during work days, Antiperspirants is a must have. For the outfit, Aside from using lightweight blazer or sweater, I use Underarm sweat pads attached in my undershirts. I also stash some pads in my bag so I can replace and change anytime when needed.
        It’s convenient, easy to use and very helpful for me. You can buy these in Target or in Amazon.
        As for my hands, I use Antiperspirant wipes. Plus I always carry around handkerchief where I can wipe and dry my sweaty hands just in case the Antiperspirant’s effect wear off.

Scullen on #28692

Hi,

A piece of advice. As the weather changes, so does your wardrobe. I dress light when it’s hot, and bundle up when it’s cold. It doesn’t hurt to have a few wardrobe tricks up your sleeve to conceal and reduce sweating when it matters most.

I usually dress in light, breathable fabrics with ample ventilation. Dressing in lighter layers with more air flow keeps the heat down and reduces sweat build up. Look for materials like cotton and bamboo.

Sweat absorbing, sweat proof undershirts can also help hide embarrassing underarm sweat.
        Dark blues, blacks, dark colors and distracting patterns are excellent sweat-camouflage. Jackets, hoodies and sweatshirts are always useful in keeping sweat marks hidden.

But seriously, “dressing strategically” just isn’t fun.

Scullen

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Getting Dressed When You Have Hyperhidrosis (Excessive Sweating)
Your information:

Skip to toolbar