Hands Botox

Cindy on #7057

I received botox in my hands for severe HH 2 weeks ago. IT is working wonderfully but the muscle weakness is a huge problem. I can't use my pinky fingers to type, cannot grip a pen, grip a glass, use a pinching motion, squeeze toothpaste, peel a potato! I'm a chef so this is a disaster. I would love to know if this is permanent or temporary. Does anyone have any advice/experience?

Dr. Nowell on #7454

Yes, the injections have been linked to muscle weakness many times before and up to now. While botox is given in tiny injections on the palm and fingers and it contains a chemical that blocks the signal that causes sweat to be released, it also relaxes other muscles not related to sweating in the process. The bacterium can also sometimes travel to other parts of the body, where it can cause muscle weakness, vision problems, or trouble swallowing and breathing. And in a small percentage of the population, Botox simply won't work.

Muscle weakness is temporary. It's usually not a significant concern.

Jane on #7549

I have undergone two treatments and my hands sweat even more than before. Is it normal? I am getting a bit worried as my hands were bad before but now they seem to be even worse.

Claudia on #8069

I had them done three weeks ago. The doctor injects a numbing agent into my wrist first. If you have a lot of nerves it won't work at all. The pain was the most excruciating thing I've ever felt. The shots were torture. Twelve in the palms and two in each finger, the tips being the worst of it. Luckily the doctor worked fast.

They put gloves on you afterward to prevent infection. The pain was all worth it in the end. There was no noticeable result until after a full week. My hands are now the dry, but they still sweat excessively in the areas around where the injections didn't quite reach like the sides of my palms and the sides/backs of my fingers. I'm hoping to get better results when I get them redone in 6 months.

Robi Yen on #8300

I have hyperhidrosis. I don't know the cause but my mother also has it, and I believe I inherited it from her.

But just over two months ago, I had a $200, insurance-approved treatment that promised to put an end to the discomfort: I received approximately 40 Botox injections in each palm to block the nerves that activate the sweat glands.

It really changed my life. Botox has been used to treat hyperhidrosis for years, unknown to most people, as it is commonly used for cosmetic purposes. For excessive sweating, Botox blocks the neurotransmitters that signal sweat glands to overproduce moisture.

During the 30-minute Botox treatment I had, a light cryogen spray is used to numb my hand before the injections are administered. I was able to resume regular activities immediately after my treatment.

Vera Luz on #23940

Botox—often associated with cosmetic wrinkle reduction—is also a particularly effective treatment for focal hyperhidrosis. Botox injections use botulinum toxin to block the nerve signals responsible for sweating, stopping the sweat glands from producing too much sweat. Retreatment is typically needed in four to six months, as the nerves regenerate. Over time, however, patients can go longer between treatments. The injections are generally well tolerated by patients, and the treatment is very effective. The underarms, in particular, respond well. Sweat glands on the hands and feet also respond well to Botox injections, but patients tend to find the injections themselves more painful on the hands and feet because there are more nerve endings there.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Hands Botox
Your information:

Skip to toolbar