Iontophoresis – Should it hurt?

Posted In: Iontophoresis Forum

• Participant
        M on #4076

Hi! I've been using an iontophoresis machine for a while now. At first I did it at the hospital and it worked beautifully, the worst ‘pain' I had was a slight pins and needles feeling which was absolutely fine. But I recently got my own machine and I find that it really hurts, I'm not talking about a mild sensation, but a serious unbearable pain. I don't press too hard on the grill thing or anything like that and I also do not go excessively high (only enough so it works). I use bicarb as I find that works best for me, but is there any way I can reduce the pain without also reducing the effectiveness of it or am I doing something completely wrong?

Karen on #4213

I am not exactly sure why iontophoresis helps people with hyperhidrosis but it is believed that the procedure blocks sweat from coming out of the sweat glands, temporarily stopping sweating. Though it is most often used to treat excessive sweating, it may also be used to treat a variety of sports injuries. Adding anti-inflammatory medicines to the water during iontophoresis can ease the pain and other soft-tissue injuries. The electrical current helps the skin easily absorb the medications. Iontophoresis can be especially effective in reducing swelling around the joints and relieving pain. However, sprains or bursitis may respond well to this type of treatment.

Andi on #4504

What companies machine are you using? Is it direct current or pulsed current?

marianne on #5700

Hello!
        I have been using iontophoresis for a while now and I'm facing the same problem as you did! The treatment is really unbearable and it's leaving me with bruises even though I'm applying a large amount of petrolium jelly on chapped areas and areas touching the water level… It's like the machine chooses random points in my palms to hit.. and the bruises are so deep they stay for months.. Moreover, I start feeling the pain and discomfort when the electric current is as low as 3mA and the pain increases as I reach the 18mA or so which I keep for the whole session. The machine I used in the center (an older version of idrostar) before buying my own was much more bearable. Please let me know if you found a solution because iontophoresis isthe only treatment that worked for me but I can't endure this much pain. Thank you.

Daniel G on #8671

I have a problem of hyperhidrosis in hands and feet and I used iontophoresis for 2 years and 3 months until I discovered it was causing me discomfort in my down part. I believed that the discomfort was because an infection (UTI) and I went to ser the urologist, he did find an infection and gave treatment of antibiotics and stuff. When I was cured, I performed the iontophoresis therapy again and then was when I confirmed that this was causing me the discomfort. Now Iā€™m stopping of using iontophoresis ever again and Iā€™m very confused because everywhere is believed that the iontophoresis is safe. But not for me!

Jennifer on #8800

I have used Hidrex, pricey but worth it. I would say that during the treatment you may experience a discomfort on your skin but it should not hurt. I did not feel any pain, it is just not totally comfortable. You should also not feel any untoward side effects following treatment. And if you do the treatments correctly and after about twelve treatments, about ten to twenty minutes per session (yes, it requires time and dedication), you can see significantly less sweating on the treated areas. I have read that most patients experience a clear improvement in quality of life after the treatment.

Denisss on #9008

I still use electro antiperspirant device since 2017. My model is pulse current, very effective, the name is ELITE. I get really satisfied effects, no side effects no discomfort, only light tingling during the therapy even using stronger power. This is automatic device so, treatment is very comfortable. I accidentally flooded it with water but it still works.

Regarding my results – 6 months, but still believe that i can get better effects šŸ™‚

Claudia on #9095

I see next lucky owner of electro antiperspirant šŸ™‚ I proud that I changed the way of the treatment using something new for me. My husband told me how it works and it bought me first device, then I bought second machine – exactly electro antiperspirant. Small thing but it makes me very happy for looong time. No even little pain, even for my very sensitive feet šŸ™‚

Daniel on #9697

To answer the question, iontophoresis is not painful. What you are going to feel is just a tingling or warmth at the treatment area. If you feel any significant discomfort during the procedure, you should notify your doctor immediately.

Iontophoresis can take as little as a couple of treatments to work. Most people see desired results after two weeks of treatment. If your case is severe, it may take about four weeks.

The process of iontophoresis must be performed twice daily for three to four weeks. The results will last for several weeks before the procedure needs to be repeated. You may complete the treatment at home, you just have to buy the device, which I believe is available at Amazon.

Nav K on #14288

Hey, I am experiencing the same thing. The highest current I have been able to go up to is 5Amps so far because anything more than that and the pain becomes unbearable. It is excessively uncomfortable to begin with. I am wondering if I am doing something completely incorrect as well. Would appreciate any feedback anybody might have.

Jennifer Smith on #28024

No. It doesn't hurt. Iontophoresis is a painless procedure unless you set an unbearable amount of current that can cause skin injury or serious burn. During the procedure you might experience a mild tingling sensation due to the electrical current.
        Some might experience side effects, but these side effects usually aren't serious. Most common side effects are, dryness or cracked skin, redness of the treated skin, and small blisters.
        It is safer to not do it at home by yourself without the proper guidance of a doctor or expert. Make sure that you consult with them first before trying this procedure.

Viewing 10 reply threads
Reply To: Iontophoresis – Should it hurt?
Your information:

Skip to toolbar