Iontophoresis treatment

Posted In: Iontophoresis Forum

dan on #3408

I have sweaty palms and feet. My plan is to go for Iontophoresis treatment. As some of us might have read, Iontophoresis treatment needs to be done everyday during the initial period. Anyone have any idea about this kind of treatment? For me, surgery is a tad bit overkill.

Marissa Collins on #3634

Dan, Sweating is normal. But Hyperhidrosis, severe or excessive sweating is not. Iontophoresis might be a solution for your sweating problem.

Hannah Sue on #3658

Hi Dan,

Iontophoresis is a very effective treatment for excessive sweating of the hands (palmar hyperhidrosis) and feet (plantar hyperhidrosis), and pads are now available for armpits (axillary hyperhidrosis) as well. It has been used to treat uncontrollable, excessive sweating on the hands and feet since the 1940s. It's particularly useful for people who've tried prescription or clinical strength antiperspirants, but have found that they need a stronger treatment. For people with hyperhidrosis of the hands and/or feet, iontophoresis treatments can dramatically decrease sweating.
        During iontophoresis procedure, a medical device is used to pass a mild electrical current through water and through the skin's surface. There are no significant or serious side effects and the benefits are long-term. You just need to keep up with the maintenance schedule your doctor recommends which is usually once per week.

Hannah

Jessica on #3773

Iontophoresis is a process in which an electrical current is passed through skin soaked in tap water or normal saline (0.9%), allowing ionised (charged) particles to cross the normal skin barrier. It decreases sweating and improves the delivery of drugs and macromolecules into and through the skin. It is safe, helpful and economical. The main use of iontophoresis is to treat crucial areas of too much sweating, particularly on the palms or soles. Tap water iontophoresis is less efficient in the axilla (armpit). Some studies suggested that up to 80-85% of patients with palmar hyperhidrosis notice subjective improvement in their symptoms within 2–4 weeks.

Dan on #3840

Thanks, I had tried the treatment and the sessions last 25 to 45 minutes. I had experience side effects such as dryness of the skin, blistering, peeling, and irritation. I am applying moisturizer to my skin after each session. I am also applying a small amount of petroleum jelly to any cuts on my skin before beginning a session. I am also adding a teaspoon of baking soda to the water beforehand. I have read that this will regulate the pH level of the water and help ensure that the treatment is effective.

-Dan

Sandy on #4002

Hi Dan,
        Iontophoresis involves passing a low electrical current through the skin. It is used to treat excessive sweating of the hands, underarms, and feet.
        The treatment lasts about 30 minutes and requires several sessions per week. The area to be treated is placed into water. A gentle current of electricity passes through the water. A technician carefully and gradually increases the electrical current until you feel a light tingling sensation. It is thought that the process somehow plugs the sweat glands and temporarily prevents you from sweating.
        The side effects of the treatment are rare, but may include skin irritation, dryness and blistering. Some people do the treatment at home.
        Hope this helps.
        -Sandy

Isaac Sall on #4060

Dan,

If you have excessive sweating which has failed to respond to treatments such as strong or normal antiperspirants, then you might consider asking a dermatologist. The dermatologist can prescribe a number of treatments which include iontophoresis. This is particularly useful at treating excessive sweating of the hands and feet and possibly the armpits although it is less effective in the latter case.
        Iontophoresis treatment involves the immersion of your hands or feet in two bowls of tap water. Each bowl has a conductor which means that one bowl is considered negatively charged and the other is positively charged.
        If you suffer from excessive sweating of the armpits, or axillary hyperhidrosis, then a wet contact pad will be placed around your armpits. A device produces an electrical current through the water which causes minerals in the water to block the sweat glands and so preventing excessive sweating.
        This is not painful but many people experience a prickling feeling and possible skin irritation as a result. It is only likely to be painful for people with a cut or graze. Each session lasts for around 30 minutes. The dermatologist will require you to go 2 to 4 sessions in a week and should notice an improvement in your condition after 4 sessions or more.
        It has proven to be an effective form of treatment in 80 to 90% of cases but requires top-ups on a regular basis in order to prevent any recurrence of your condition.
        Examples of iontophoresis devices are ‘Drionic’, the ‘R.A Fischer MD-1a’and ‘Idrostar’.

Isaac

• Participant
        M on #4074

Hi Dan!

I have been using an iontophoresis machine for a while now and I have discovered (I have absolutely no idea why this works) but regularity helps a lot. I will usually do the treatment in the morning and I find that if I do it at any other time of day it just doesn't work as well, sure it works but not completely like it does in the morning. I also first did the treatment in a hospital (so I could learn how to do it properly first before buying my own machine), my hands were 100% dry! They did it in a strange pattern of days and said that it was proven the most effective, well it sure was! For this to work it's best if you leave a 2 week gap of not using the machine and then start this pattern:

Week 1: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
        Week 2: Monday, Thursday
        Week 3: Tuesday
        Week 4: Tuesday

After this period of time you should notice a big difference in your daily life and you should use the machine when you start to feel clammy again! If you don't then the water in your area might be too soft so try adding 2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda into the water.

• Participant
        M on #4075

Hi Dan!

I have found that regularity really helps when using iontophoresis. I always do it in the morning because for some unknown reason any other time of the day just doesn't work the same for me. When I first did it in a hospital so I could learn how to do it properly, they did an unusual pattern that obviously worked as I am 100% dry. It's best to not use the machine for 2 weeks before starting this pattern as it ‘refreshes' the process so to speak.

Week 1: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
        Week 2: Monday, Thursday
        Week 3: Tuesday
        Week 4: Tuesday

You should notice a big change in your daily life! If not then dry adding 2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda into your water, this is because you might live in a soft water area.

Kinga on #4285

Hello all!

Do you know websites where people can offer Iontophoresis treatment without buying the product? I already have it, but i am going to have holidays, 3 weeks and i cant bring it with me, and after 1,5 week without the iontophoresis the sweating is coming back. I am searching in Miami, Florida.
        Thank you for every answer.

Viewing 9 reply threads
Reply To: Iontophoresis treatment
Your information:

Skip to toolbar