Is hyperhidrosis surgery safe?

Stan M on #8519

I am wondering if it is still safe to undergo surgery despite when risks I am reading online. They said that if other treatments fail to bring relief, surgery may be considered. Surgery is permanent and carries risks. ETS is the most common surgery for hyperhidrosis. This is major surgery, which a surgeon performs in an operating room. The surgeon will cut or destroy certain nerves. To find these nerves, the surgeon inserts a mini surgical camera into the patient’s chest just beneath the underarm. The patient’s lung must be temporarily collapsed so that the surgeon can cut or destroy nerves. Permanent side effects occur. Loss of feeling in the underarm and scarring are mentioned possible.

Barry S on #8685

ETS they say is a permanent solution to hyperhidrosis, but I will tell you, I regret the moment I decided to undergo with this surgery. I was sweat-free for one week post-surgery. After that is a nightmare. I experienced ghost sweat. It felt like I'm sweating but there’s no moisture. Then I actually started to sweat. So I went back to the doctor to ask him what was wrong. Then he told me about compensatory sweating, or when you sweat profusely from areas of your body previously unaffected by hyperhidrosis. It got even worst each passing days. The operation also made my face alter between dry and oily. I also felt like my metabolism slowed drastically after hyperhidrosis surgery. I no longer digesting food as quickly as before and I gained weight.

Eddie Hall on #9050

Hyperhidrosis surgery is very effective at stopping sweating of the hands in over 95% of cases. And to answer your question, ETS is a safe operation and usually no problems are encountered. It is usually performed on the hands, feet, head, and underarms. As with any operation, problems can occur and there is a small risk of injury inside the chest. If there is air coming out of the lung or bleeding it may be necessary to insert a drainage tube into the chest for a day or two. Very rarely it may be necessary to do an operation on the chest to deal with any problems.

Kevin Steven on #9179

Being the last resort for hyperhidrosis, ETS, I believe it is not really safe as it comes with significant risks. In fact, most physicians do not recommend ETS surgery because of the serious negative side effects of the procedure. Side effects and complications range from extreme hypertension, heat intolerance, arrhythmia and, in extreme cases, death. Bleeding during and following the operation may be significant in up to 5% of patients. While the procedure ends perspiration in key areas, it may result in compensatory sweating to other areas of the body. Also it really costs a lot of money, ranging between $10,000-$20,000 not including anesthesia and medications after procedure.

Mario on #9237

I had the surgery 18 years ago. My PULMONARY DOCTOR went in and cut that sympathetic nerve. Prior to the surgery I was sweating profusely under my arms and from my hands. It was like a
        faucet running non-stop. The operation made my face alter between dry and oily. As a result, I got acne for the first time. As for the sweating, it just stops within a day. Now I can wear red tops, shake hands and be more outgoing. For me it was nothing less than a MIRACLE SURGERY. My face which altered between dry and oily are now returned to normal.

Chloe on #9381

I got ETS surgery and it was amazing. I had little to no compensatory sweating, my hands were actually dry, and my feet even somehow were more dry. This last winter it started to come back in my hands a bit and now my compensatory sweating is absolutely awful when it is hot out. Also one effect that has happened and still does is that I start to sweat from my face pretty bad when I eat spicy food which is sad for me because I love it. I would say it was safe.

Alisa on #9799

A lot of people just don’t do the surgery because it’s so risky and it is considered the last resort.

I undergone the surgery and from what I remember, when I emerged out of the operating room, I was completely disoriented. I couldn’t even remember why I was there. I believe any surgery would end like this because of the anesthesia. But that night, I had to prop myself up with pillows because of how sore, stiff and uncomfortable I was.

My hands are dry now but I now suffer from compensatory sweating, an unavoidable side-effect, which can run from mild to severe sweating on the abdomen, back, butt, face, feet and/or thighs.

Naiomi on #9771

You should only consider surgery if other treatments fail to bring relief. Surgery is permanent but it carries risks.

Sympathectomy is one surgery used to treat hyperhidrosis. This is major surgery, which a surgeon performs in an operating room.

During sympathectomy, the surgeon tries to stop the nerve signals that your body sends to the sweat glands. To do this, the surgeon will cut or destroy certain nerves. To find these nerves, the surgeon inserts a mini surgical camera into the patient’s chest just beneath the underarm. The patient’s lung must be temporarily collapsed so that the surgeon can cut or destroy nerves.

Jenny on #9972

All surgeries, not just hyperhidrosis surgery, has some risks. We cannot say they are totally safe

Heaven on #10259

Surgery, being the last resort for every illness, is not considered completely safe. It carries lot of risks. So you may want to try other alternatives before jumping on to surgeries.

There are lots of alternative solution to excessive sweating problems that are not as risky as hyperhidrosis surgery. Try alternative treatments such as sage teas, have a balanced diet or use an antiperspirant.

Hydee on #10450

My first reaction to ETS surgery was ghost sweat, where you feel like you’re sweating, but there’s no actual moisture.

Not soon after, I began to actually sweat from a very defined area on my torso, front and back. I was as dry as a desert from the neck up, but swampy wet from my chest to my belly button. I went back to the doctor to see what was wrong. That’s when he told me about compensatory sweating, or profuse sweating from areas of your body previously unaffected by hyperhidrosis.

My sweat continued to worsen. Soon, I had to wear 2-3 undershirts daily to contain my chest and back sweat and suddenly began sweating on my left shoulder blade.

My doctor blamed my excess sweating on the heat. But I knew it was more than that. The next time I returned, I was sweating through 5 shirts a day.

Toni Yu on #11819

If other treatments fail to bring relief, surgery is considered. However, surgery carries risks. Sympathectomy is one surgery used to treat hyperhidrosis. This is major surgery, which a surgeon performs in an operating room.

Permanent side effects can occur. Loss of feeling in the underarm and scarring are possible. Some patients develop a condition known as compensatory sweating. For some people, this causes them to sweat more heavily than did the hyperhidrosis.

Other possible side effects from sympathectomy include damage to the nerves that run between the brain and eyes, extremely low blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, and inability to tolerate heat. Patients have died during this surgery.

Viewing 11 reply threads
Reply To: Is hyperhidrosis surgery safe?
Your information:

Skip to toolbar