Laser Sweat Ablation (LSA) absolutely works!

• Participant
        Hannah Lee on #4380

Hi everyone!

I only just found this community and I wanted to share my surgery story for those of you who are struggling with axillary hyperhidrosis.

I had suffered with hyperhidrosis (triple threat: axillary, palmar, plantar) since I could ever remember and I had tried so many different things to no avail. I resorted to taping cotton pads with tape onto my underarms during school and would come home to take them off and my skin would be scratched and cut from the sticky tape. I even tried iontophoresis for my hands and feet but couldn't get it to work unfortunately.

Finally, one of my relatives in Korea found a clinic that offered LSA surgery and I ended up flying all the way out there to get it done. I was still unsure about whether it would lead to compensatory sweating because I heard about the many side effects of ETS but I just went for it.

Basically they had a 2-step approach by

1. lasering the apocrine sweat glands and
        2. suctioning off the remainder.

However, the surgeon assured me that there wouldn't be any compensatory sweating as they would leave some sweat glands so that I could regulate my body temperature and sweat normally when it was hot or while exercising.

I was awake during the procedure but with just local anaesthetic so it wasn't painful at all. The incision was about 1cm (it has faded significantly now but it is visible if you know its there and look for it).
        Post-surgery I had to be monitored for 2 hours and went home with huge bandages around my arms. After the meds wore off the pain was minimal to none if I remember correctly and it was mainly just uncomfortable to eat as I couldn't lift up my arms. Went back to the hospital to check-up after a couple days and they replaced my bandages to smaller more comfortable ones and started to help me stretch the skin under my arms and regain movement.
        I clearly remember the skin feeling tight but no pain at all. I just had to continue doing small exercises to help heal the skin to the tissue underneath that had a layer lasered off (I know, sounds gross).

Apart from a couple routine visits to the hospital to check the incision point and the skin around it, there was no real hassle and recovery went very smoothly.

The cost of it was ~$2000 converted from WON to AUD but I am not sure about prices in other countries. I've heard botox prices are pretty comparable but they only last months whereas, I probably won't have to get this surgery ever again. Completely worth it to me.

I know a lot of people are against invasive procedures but I was so sick and tired of being anxiety-ridden and depressed because of this stupid condition that if there was any chance it was going to give me relief, I was going for it.

I am now dry under my arms every day unless its the middle of summer. I finally feel like I sweat like a normal human being now!!!!

I still struggle with sweating on my hands and feet but just getting rid of one source of the sweat has relieved my anxiety so much. I used to think I was never going to get a boyfriend or get a job but things are looking up for me now. I have resulting social anxiety from all the years of dealing with it but maybe one day I'll have dry hands and I'll keep getting better and better.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone out there. Unfortunately, I've found that its not a well known procedure and the less desirable ETS is more popular (???).

Jennifer Cooper on #4425

What a bummer! I was just in Korea 5 months ago! Thank you for sharing your story! Do they have any information on how the procedure goes for your hands? I've gotten my underarms to a point where I can hide it and my shirt isn't soaked, but I get so frustrated with using my smart phone a lot of keys won't work for me and when I do anything with tape, the tape loses its stickiness because of my moist hands. My husband and son don't like holding my hands and I'd like to have a job as a nurse one day and don't ever want to make a patient uncomfortable because my hands are sweaty.

Matt on #7061

Im wondering the same thing. I have sweaty hands and feat. My armpits aren't that bad, my feet are tolerable, but my hands are the worst. They drip sweat so i have to were cotton gloves even while im typing this. Im 17 years old and have had hyperhidrosis for as long as I can remember. Around the start of 9th grade i got the iontophoresis device. It didn't help me at all.(Well maybe a little bit) I was looking into ETS surgery and found a bunch of horror stories about compensatory sweating.(Sweating in other areas of my body) I want something Permanent that I wont regret and this laser treatment sounds pretty safe. If anyone is reading this please keep me updated on it. Thanks.

-yohan on #6769

Hi,

I have a really bad problem with sweating, the boy I fancy, my best friend, and my teachers have all noticed it because our school uniform is red and the sweat really stands out. I dread going to school now and I can't forget about it because everyone points it out. I've recently turned 17, and I have had this problem (Hyperhidrosis) for just about seven years. I've hated it every single day. I'm taking some natural treatments and it helps a teeny tiny bit. I honestly don't know how I've lasted this long. Growing up they told me I'd grow out of it. I'm still waiting. Maybe this time next year, when I'll be 18, I can go out and enjoy my life not having this horrible thing!

Zee on #6965

Hi all,

Ive had HH for more than a decade now. ive just recently woken up to the fact that there are treatments like the laser ablation treatment which are minimally invasive and extremely effective.

The embarrassment and awkwardness ive had in all this while have more or less moulded my social life (to not having one) and wardrobe (mostly blacks). Im at a point where im quite desperate to not let this control my life anymore.

I have already consulted with the physician in Pune(India) who would conduct the procedure. The laser ablation treatment sounds too good to be true, and that has caused me to be wary. we might be the perfect victims for medical professionals to target for their own commercial interests.

The lack of options and the level of desperation im at, have led me to decide to go ahead with it nonetheless.

I had some questions for people who have already undergone this procedure so i can have some more clarity and confidence going into this –
        1. Is there any form of compensatory sweating in any other parts of the body?
        2. does the procedure cause any visible scarring?
        3. how many days does it take for a full recovery, and what side effects could i expect during recovery?

This is the first time ive ever expressed to anyone about my Hyperhidrosis, and it feels amazing to connect with fellow sufferers of this awkward and embarrassing condition.

Im looking forward to hearing back from the forum and hopefully to a full and fast recovery post procedure 🙂

Mario MOTHERSIL on #7320

I have a sweating problem in the upper torso area, just below my nipple area all around front and back. I had the sympathectomy performed and want more info on your procedure using your method…

Jane Allen on #25680

Sweat gland ablation is very mildly invasive. For this reason, it is safer for many people. The doctor will make a very very tiny incision in your underarm and a hollow tube will be inserted into the incision. Inside the hollow tube is a tiny laser fiber that delivers laser light that destroys the sweat glands.
        The procedure would take less than an hour and complete healing normally takes a couple of weeks.
        Laser sweat gland ablation is very effective. Its effect is longer lasting compared to other more popular treatments like Botox.
        You will stay awake during the procedure, but local anesthesia will be administered so you won't feel any pain.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Laser Sweat Ablation (LSA) absolutely works!
Your information:

Skip to toolbar