How Much Does Surgery Cost for Hyperhidrosis?

Jerry Bells on #3628

I am suffering from excessive armpit sweating. I fear that my parents wont be able to pay for the treatment or surgery. How much does treatment or surgery usually cost? and does insurance pay for it?

Robert Warldlow on #3688

You may want to consider miraDry. It is less invasive and less expensive. The Miradry system works well for axillary hyperhidrosis and armpit sweating. The procedure is performed in an outpatient setting. It destroys sweat glands using microwave technology. Patients typically have a greater than 90% reduction with just one treatment. The cost is around $2000. A small percentage of patients will need a second treatment, and a very small percentage will not respond. miraDry is a game-changer in the field of axillary hyperhidrosis. I am not sure if it will be covered by insurance. Just contact your insurance provider.

Tim on #3723

Excessive sweating affects the armpits, palms, feet and sometimes all over the body. The body’s sweat glands produce sweat in response to nerve signals. High temperatures, spicy food, and stress all trigger sweat production. For the 1% of the population affected by hyperhidrosis the triggers cause excessive sweating. For excessive underarm sweating I would say that the easiest treatment is Botox. A single $1100 treatment to both underarms will reduce sweat production by an average of 83.5% and last on average for 8 months. The cost of other areas needs to be assessed at the time of consultation but the forehead area costs less and the palms would be more.

Eli on #3818

One method for treatment is Botox. The cost of Botox for the treatment of hyperhidrosis can vary widely. The longevity of the process depends on the severity of the condition and the number of units of Botox that need to be used. It is likely to cost you around £1000 for treatment privately on your underarms in the UK. Insurers may require you to try other treatment methods prior to using Botox for hyperhidrosis. Antiperspirants are often suggested as a starting point for treatment, but many people suffer from cases of excessive sweating that cannot be controlled with an antiperspirant. People who try Botox for their excessive sweating will see a significant reduction in sweating in just a few days.

Bob Won on #3912

Excess sweating is a common problem. Although many treatments have been proposed, they have the disadvantage of invasive surgery, complex and risky surgery such as sympathectomy and scarring. Botox has also been used with some success, but this is very costly, requires a lot of botulinum toxin, and must be repeated when it wears off. In my clinic, we offer Precision Tx sweat gland ablation with the 1440 nm computer-controlled laser from Cynosure. In a single treatment, this method reduces sweating of up to 80%, allowing patients relief from excessive sweating concerns. This is an in-office procedure done under local anesthetic and it takes about an hour, has little down-time or post-op discomfort, and costs about $3,000.

Andy on #3930

I am also getting ETS surgery for facial blushing. I have heard it cost just over $15,000. But it all depends what insurance you have and on the type of procedure and the specific type of coverage from your health insurance provider. The procedure is often more affordable than most people think! Most of the insurance companies do cover the cost of surgery (ETS, ELS). In the US the current situation with insurance companies is evolving. Each case and its coverage should be discussed on an individual basis because of the complexities of the subject. Mine covers 80% all medical surgeries.

Man2373 on #3997

I have always had a problem with underarm sweating especially on hot days, stressful conditions or when I got anxious, until I undergone hyperhidrosis treatment. The whole procedure took a little bit over 1 hour. The only discomfort I felt was when I had to lay down for 20 minutes with my arms up and corn starch on my arm pits. I called it “death arms”. Everything was done in the office with local anesthesia. I was able to go home to my normal activities, and two small kids, right after having the procedure.
        But now, over a year after surgery and it feels like I never had done anything. Sweating is back just like it was before. Actually it started slowly few months after first procedure. I come back to doctor and did it again. I sweat few days after second procedure. Basically I lost thousands of dollars.

Shane on #4211

I have been afflicted with excessive sweating of the hands and feet since I was 18. The result has been that I found myself more and more socially remoted. I tried everything from cold baths to powders and gels but no results. A few years back someone mentioned iontophoresis therapy to me. Reading about this therapy convinced me that it would be painless, and it really was! I am now into my third year of therapy with my Idromed iontophoresis device and my hands and feet are now completely dry. I never thought that this could happen. I am no longer afraid of situations where I will have to shake hands with people and I no longer have to change socks at least three times a day! I did not want to have ets surgery and I can recommend Iontophoresis to anyone suffering from Hyperhidrosis.

• Participant
        JR31 on #4248

Very pleased for you Shane, an excellent outcome. 🙂

Wish had been told by the NHS (England) about iontophoresis, would never have had ETS. 🙁

My advice to anyone; avoid ETS no matter what.

John Wildman on #4362

I'm a 21 year old medical student. I have severe palmar hyperhidrosis. As a medical student,this condition is a massive hindrance to the entire practical side of medicine(with and without gloves) which as you know is a major portion of the MBBS degree. I have spent 2 years in medical school, but am now on a leave of absence for one academic year. Since the start of medical school, I have been through basically every treatment available for palmar hyperhidrosis: Iontophoresis, botox injections, anticholinergic tablets, prescription antiperspirants. All treatments tried have been useless or had very little success-in the case of iontophoresis, after using correctly for 2 months straight. I really do not want to leave the field of medicine due to this uncontrollable flaw. I have thoroughly researched a surgery that severs the sympathetic ganglion at about T2/T3, that can put a stop to my problem. I understand the possible side effects with this surgery and I'm very much comfortable with them. It will be invaluable to know the price range.

Jane on #5149

Sweating treatments have varying costs. It depends on the overall skin condition and a few other factors.

Typically a laser armpit sweating treatment costs approximately $3000, the amount is subject to variation depending on the treatment area size. Private clinic may charge up to $ 4400 including the consultation and the surgery cost.

However, laser armpit sweating treatment does not assure 100% success rates. Some clinics which offer laser treatment follow the policy of redoing the surgery and of course not at the initial price but comparatively at a lower price just sufficient to cover the costs of the equipment used thus make the treatment available at a minimal cost for the second visit in case the first failed to give satisfactory results.

Jason on #5285

Mine was about $ 1000. But I traveled for mine. My wife was getting boob job in Czech republic and we found out, that the clinic she was going to, did Hyperhidrosis surgery too. I spoke to the doctor at Formé clinic before flying there and I'm happy I did. We arranged my surgery with my wife's book job so we both saved and also has a nice holiday in Prague before laying on the operation table.

Jojo on #5484

Try Botox. The cost depends on the cost per unit in each office. Botox ranges from 10-15 dollars per unit in my area. Using botox for palmar hyperhidrosis is an effective way to decrease sweating. The botox prevents the nerves from telling the sweat glands to secrete sweat. Each palm will need 50 to 100 units depending on the size.

James on #5764

Instead of undergoing surgery, which is really painful after the procedure, why not try Iontophoresis device? I tried Iontoderma id-1000 and it really works.

Brayden Marco on #5881

I suffered this problem for my entire life and endured embarrassing situations. My palms were so wet. My underarms are continually sweat and smelly after a short period of time. Although surgery for hyperhidrosis is relatively simple, as with all operations, it still carries some risk. Patients undergo the procedure at a world-renowned hospital that provides safe, high-quality care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty of medicine and surgery. The operation requires general anesthesia, and two 5 millimeter incisions on each side. Most patients leave the hospital in under 24 hours and their recovery is generally complete within two weeks.

Greyson Junner on #5972

I am a 18 year old boy who suffers from excessive armpit sweating I sweat to the point where it will soak my shirt all the way down my side and drip down my arms even when I am cold I sweat it is literally ruining my life. But I fear that my parents won’t be able to pay for the treatment or surgery. They say that it will depend on the treatment area and how much of the injection is required. Side effects will be minor. Sometimes, individuals see results lasting longer, but this is usually due to the fact that muscles have been trained.

melissa on #6040

I have a really big problem with sweating. My hands, feet and armpit sweats a lot and ALL THE TIME! It is really embarrassing. I can't even wear sandals, can't wear shirts that i like because of this problem. When i was in school i would get my homework all wet, people would ask me why would i sweat a lot? IT'S EMBARRASSING! I have resorted to wearing big clothing to stop the sweat. It is also a trouble at work, where I must wear a white shirt I have considered quitting and getting a job where a uniform is not necessary, however I am still asked frequently why I wear big clothes. I have tried all the strong anti-perspirants on the market and they have no effect. I was wondering whether the surgery would be suitable.PLEASE I would hope that they would at least lower the price for all those patients who are still considering doing this.

zuck on #6720

-hi,
        Every morning I used to stress out over what to wear, everyone who has this problem knows how it is I assume! It was horrible. This sweating business is slowly ruining my life. Since I’ve noticed it being so bad I feel like it’s gotten worse, and because I have really bad nerves I presume that’s why it’s getting worse? Every time I feel hot, I constantly think to myself. .’’Am I sweating, oh god I’m getting even hotter’’ and it gets worse and worse. So now I restrict myself to go out, I just stay indoors most of the time. When I do on the other hand I wear the most stupidest tops even if it’s raining and just feel like an idiot, I thought I was the only one who had this problem but clearly not.. So to cut the story short, I don’t have much time to find something affective, no botox no surgery and no strange sweat pads. Please help 🙁

Viewing 17 reply threads
Reply To: How Much Does Surgery Cost for Hyperhidrosis?
Your information:

Skip to toolbar