Smelly Feet

Posted In: Hyperhidrosis Forum

Linda on #5098

Hi Everybody!

Since 3-4 years ago, i started to develop sweaty feet. In the beginning I didn't really notice until the odor started to smell… And it's such a horrible odor. It's difficult to describe but it's just pungent. It doesn't really smell as usual “foot odor” but it makes the air around me just incredibly pungent and prickly, even I have issues with my feet in small room with no window.
        As you can imagine I went from an overly social uni girl to a quiet shell at work. Thanks god, I was able to work 2 days a week from home as it was a consultancy agency but even then, the odor is really socially crippling. I've found ways to balance this in my own private life (only meeting up with friends outside etc) but I just find it so incredibly time and energy consuming.

I went ahead with surgery – lumbar sympathetomy – and while it did decrease sweat in my right feet, my left feet still sweat a lot, so the odor ensues. I feel the odor has becoming stronger/more pungent during the years.
        Now I'm trying iontophoresis with glycopyronium bromide in the water, and am gonna see what it's gonna give. At same time, every night I cover my feet with 40% urea so to make sure any dead skin is removed and before/after I go to sleep/wake up I wash my feet with Hibiclens.
        At times I would also apply Fucidin 2% cream to focus on the bad bacterias but I haven't really seen a change tbh.

Does this story sound similar to anyone? How are you dealing with it? What methods do work you?
        I'm so looking forward Miradry for feet, they're a bit delayed I guess, normally by 2017 the product was supposed to be me on the market. I hope we'll hear more by end of year or begin 2018.

kumar on #5356

I can totally relate to u always wearing shoes is my shield then my feet dont sweat in socks.
        You are saying that even after operation you still have it in your left feet
        Do share any hacks or diet changes that works.

Linda123 on #5677

First and foremost go to a dermatologist/podologist and figure out the true cause of the issue. Is the odor due to bacterial overgrowth, oversweating or fungi? Perhaps a combination of all three?

Nonetheless here are some tips to eliminate odor:

General:
          Socks: Wear only merino wool socks or other very good drywicking socks. It's more expensive but scientifically proven to absorb more sweat than cotton, wool or anything else out there. Always wash socks and linens at 60 degrees to ensure all bacterias are eliminated.
          Shoes: Wear geox shoes, or make sure the material is breathable like leather shoes. Atleast deinfect once a week with 70% alcohol that you spray inside the shoes. Also make sure you to never same shoes without letting it dry a day minimum.
          Insoles: Use cedar wooden soles. It's the best insoles out there as its also antibacterial.
          Hygiene: Wash feet twice a day with Hibiscrub. (antibacterial soap with chlorexhidine thats active against bacterias hours after washing)
          Extra: For a whole month have zinc pills 50 mg/day. And as powder in the shoes either you can use zinc oxide powder (this is the main ingredient of On your toes product, but way cheaper) or boric acid powder (though be careful to not inhale nor ingest as not super healthy for you). Drink black thee once a day.

Then ask yourself if this is a bacterial overgrowth, fungus or sweat problem. Best to always check with a dermatologist!!

Bacterial overgrowth: If you have pits and there's odor likely you have pitted keratolyse. Sometimes you can have it without the pits though affected with the odor. For 1 month 3 times a day use fucidin lotion and always change socks with every application. Have erothrymycin pills prescribed for 2 weeks at same time.
          Sometimes anti acne lotion can help such as clindamycine or benzac 10% helps . The bacterias causing zits can sometimes be same bacetrias causing smell.

Fungus: Check for topical antifungus like clotrimazole and lower sugar intake.

Sweat: Apply strong anti perpirant (15โ€“20% aluminium chloride). If no help check iontophoresis with glycopyronium bromide (this is a pill you crush into the tray per feet to strengten the drywicking results). Last solution is a surgery but only if you have plantar hyperhidrosis (it's called lumbar sympathetomy). In a couple of years maybe 2-3 years likely Miradry for feet would be on the market. Also interesting.

For most people above rules should help. If none, check use of probiotic liquid on feet before sleeping and taking probiotic pills. Not sure on research of this but the idea is inoculating your feet with “good non smelly bacteria”. If not there's a new product on the market, Lume it's called, though not tried yet. The thing why I find it interesting is that it claims to alter the process where the bacterias “eats dead skin and farts” the bad odor.

Does anybody have pungent feet odor? So not cheesy, not vinegary… just immensely pungent odor? This is what I have and unfortunately no solution yet.

Elila on #5422

Anyone can develop smelly feet any time of the year. I suggest you to use talcum powder for your feet, like Fissan. If you donโ€™t have talcum powder, you can use a good quality antiperspirant on your feet to keep them dry for a longer period of time.

There are also many other easy and simple home treatments for foot odor. Vinegar is also beneficial in getting rid of smelly feet as it creates an acidic environment in which bacteria cannot survive. You can use any type of vinegar, especially apple cider vinegar for this home remedy.

Abril on #5483

Try alternative treatment. This is what I am doing: Once you have cleaned your feet and dried them, you can apply powders, such as baking soda, cornstarch or arrowroot powder because they can absorb extra moisture. Antifungal foot powders are great and can be made right at home with just a few ingredients. In fact, you can try my Homemade Antifungal Powder for Stinky Feet + Toenail Fungus.

You can even add essential oils, like tea tree oil, which is antifungal.

akshay ortho on #5944

Suffering from plantar fasciitis for over a year made shopping for shoe a difficult task. I had read about orthofeet and thought I would take a gamble. They are by far the BEST shoe for me. I had cleared my pain up over the winter months and was ready to get back into my walking routine. I bought my orthofeet shoes and absolutely LOVE them. Can walk three miles and have no pain afterwards. My walking shoes have turned into my working shoes. I will order another pair as soon as I have time to look and decide. Currently own the boot and now the walking so the third pair will be a charm!

Premil on #6038

HII
        Anyone can get sweaty feet, regardless of the temperature or time of year, smelly feet aren't fun for anyone.feet become smelly if sweat soaks into shoes and they don't dry before you wear them again.feet become smelly if sweat soaks into shoes and they don't dry before you wear them again.
        The good news is that there's a simple, quick, sure-fire solution to smelly feet. Wash your feet with an anti-bacterial soap . There are lots of over-the-counter foot hygiene products at your local chemist, choose which is the best one for you. Apply it and Leave on for a couple of minutes, then wash it off.”if you do this twice a day, you'll definitely banish smelly feet within a week.”

lucy on #6134

hello
        smelly feet is really embarrassing! especially during hot days it cause us to sweat a lot nevertheless it cause smelly odor . Year past by, i maintained alternative treatment which i had found out in the internet also , if you are wondering what kind of alternative treatment it is , don't hesitate to ask and message me. willing to help

goodluck.

AUBREY ALIGUYON on #6167

Hi Lucy what may your alternative treatment entail? I still have pungent foor odor ๐Ÿ™

AUBREY ALIGUYON on #6166

Hi Lucy, what would this be? I still have pungent foot odor unfortunately. ๐Ÿ™

jomarie on #6199

Smelly feet sucks! this is what i feel every time my feet sweats a lot ,considering the fact that it was really embarrassing when taking off my shoes and it really produce bad odour that catches the attention of my colleagues.I have tried almost every treatment that i thinks that might help my condition but nothing works for me. I feel like i want to give up and want to try some treatments, can you recommend some treatment for me?

arthur on #6717

-hi,
        Hi, I'm a 15 year old male. & I can't do anything without constantly sweating on my face, armpits ( I have quite a lot of armpit hair so I don't know if that affects it) I can't lift my arms and around my pits. Also I have a lot of hair around it. . If it cannot come from your under arm it will find another outlet, with me itโ€™s my back and chest and groin which run with sweat, this is also a possible side effect of me which did dry palms. My mother had this problem and received radio therapy; my sister had some sweat glands surgically removed but that left horrible scarring. I now fear for my teenage son who is beginning to show the same symptoms. If anyone can help us please get in touch.

Viewing 8 reply threads
Reply To: Smelly Feet
Your information:

Skip to toolbar