Smoking cigarettes and HH

Posted In: Iontophoresis Forum

• Participant
        Shaniqua Jordon on #4135

Hey yall,

I've been doing iontophoresis for a couple months now, started in mid April. I was having minor success until I quit smoking cigarettes completely. I wasn't a super heavy smoker but I was beginning to reach a half a pack a day and decided enough was enough. In the past when I would take breaks from cigarettes I would always use a nicotine replacement, i.e gum, vape thing, even tried chewing tobacco! This time I bit the bullet and decided to go nicotine free because I heard nicotine may also increase sweating. I've had HH long before I've ever touched a cigarette so if it was only that easy.. trust me. But it has been years since I've been completely nicotine free and now after 6 weeks of ionto and 1 week nicotine free I had my first dry day all day on my hands! Has anyone else had any experience with nicotine of caffeine and HH?? As if smoking isn't bad enough for you already!!

clarke on #4424

I think there might be a connection between smoking and hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis started for me at university after I started smoking. Then one time I stopped smoking my underarm sweat went away.

Acetylcholine is the chemical messenger which is believed to be related to anxiety sweating. One thing smoking does is that it increases the amount of acetylcholine receptors which probably means the acetylcholine is having more of an effect on the body than when it normally would.

When smoking cessation occurs, the body takes time to re-adjust the number of receptors to their normal levels, that's what causes some of the withdrawal symptoms. So smoking doesn't cause sweating on a cigarette by cigarette basis, the smoking would have to be stopped for a while before sweating would begin to taper off.

It might be interesting to find out if any other things we do as part of a normal lifestyle increases acetylcholine activity. Because smoking is clearly not the only cause.

Nolan on #5948

This is great information guys, thank you all.

Diego on #8361

Smoking can affect your body in many ways, all are negative, and some evidence shows it can also cause excessive sweating. Nicotine in cigarettes causes the release of acetylcholine, a chemical that leads to sweaty episodes which stimulates sweat glands. Smoking really can cause more sweating than normal. Smoking also raises your body temperature, which also contributes to sweating. Just like alcohol, when you quit on smoking cigarettes, you tend to perspire more heavily as well. But a little sweatiness is nothing compared to the health benefits, which include the prospect of a longer and healthier life ahead of you.

Dean C on #17327

Yeah it is bad I know… I have recently started smoking (nicotine use gum and cigarettes) in the last few years just about now (I know crazy me), I am nearly thirty six and have had this damn condition evident since maybe 10 or so years of age. So a long time and yes whenever I use these substances I turn into a pool of sweat in the palms as I have palmar HH mostly… We need a cure for this condition already. It is 2021 after all.

Ash B on #20856

This may not be the most important reason to quit smoking, but go ahead and add it to the list: smoking makes you sweaty. When you smoke, the nicotine releases acetylcholine, a chemical that leads to sweaty episodes. Smoking also raises your body temperature, which also contributes to sweating. Just like alcohol, when you kick smoking, you tend to perspire more heavily as well. But a little sweatiness is nothing compared to the health benefits, which include the prospect of a longer, healthier life.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Smoking cigarettes and HH
Your information:

Skip to toolbar