Sympathotomy

Val on #7111

Hello. I was just wondering what the cost is like for the sympathotomy surgery for hyperhidrosis and how effective is it. Also what are the common side effect if any? Is it worth the risk?

Bro. John on #10815

A sympathotomy basically involves cutting the sympathetic nerve, which is the nerve that controls the sweat reaction. Research and experience have proven that cutting the sympathetic nerve in specific places can improve effectiveness and reduce any side effects.

Sympathotomies are performed using VATS—Video-Assisted Thoracopscopic Surgery. This system allows your doctor to make a very small incision in the underarm area. Using a camera and scope, your doctors can isolate the sympathetic nerve with microscopic precision.

Patients with sweating on their palms and underarm can expect 100% effectiveness. Sweating on face and scalp can also experience success. However, patients with sweating on their feet don’t always experience success after surgery.

The surgery is outpatient, which means you leave the hospital on the same day. Patients have high satisfaction ratings after surgery, depending on where they first experienced hyperhidrosis.

John Crisman on #20217

Sympathectomy is another surgery used to treat hyperhidrosis. This is major surgery, which a surgeon performs in an operating room. During sympathectomy, the surgeon tries to stop the nerve signals that your body sends to the sweat glands. To do this, the surgeon will cut or destroy certain nerves. As with any surgery that requires anesthesia, risks include breathing problems or reactions to the medicines used to help you relax during the procedure.

Before the surgery, you will be given medicine (anesthesia) so you go to sleep. You won't feel or remember the procedure. The surgeon will make 2 to 3 small incisions (cuts) on one side of your chest below your underarm. Next, your lung will be temporarily collapsed and moved aside to allow the surgeon to reach the nerve chain along your spine.

The surgeon will then insert a small video camera and surgical tools to view and maneuver the nerve chain. Next, the surgeon will cut or clamp the nerve chain at the right level, depending on your exact symptoms.

When finished, the surgeon will re-expand the lung, remove the camera and instruments, and sew shut the incision. Then the surgeon will repeat the procedure on your other side. The entire surgery takes about an hour.

Talk with your healthcare provider about what you will experience during your sympathectomy.

Val on #27674

I undergo this surgery for my excessive sweating on my feet. Works well so far.

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: Sympathotomy
Your information:

Skip to toolbar