THE BEST CLOTHES FOR PEOPLE WHO SWEAT EXCESSIVELY

Katie Wilson on #10714
        Excessive sweating is a challenge. Especially when it comes to dressing. From top to bottom (shoes, sandals). It is important to learn to manage their sweat to improve their quality of life. This can done by managing hyperhidrosis with a doctor, or via alternative methods. One of these methods is to choose clothing that allows you to control, or absorb excessive sweat.
        In most cases, hyperhidrosis is not dangerous, but wearing clothing on top of moist skin can cause irritation. The worst case scenario would be if the irritation on the skin turned into an active skin infection.
        Wearing clothing that allows for breathability and using over-the-counter topical treatments for hyperhidrosis may help prevent the issues.
        A shirt may sound like a simple thing, but it is hard to choose one when someone has pit stain problems. Plain white t-shirts can always can always work in a pinch. It is best not to choose colors like light gray or anything bright as these will highlight stains.
        There are pads specifically made to soak up underarm sweat. These conveniently adhere to garments and can be used in cases where other measures may just not be enough. You can also use special powders on your feet to prevent moisture build up and irritation.
        Sometimes sweat just happen, so it is a good idea to bring back up clothes. Hyperhidrosis can be managed with alternative methods, like wearing certain types of clothing, so that someone’s life is less affected by the constant sweating that is part of their daily life.
        melvin on #10750

Hi Katie,

I might be a great article if you mentioned certain types, or brand of clothes or shirt that help manage hyperhidrosis.

Thanks,
        Melvin

Jason S on #10985

For me the best shirt is Thompson Tee Men’s Sweat Proof Undershirt. It was designed to prevent sweat stains and it features patented Hydro-Shield sweat proof technology with a center seam to separate front and back panels to ensure a sleek and tailored fit. I tried it and I could say it is made from 100% cotton, the undershirt looks and feels like a traditional undershirt. I really love this one it hides my underarm sweat even at the most hottest time of the day.

Reynante on #11585

Some people—myself included—just sweat and don’t stop sweating no matter what products they use or what foods they avoid. In those cases, you’re left with some limited options (unless you want to get Botox injected in your armpits). One of the ways you can take control over you sweat issues is by dressing to hide it away.

There are plenty of options in the clothing realm to keep you looking like a normal dry person. For starters, the colors you wear make a huge difference. James Harris, writing for Complex, shares some tips on what colors you should and shouldn’t put on your abnormally moist body:

Dark colors like navy and black won’t show wet stains that badly, and neither will very light colors like white. Grays, blues, and bright colors are the worst options for hiding sweat, and they’ll definitely show the world that you can’t stand the heat.

Additionally, certain types of patterns can help you hide glaring wet spots too. You can wear patterns like plaid or camo and sweat won’t stand out. You may also want to wear something underneath your visible clothing. Mike Theobald at Everyday Health suggests dressing in layers:

Wear a breathable undershirt to absorb sweat before it reaches the outer layer of your clothing. Adding a jacket or cardigan in a breathable material may also help keep sweat from coming into view. Just be sure your layers are thin or appropriate to the season — you don’t want to feel overheated and worsen the problem.

Besides color and the number of layers you wear, you might also want to think about the materials you’re wearing. Something breathable is beneficial, but as Men’s Health points out, cotton is king:

It breathes. True, cotton is exactly the wrong thing to wear in the gym when you sweat hard—it soaks up the sweat instead of wicking it away. But in the moderately moist conditions of the office, cotton is your choice for staying cool. Polyester or poly/cotton blends tend to trap heat, causing you to sweat more.

There’s nothing wrong with trying to dress to impress, but being comfortable in what you’re wearing is your number one priority. If an outfit is going highlight your sweaty spots, you’re probably better off wearing something else.

Eric Feuerstein on #19654

I am a photographer and yesterday I shot an outdoor wedding in 104 degree temp heat. It wasn't my first time shooting in that temperature, but this was the first time with the Thompson Tee as an undershirt.

Normally, after a couple of hours, the sweat would start showing though my dress shirt so I would need to go change my undershirt before it get stained. With this shirt, I went through the whole day and didn't have any issue. When I got home, I checked it, the inside pad was wet but it didn't bleed though my dress shirt. Yes, this costs more than regular undershirts, but then consider the offsetting costs. They wash well and hold up great.

Lyn Ramirez on #24828

Cotton is the best fabric to protect against sweat because it helps in keeping your body cool. Wear shirts that are light, breathable and shirts that fit more loosely. This will allow your underarms to be ventilated thus preventing them from sweating and staining your clothes.
        Lighter colors also help to reflect the sun rather than absorb it. Wearing shirts with lighter colors can help keep you cool and reduce sweat.
        When this isn’t an option, choose dark colors or distracting patterns that hide the sweat. You can also try layering your outfits so that the sweat won't be visible on the outer layer.

Leon Lee on #25066

Natural fabrics like cotton and linen allow better airflow, so they can help you dry out faster. They also absorb liquid better than many other fabrics.
        Wear darker color T-shirts like black and navy blue during your active days. Yellow stains or sweat stains on clothes will be less noticeable.
        You can buy wipes infused with active ingredients to prevent sweating.
        if you have lots of budget, You can also try and buy ready made shirts with underarm pads that helps absorb sweat. There are couples of brands in the market that sells Undershirts with pads.
        I think Undershirts with pads are the best option to wear when you need to go to your workplace everyday.

April Kim on #25436

I sweat a lot more than the average person and Linen is my life saver.
        Linen is the most comfortable to wear during summer .
        With regards to comfort, linen scores best on ventilation, breathability, comfort, liquid absorption and moisture management while still being able to retain the heat.
        Linen is very absorbent and dries very fast making it a good choice for those of us who struggle with heavy sweating.
        Linen is very breathable, allows air to move around freely and thus, releases moisture very fast.
        Definitely a safe choice for anyone experiencing some type of discomfort such as night sweats.

Sunny Myers on #28125

Everyone experiences hyperhidrosis differently and has different preferences for clothing.
        However, here are some general tips that may help you in choosing clothing to wear with hyperhidrosis.
        • Avoiding tight or constricting clothing.
        • Look for breathable fabrics.
        • Choose light colors because it will not show sweat stains as easily.
        • Wear layers so that you can easily take off or add clothing as needed.
        • Use disposable sweat pads.
        • Always bring extra clothes at work.
        • Use dark coat or blazer during meeting or class. With these, you can hide your sweat
        stains.

Viewing 8 reply threads
Reply To: THE BEST CLOTHES FOR PEOPLE WHO SWEAT EXCESSIVELY
Your information:

Skip to toolbar