The effect of surgery

Dee Vee on #6676

There are some side effects that may occur as a result of surgery. One common side effect is compensatory sweating: Excessive sweating shifts from the hands, armpits, or face to another area of the body, such as the chest, abdomen, or groin area. It is the most common side effect, and occurs to some extent in virtually every patient undergoing this operation. Most patients find that compensatory sweating is an acceptable trade-off. A few of the more potential complications of surgery include the following : Incisional pain, bleeding, infection and lung injury. The risk of these complications is less than 1 percent. Horner's Syndrome: A complication that affects one side of the face including droopy eyelid, constricted pupil, and loss of sweating. Horner's Syndrome occurs in only a fraction of 1 percent of patients and, at times, corrects on its own. Risk factors vary from surgery to surgery. Also, a patient's underlying conditions may increase their risk for certain side effects.

brooklin on #6876

-hai,
        I have a hyperhidrosis and it was often become noticeable during childhood and my adolescence days. In many cases, the sweating can be quite severe, affecting my everyday life and causing social embarrassment. I feel uncomfortable, self-conscious and have an altered self-image due to the relentless, excessive sweating. It is that the excessive sweating may be brought on by my stress, emotions or exercise. However, it also can occur spontaneously. I was thinking to take some surgeries that is effective and worth it. I need some help. Thanks.

Tyler on #8094

A big YES, anyone who undergoes ETS surgery is at risk of developing compensatory sweating. Especially on adults who already have a propensity to sweat in inguinal folds, buttocks, back or upper thighs are considered to be at the highest risk of developing compensatory sweating. It is said that the higher a patient’s body mass index, the more likely they were to develop the condition. There are also other factors like age, sex, family history and the co-occurrence of plantar hyperhidrosis that are also thought to increase the likelihood of an individual developing compensatory sweating.

Kevin G on #8263

While stopping overactive sweat glands might sound ideal, hyperhidrosis surgery or ETS surgery can have serious side effects, and is generally not recommended. I would say that ETS surgery is permanent and irreversible and risking the side effects of compensatory sweat may not be worth it. I would suggest everyone to do extensive research and talk to a dermatologist and physician before making the decision of getting the surgery. As with any medical condition, surgery should be your last option. Nearly all ETS patients experience some degree of compensatory sweating. It can be the same or more extreme than your original excessive sweating condition.

Kristine on #9658

I had gustatory sweating after ETS surgery, it is the sweating of my face while eating or smelling certain types of foods. I always sweat when I smell spicy foods and I hate it. They said side effects are almost constant, unavoidable, and are often the price that patients pay for treating hyperhidrosis with surgery. I do not want to be like this all my life. I need some help!

Viewing 4 reply threads
Reply To: The effect of surgery
Your information:

Skip to toolbar