Total Body Hyperhidrosis

Posted In: Hyperhidrosis Forum

• Participant
        Donna Lee on #2976

I have had total body hyperhidrosis for about 4 years. It was mild to moderate and I use to joke about hot flashes. I worked in a dental office so I was able to keep a fan on a desk when I had an episode. This past year 2014 and now 5/2015 it is at its' worse. I use to carry a few pieces of paper towels nor I carry a hand towel. My shirts get soaked and I have an episode about once EVERY HOUR. I RECENTLY MOVED from upstate NY to NC. It does not matter where I live. My new doctor did testing urine and blood work. Normal all normal, he spoke with an endocrinologist and I was not surprised to learn that there is not a cure or answer in some cases. With my extensive research I read this fact several times but it devastated me to read it from my doctor. I have severe DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY. I hate going out anywhere I have done everything to adjust my lifestyle to this condition. I bought light flannel shirts cut the sleeves a bit shorter because they help soak up the sweat more efficiently than some other fabrics. Is there anyone who has the same problem and have any suggestions for me? Thanks form Donna in North Carolina

Lisa on #3006

Hello Donna,
        I am 41 years old, I have the same problem I had surgery for my hands sweating around the age of 30 although it helped my hands now I swear all over. I've noticed since I'm getting older it has gotten worse. I am so depressed I don't do anything outside the house my clothes get soaked. I can't wear sandals or flip flops this has taken over my life!

Geraldine on #3532

Hi Donna, Hi Lisa,

You two are not alone. Many people are suffering about this problem a lot and most of them found treatment and relief. The first step is to determine whether an underlying medical condition or a medication may be the root of the problem.

With any type of sweating problem, it is important to find a knowledgeable physician about all-over sweating. A physician can look at your medical history, provide an examination, run any necessary tests, consider any medications you may be taking and provide other professional insights.

A knowledgeable physician, who has experience with hyperhidrosis, can diagnosis and treat excessive sweating. Dermatologists are generally the best doctors for treating excessive sweating that's not controlled by OTC products. They are usually more familiar with hyperhidrosis treatment, especially when sweating is severe.

-Jiji

Jenna on #6059

Is a dermatologist still the best one to see if you have hyperhidrosis all over? I don't sweat so bad on my hands and feet, but the rest of me….especially my head, underarms, chest and pelvic area are so bad. I was told maybe an endocrinologist? Thanks in advance!

• Participant
        JR31 on #3587

Hi everyone. I'm like Lisa in that I had the surgery (ETS and Lumbar Sympathectomy) around 15-17 years ago, and can say from experience that excessive sweating over large areas is horrendous at times. Without a doubt, compensatory sweating (at it's worst) is more of a daily challenge than excessive palm and foot sweating ever was I find.

In terms of things that help all-over sweating, in the past I turned to medications such as Ditropan, and Robinul/Avert/Glycopyrrolate. These were somewhat effective, but the main problem was the side-effects. They basically cause general body dryness, but this leads to dry mouth, difficulty urinating, dry eyes etc. Also, they can be expensive, so after a few years I decided that I would not use them anymore.

Over the years I've tried the various prescription-strength anti-perspirants for large areas like the back. Out of them all, I prefer Odaban (e.g. because it's a spray so easier to use than a roll-on I'd say).

Under-t-shirts, tank tops and vests are all a life-saver for me in terms of stopping sweat showing through on the outer top.

Fennel tea was recommended by a member of another forum for compensatory sweating. I've been drinking it for maybe two or three weeks. I can't tell yet if it's having any effect but it's quite cheap and supposedly healthy, so I'm going to stick with it.

I've tried countless herbs, supplements ets (e.g. sage and astragalus) but found none of them noticeably effective.

In addition, as a person who sweats over large areas I now just try generally to focus on being as healthy as possible. I'd put on two stones (at least) through years of weekend binge-drinking, eating takeaways and not exercising enough, but have managed to lose 1 stone 10 lbs over the last two years through jogging and tai chi, drinking much less and eating better. Tai chi I find particularly enjoyable, and this is reputed to have all kinds of health benefits, including for nerve damage, which as a post-surgery person obviously is very appealing! 🙂

Anyway, I hope everyone has an enjoyable Christmas, and keep battling!

michelle on #3826

I have not been diagnosed with having hyperhidrosis but my doctor thinks this may be the case. It started very gradually as I would sweat on my face and in my hair and sometimes my back. it would happen usually when it was over 80 degrees outside. It started about 2 months after my last son was born around march of 2013. It got worse that summer and when it was cooler outside it would subside. Then last year around june 2015 it started getting worse. I would go to the store to get groceries and when I got home I had to change all my clothes, including undergarments. I was soaked completely my hair, my back and groin area. It wasnt every day but at least 3-4 days a week. more recently this past winter starting around nov-dec 2015 it has gotten so bad that I wear shorts around the house, Im always hot and even sweat all over just doing common tasks in my house. Sometimes sweat all over just sitting on the couch watching tv. I feel like I cant go out in public because everyone stares at me because im ALWAYS sweating. I have hair just below my shoulders but almost never wear it down because it gets so wet all the time. I just put it up in a ponytail bun but it still is so hot. I just dont know what to do now. I hate going to the store because im always soaked.

Kenny on #6299

haii
        For me effective hyperhidrosis treatments are available. Although no treatment is perfect, hyperhidrosis medications and procedures can help many people with the condition. Tried almost everything but nothing worked, but the ItsDri sweat proof undershirts is really an effective product. Highly recommend this product. It is really comfortable to wear and has a great quality. Hope this help.

althea on #6516

hai
        For me, Sweating is a normal way for the body to hydrate itself. But excessive sweating in a cool in the office is another story. People sometimes can't relate with this as an actual problem because they have never lived a day where they couldn't control about how much they sweat a day. And that is a problem. The bottom line is that it is unattractive. And that can make you insecure. Not to mention that you are always uncomfortable in clothes. What I noticed that helps is finding a antiperspirant that has a average amount of aluminum. Too high and sure you clog up the pores, but you run the risk of getting rashes and a burning feeling as a negative side affect for your hyperhidrosis treatments. Get one that is too low and you still have to deal with the excessive sweating, except now you have pit stains because when you mix aluminum with sweat, they stain your cloths. But, someone with uncontrollable sweating needs to try all types of brands and ideas, because something will work for you. All you have to do is don't give up on your hyperhidrosis treatments.

steve on #6521

I Have been suffering from really bad sweat patches under my arms.I Find it so hard to cope.I Tend to keep my coat on all day if i can even through lessons because my problem is so bad.I Feel So Uncomfortable And I Just wish it would all go away.My mum has a thing about certain deodorants,she doesn't like me using deodorants with aluminum in And to be honest i don't know why? but i just need a solution that can help me im fed up now 🙁 i love sport but i find it so hard to be able to do it when continually im having wetness under my arms.Its coming up for the summer months now and i would really like to be able to wear some nice clothes to school but NO I cant because of this problem.My friends are always like “you must be hot with that coat on” ” why don't you take it off” And i would love to but i cant 🙁 so if anyone has any useful tips then please please help me much appreciated 🙂

James on #9561

Steven, The only thing that stops my armpits from sweating is Odaban or Driclor. I have truncal hyperhidrosis and it's a nightmare, having to change my shirt several times a day as well as my shorts! Both of these antiperspirants contain aluminum but there is no scientific evidence that proves there is a link to cancer. I will use one either of these products for about 7-9 months of the year then take a break. They keep my pits bone dry. Be careful when using as they can irritate your pits in a big way. Make sure your armpits are bone dry before applying at bedtime, I do not apply it directly to my pits I apply it on to cotton wool then dab my pits 3-4 times I then skip a day and repeat the process. I have found that this reduces the burning sensation, where you're up half the night scratching your armpits to pieces! After repeating the process for several nights my armpits become bone dry and I then only have to repeat the process 1 or 2 times weekly. I really hope this helps.

Rick on #12535

Developed hypothyroid about years ago untreated. Temperature was normal until a year ago then began to drop to 94°F range. Now on NT dessicated bovine thyroid, temperatures much improved. Recently extreme full body hyperhidrosis developed even just walking to the kitchen. Often as I lay in bed at night.

Viewing 9 reply threads
Reply To: Total Body Hyperhidrosis
Your information:

Skip to toolbar