Writing exams with sweaty hands

Posted In: Hyperhidrosis Forum

• Participant
        Zoey Q on #1098

Help! My sweaty hands are getting wetter and wetter, and this year was the worst one so far. I have several weeks now to find the solution, otherwise I'll be flunking everything once new semester starts!
        My method up until now was to use a plain white cloth handkerchief, keep it on the table and wipe my hands against it during the exam. Unfortunately, one of my professors was skeptical ( he thought I was cheating), and although he examined the handkerchief and saw it's empty, I still feel uncomfortable using it again.

Ideas wanted: how to stop sweaty hands from ruining my exams?

• Participant
        Aruna Ravi on #1101

Hi Zoey! I have been through the same situation and I know how hard it is to face exams when you are having hyperhidrosis. You could talk to your professor about your condition. Most will understand and will help with some special accommodation. If your school / university has an office for students with disabilities, you should get in touch with them and they may be able to ensure that you get the special accommodation such as extra time and reduced distraction space when you need to take class tests. At the same time, try medication such as night time topical “hypercare” or iontophoresis therapy a few times a week. I understand that excessive sweating especially sweaty palms / feet can be very annoying and come in the way of many things but there are people around you who care about you. Talk to your dear ones, relax and follow the above mentioned steps and your life could become much better. Good luck to you!

–Aruna

• Participant
        Tim Fleiss on #1102

Hello! Aruna gave you a good advice: that's the best course of action.
        However, if it turns out that your school or professor show no understanding, you can always use latex gloves as an emergency tool. It's highly uncomfortable, I know, but if your sweaty hands aren't literally dripping, you might be able to pull of shorter exams this way. Just to be sure it works for you, try it at home before you use this method to write an exam.

• Participant
        Zoey Q on #1103

Thank you, both of you. Much appreciated! 🙂
        I will talk to my professor and a counselor and see what the school's take on this is. As much as I dislike being marked as a student with a “disability”, it's still better than flunking. I'm guessing they might require some medical reports – currently I don't have this, but I planned on seeing a physician anyway. Wish me luck!

Akshita on #3838

Hi zoey my recommend is that u use vinegar 2 to 3 times a day and Use a grip pen while writing continue I will help u…

Andre V on #2980

Hi Zoey, this might be a little late but worth a shot.
        I've had the sweaty palm problem for quite a few years but throughout any situation where i needed to write something (an exam for instance), I always used a card. By card i mean a student card, your grocery points card or whatever. Some card that's plastic, that you can keep track of, and not freak out if you lose. Then again student card might be a bit reckless ^^ but I live on the edge like Austin Powers.
        You'll sweat onto the card, so just wipe it off on your pants (whatever works for you) every few minutes as fit. Eventually your hands stop sweating and you can catch a break. I've done this since middle school and throughout uni, and it's worked like a charm. Helps get rid of some embarrassment from wetting paper too!

Cheers!

-Andre

Akshita on #3839

Hi

Akshita on #3834

Hi zoey, I recommend u that u should use avinegar 2to3 times a day and use a pen
        Which will have a grip..all the best for our exams

Pragyan on #3835

HI zoey, I recommend u that use vinegar 2 to 3 times a day and use a grip pen while writing exams ….
        Reply me

Pragyan on #3836

Hi

Pragyan on #3837

Hi

Madhu on #5509

Hi Zoey! I used to have the same situation that was aggravated with exam stress. I like Aruna's advice on full disclosure since I got frisked multiple times because I used a handkerchief and ended up losing precious time at every test. (We didn't have special needs services when I was in school). I used to place the kerchief under the part of my hand that touches the paper while writing and just move it along as you write. This was a lifesaver!

Anil Shah on #5619

Hello,

There are a variety of techniques to decrease sweating:

• Botox- Botox is helpful in that it can decrease the production of sweat but not odor.  It typically lasts about 6 months in the under arm area.
        • Miradry-  Miradry uses microwave energy to destroy apocrine and eccrine glands.  It is better at eccrine gland destruction than apocrine and is currently only used on the underarm area.
        • RF needling- Can be used anywhere on the body and can destroy both apocrine and eccrine glands.  Has become the procedure of choice in my practice for hyperhidrosis due to its effectiveness.
        • Nerve ablation-Not commonly performed anymore as side effects are often worse than treatment and effectiveness is often limited.
        • Oral medications- Too many side effects to be effective.
        • Topical medications- Works by blocking glands.  Many patients state how not effective mechanism.

DacPersUnef on #25655

pokoje u ani augustow [url=https://www.pokoje-w-augustowie.online]https://www.pokoje-w-augustowie.online[/url]
        prywatne noclegi w zakopanem https://www.pokoje-w-augustowie.online/groupon-noclegi-podlaskie

Sammy on #28657
        My 14-year-old son gets sweaty palms before an exam. The condition became so intense before a recent exam that he soaked through ten tissue papers. After that certain incident, I encouraged him to drink plenty of water throughout the day to remain hydrated. I also give him a cotton handkerchief to wipe his hands when he feels sweaty during the day.
Viewing 12 reply threads
Reply To: Writing exams with sweaty hands
Your information:

Cancel
Skip to toolbar