Anode or the Cathode

Posted In: Iontophoresis Forum

• Participant
        James Daimari on #1406

In the Hidrex 1000, which electrode is the one which, affect the excessive sweating? Is it the anode or the cathode.. And is it the red one or the black one? I basically want to use both my hands in one tray, and one of my feet to complete the circuit, to shorten the period of the treatment. I want to treat my palms and not my feet.
        Regards,
        James

• Keymaster
        Rohit on #1407

James,

Not sure if I understand the question fully, but let me attempt.

In the pulsed current mode, Cathode and Anode switch frequently… so it doesn't really matter which plate you use for hands or for feet as both will get equal exposure to Cathode and to Anode.

So, I am assuming you mean to use the Hidrex PSP 1000 in direct current mode.

There is some postulation about anode having a better inhibitory effect on sweating than cathode (see this), but this is really unproven for most part. So if you want to try, you could use Hidrex PSP 1000 in DC mode, and use the anode (red one) on your hands and cathode on your feet.

I wont really recommend doing what you plan to do… but who knows! Try it out, and let us know how it went. Good luck!

• Participant
        Casper on #1408

Hi James,

Hmm, I've never heard you can shorten the treatments by using anode only. I have to admit I would be afraid to use one tub/electrode for both hands, and yeah as Robert said, I don't think that's recommended… Personally I think Hidrex is more comfortable in the pulsed current mode, but that's just me.

Your idea seems like an interesting experiment and I don't know anyone who did this, so I would love to hear about it. Hopefully I'll cya around. Oh, and good luck with this! 🙂

• Participant
        James Daimari on #1425

Hi Robert and Casper,
        Actually I live in India and there is no vendor here who supplies the Hidrex machines locally. I had been using a locally manufactured device which had only DC mode of operation. The problem was, in the DC mode the pain was just too much to bear, and sometimes there used to be an irritation on my skin along the waterline (where the water just touched the ‘undipped' part of my hands). So what did was, I started treating only one palm at a time and used one foot to complete the circuit. This left my other hand free so I used a toothpick to scratch the hand which was being treated if it started to itch along the waterline. Now am planning to get the Hidrex machine, and it was just a passing thought, whether I could do the same with it. And if like they say, that the anode works better (statistically), maybe one could just dip both the hands in one tray and use one foot to complete the circuit, and save some time. And plus with the free hand one could operate a device ( laptop, mp3 player etc). I used to use my mp3 player and listen to some music to forget the pain!

So just a thought!
        Regards,
        James

• Participant
          Casper on #1426

Oh, I see, James, I understand what you meant now.

Well if you do get Hidrex, you can always first try using it normally at lower pulsed current – maybe this way it won't hurt.
          My hands are also sensitive and I can tell you that this type of itch you're having is probably pretty common. Try taking petroleum jelly or Vaseline and apply it along that part of your hands – you know, where the waterline is. This helped me reduce itching!

• Participant
        Sean M. on #1427

Hello James, welcome to the site!

I have an idea regarding availability of Hidrex – did you try buying it through e-bay or a similar website? Someone could be selling a used machine… Just an idea. 🙂 And I hope you'll find a way to treat your hands without harming your skin.

Viewing 4 reply threads
Reply To: Anode or the Cathode
Your information:

Skip to toolbar